PSVR 2, anyone interested?

Soldato
If indeed they've got foveated rendering really nailed then performance could be fantastic on PS5 level hardware even with high fidelity games.

I saw in that leak that it will be HDR too - I believe that would be a first for VR headsets.

I also really like the idea of the adaptive triggers in VR controller form, I think those would be great.

Will watch with interest!

Soldato
I doubt I'll be buying a ps5 regardless but i love the extra challenger driving the tech in a meaningful way. Even if oculus can do these things by the time quest 3 comes out, this will help force them into actually releasingit rather than holding back for a future release.

Associate
If indeed they've got foveated rendering really nailed then performance could be fantastic on PS5 level hardware even with high fidelity games.

I saw in that leak that it will be HDR too - I believe that would be a first for VR headsets.

I also really like the idea of the adaptive triggers in VR controller form, I think those would be great.

Will watch with interest!
Yeah it all sounds really fantastic! I'm very excited for what that screen may look like, almost 4k, OLED and hdr in vr sounds too good to be true. And yeah the dualsense has quickly become my favorite controller in part due to those adaptive triggers and feedback. These features do sound expensive though so hoping the price isn't insane

Soldato
Might be better off selling your ps5 now, and buying second hand when the headset is nearly out? If you don't use it at all of course.

I have thought of it, but am not one to sell for more than rrp and will definitely be playing it at some point - next Naughty Dog game - so might as well hang on to it. I can still fire up tjhe original PSVR as well.

Associate
I hope they include backwards compatability (even if I had to use ps4 controller).

I'm hoping more triple a title's come across to vr destiny, dark souls and returnal would be amazing in vr.

Associate
I have thought of it, but am not one to sell for more than rrp and will definitely be playing it at some point - next Naughty Dog game - so might as well hang on to it. I can still fire up tjhe original PSVR as well.
I mean I can vouch for a bunch of ps5 games, obviously aren't vr but I assume you still play non vr games. Demon's Souls, Ratchet and Clank, Spider Man (and Miles Morales) and the ps5 versions of games like God of War and Ghost of Tsushima. I've also heard great things about Returnal but haven't got it yet.

Soldato
PSVR 2 is shaping up to be a Killer with nasty specs that make current PC VR headsets twitch

leaked from a game developer who is working on VR games for ps5 (apparently Sony has started giving out devkit headsets)

resolution: 2000x2040 per eye, OLED panel with up to 120hz, 120 degree FOV

Tracking: Inside out tracking for controllers, Eye tracking and Foveated rendering.

Features: physical IPD adjustment. Haptic feedback (yes the headset itself has haptic feedback motors so you really don't want to get shot in the game). Connects to the ps5 using a single USB type c cable

It's about time VR got those specs to be honest. It's been crying out for it. Should be pretty awesome. The PSVR games were always good (albeit most were kinda like demos), just the PS and VR hardware let it down.

Now the biggest problem will be actually getting one. I can see them all ending up on ebay for £1,000.

Soldato
Considering current hardware cannot full drive current headsets, I'm not sure it's about time :D. Though OLED 120 degrees sounds very nice. But it's not even going to have a release date announced until next year. So whilst current headsets won't match it, it won't be competing with current headsets when it comes out.

The thing for me is if they've genuinely got eye tracking to work with the rendering. That's a huge deal in making not only current hardware sufficient, but giving a really high quality experience (with a large enough FOV).

I'm probably not going to be able to justify buying a ps5 and a psvr, but hopefully it'll mean the tech gets into other headsets soon enough too.

Associate
It's about time VR got those specs to be honest. It's been crying out for it. Should be pretty awesome. The PSVR games were always good (albeit most were kinda like demos), just the PS and VR hardware let it down.

Now the biggest problem will be actually getting one. I can see them all ending up on ebay for £1,000.
The screen is also HDR which is a first on vr as far as I've heard! That's pretty crazy and could really dazzle. Hopefully I don't damage my eyes turning it up too much...

Soldato
Really interesting stuff on the psvr2 potential tech.

Eye tracking using the micro oled screen itself to track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS3_LGdus4M

I mean this isn't foveated rendering yet, but still, a good step forwards. If they can nail that, then things really start to fall into place. As bradley points out in the video, it's also a very useful technology to implement into their digital camera range too, so even if VR stays niche, it's a useful tech for them to pile money into regardless.

Soldato
Really interesting stuff on the psvr2 potential tech.

Eye tracking using the micro oled screen itself to track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS3_LGdus4M

I mean this isn't foveated rendering yet, but still, a good step forwards. If they can nail that, then things really start to fall into place. As bradley points out in the video, it's also a very useful technology to implement into their digital camera range too, so even if VR stays niche, it's a useful tech for them to pile money into regardless.

The reason Sony keeps delaying PSVR2 is because they keep changing it

Back
Top Bottom