Public speaking?

Associate
I remember a while back reading a thread where someone was asking for advice about public speaking. Someone suggested a book or audio CD or something. Does anyone know what it was, or have a link to the thread? (I tried searching, but no luck - maybe I searched badly :S).

Ta.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Lagz said:
Ta. Anyone think it actually makes a difference?

If I remember correctly, most people who had tried the book/cd gave positive feedback. Mckenna's Self help books aren't usually slated, and it may well help you to have a look.

I assume that you're not fond of public speaking? What about small groups?

edit*

here's the thread

Associate
OP
Raz said:
If I remember correctly, most people who had tried the book/cd gave positive feedback. Mckenna's Self help books aren't usually slated, and it may well help you to have a look.

I assume that you're not fond of public speaking? What about small groups?

When I was at secondary school we used to take it in turns to read out of a text book in certain classes. I was quite shy at that time and somewhere along the line I developed quite a severe phobia of reading in class. I would shake, sweat, breath insanely fast, feel dizzy etc etc. This phobia extended a bit to presentations, although to a slightly lesser extent.

Now I'm not shy at all. I'm a pretty confident person. I have absolutely no issues talking to new people, making friends etc. I teach in small groups (3 or 4 people) regularly with no problems at all. Unfortunately I'm still left with this completely irrational fear of presenting infront of larger groups, although it isnt nearly as severe as it used to be. It gets slightly better every time I do one, however it would be pretty good if I could manage to speed this process up. Hopefully something like this might help?

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Lagz said:
When I was at secondary school we used to take it in turns to read out of a text book in certain classes. I was quite shy at that time and somewhere along the line I developed quite a severe phobia of reading in class. I would shake, sweat, breath insanely fast, feel dizzy etc etc. This phobia extended a bit to presentations, although to a slightly lesser extent.

Now I'm not shy at all. I'm a pretty confident person. I have absolutely no issues talking to new people, making friends etc. I teach in small groups (3 or 4 people) regularly with no problems at all. Unfortunately I'm still left with this completely irrational fear of presenting infront of larger groups, although it isnt nearly as severe as it used to be. It gets slightly better every time I do one, however it would be pretty good if I could manage to speed this process up. Hopefully something like this might help?

That's very similar to what I experience. Unfortunately, I still have difficulty with speaking in front of large audiences. To an extent, being a Superdrug manager helped (teams meetings etc), and I have to say that the book helped somewhat. It does make you think differently about yourself, and that's what was my problem - the thought of making a mistake or making a fool of myself.

It's not a case of speeding it up, but dealing with every situation that bit differently, step by step, until it's a natural part of you.

Have you looked at the thread?

Soldato
Raz said:
I actually bought that :o

Didn't really help though, still a nervous wreck!

maybe reading it might help?

:D
LOL it's like when all else fails dig the manual out of the bin.

I have to do the odd presentation as part of my work and I suck at it big time. The only bit of advice I was given was to prepare really, really well for it. Know your speech/presentation so well that you feel comfortable and confident with it. And remember that your audience isn't expecting the panache of a politician so you don't get too overawed.

Might get that Paul McKenna stuff to see what it's like.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Everyone is the same. I've given about 5/6 presentations in the last two years now. The first few I was quite nervous and could feel myself shaking and not enunciating properly, but thankfully as I had the actual information and the ability to talk coherently, just, I passed with quite a high mark.

The second and third were pretty similar but I felt a wee bit more confident, didn't shake or mis pronunciate my words and I found a few focal points in the room. Generally, if you find something to look at, or someone you know, talk to them/that but remembering to look elsewhere, you'll find it easier.

Then, the last two I have done (which I remember) went very well because I was very confident with regards to the information I was talking about. In all fairness, none of my presentations have I practised. All of them I've researched extensively, ensured I know a lot of the background knowledge, put a few key points on slides and then just discussed these key points. Quite strange though as they're time limited, but somehow I managed to just either make it last or manage to wrap it up just a little bit over the limit which is allowed.

Suspended
Practise makes perfect. And when you start getting the pats on the back, that helps too. Thats all I can suggest I'm afraid - if you want a magic feather like Dumbo, go out and get one, but only you can make the difference.

Soldato
I think that Paul McKenna book will only work if you have an open mind. It works on the placebo effect basically, so if you believe it'll work, it probably will. I'm too skeptical for it unfortunately. And now I've said this it probably won't work on you either. Oops :p

Associate
OP
I've put an order in since its cheap on the rainforest. Guess its worth a try. Will have a look through the other thread.

My problem isn't that I'm nervous about doing a presentation itself. I'm very confident in my ability there. The problem is that I've got this physical reaction from school which has become wired in my brain, and then I'm worried about having the reaction.

I guess that means I'm worried about being worried - kinda stupid cycle. All I need to do is find a way to reverse the physical reaction once and then I'm better I guess.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I did a presentation today. I was a bit nervous, but it went really well and was definitely better than how I normally am. The content was pretty darn good as well, and people seemed to think it was a good presentation :). Maybe the book/CD does help! I think the best way to get over such issues is just to practice though (although this is difficult - you can only do presentations when the opportunity arrises).

Anyway off to get slashed :).

Associate
Don't imagine everyone naked - 9/10 times there'll be an absolute hottie sitting in the front row, and it won't be long before you stand to attention, so to speak.

This obviously leaves you with a fear of speaking in public places, and lots of people with a fear of you speaking in public places.

Back
Top Bottom