Pugs New Cinema Build (Double Garage Conversion)

Soldato
OP
Say hellloooo to my little friieennnddddd...

1-jpg.1450252
2-jpg.1450253

3-jpg.1450254

Soldato
OP
Hi All, so been a little idle on this one for some time, however, done a few tweaks etc and upgrades (got rid of the crap Sony X800 which constantly froze and replaced with a Panasonic 820 which is superb)... so here's a few pictures of latest bits and bobs...need to get this damn thing finished... hahaha, so at the minute:

1. Measure the window sills and the Terminator Arm sill and get some black marble ledges made up and installed.
  2. Got to finish off this boiler cupboard which still isn't done.
  3. Get the Pelmet on top of the sliding doors built and painted etc.
  4. Build the Alien Display
  5. Paint the staircase side of the cinema doors white, still nto painted yet.
  6. Finish the James Bond shelf both painting and get more signed photos.
20210521_110512-jpg.1515499

20210521_110522-jpg.1515500

20210521_110732-jpg.1515507

Soldato
OP
Quick update as I've been quiet this year. So, one of the interesting things I've noticed is how much better the ceiling speakers react and the rear surrounds if I force DTS-NeuralX instead of Atmos... John Wick was a perfect example when he's in the cemetary and it's raining. So, that's an Atmos soundtrack... but when I switch to DTS, you get more rain in the heights and rears without any other problems elsewhere in the sound stage. Noticed this quite a bit on films now where Atmos just isn't DOING ENOUGH...

Anyone else noticed this if they have Denon just how good the DTS-NeuralX is even with standard soundtracks that don't contain Atmos info?

Man of Honour
Quick update as I've been quiet this year. So, one of the interesting things I've noticed is how much better the ceiling speakers react and the rear surrounds if I force DTS-NeuralX instead of Atmos... John Wick was a perfect example when he's in the cemetary and it's raining. So, that's an Atmos soundtrack... but when I switch to DTS, you get more rain in the heights and rears without any other problems elsewhere in the sound stage. Noticed this quite a bit on films now where Atmos just isn't DOING ENOUGH...

Anyone else noticed this if they have Denon just how good the DTS-NeuralX is even with standard soundtracks that don't contain Atmos info?

I have to agree.

Most of the DTS MA 5.1 tracks sound far more emersive than most Atmos tracks when using up mixing. Maybe for me it's because my Atmos speakers are just front heights and I've only got 5 lower channels.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I have an ancient cinema compared with yours (i am only one equipment iteration on from my cinema being CRT projection based), but one thing which i have always found over many years, is that to my ears, DTS based soundtracks always sound more impressive/immersive/powerful than Dolby based. Not at all surprised to hear that nothing has changed with the latest technologies.

Soldato
OP
Glad it's just not me. Yep, DTS just sounds better... like a more complete sound. However, anyone who's running atmos setups, trust me, do the pepsi challenge, spin up John Wick, and listen out your rear and height speakers and swicth between atmos and DTS-NeuralX and it's incredible the difference, really surprised so I know which amp options I'll be using form now on!!!

Soldato
OP
Well long time since I've posted and done a few things... but this was added at the weekend... will post a few new piccies with a few bits and bobs I've done!

PureArts Terminator T-800 Battle Damaged 1:1 Scale Art Mask - Limited to 2029 Pieces Worldwide

whatsapp-image-2022-02-24-at-11-58-28-pm-jpeg.1659454

">
whatsapp-image-2022-02-24-at-11-58-29-pm-2-jpeg.1659455

">
whatsapp-image-2022-02-24-at-11-58-29-pm-jpeg.1659456

">
whatsapp-image-2022-02-24-at-11-58-29-pm-1-jpeg.1659457

Associate
Glad it's just not me. Yep, DTS just sounds better... like a more complete sound. However, anyone who's running atmos setups, trust me, do the pepsi challenge, spin up John Wick, and listen out your rear and height speakers and swicth between atmos and DTS-NeuralX and it's incredible the difference, really surprised so I know which amp options I'll be using form now on!!!
Just had a look at this and it would appear all the ceiling speakers are being fed the same signal, so fine for the rain scene in John Wick but it looks like you will lose direction effects, like a helicopter moving around above your head. Do the same Pepsi challenge with an Atmos demo like Dolby leaf and see what the difference is like.

Soldato
OP
Just had a look at this and it would appear all the ceiling speakers are being fed the same signal, so fine for the rain scene in John Wick but it looks like you will lose direction effects, like a helicopter moving around above your head. Do the same Pepsi challenge with an Atmos demo like Dolby leaf and see what the difference is like.
Soz for late reply didn't see this on alerts. Yeah, so, my belief (and the sound seems to also say) that the Neural X "creates" the surround from the information that it gets... i.e. it's perfect for creating additional ceiling sounds from a standard non atmos/DTSX soundtrack... however as far as I'm aware this isn't a duplicated sound. So, I did the leaf test and it moves around as expected but on DTS Neu it seems to be emphercised more than with just standard atmos.

However!!! That's not to say that it's not as accurate and I agree it might not be as you're "messing" and creating signals BUT for some reason it just sounds better especially on some weaker Atmos soundtracks... you just get more going on. BUT from what I can hear, I'm not getting the same sound out of each ceiling speaker? Its a tough one this as I don't like messing with the original signals, but some Atmos soundtracks are just weak (BUT some are great!). The soundtrack on DTS:X Godzilla vs Kong... that's demo worthy as is the picture. Jumanji, once again outstanding with positional sounds are just stunning... but then you put some on and it's really weak and DTS:Neu seems to just up the anti a little!

Will do more investigation this week!!! Cheers for pointing out though as it's worth getting peoples views etc as I could be short changing myself!

Associate
Soz for late reply didn't see this on alerts. Yeah, so, my belief (and the sound seems to also say) that the Neural X "creates" the surround from the information that it gets... i.e. it's perfect for creating additional ceiling sounds from a standard non atmos/DTSX soundtrack... however as far as I'm aware this isn't a duplicated sound. So, I did the leaf test and it moves around as expected but on DTS Neu it seems to be emphercised more than with just standard atmos.

However!!! That's not to say that it's not as accurate and I agree it might not be as you're "messing" and creating signals BUT for some reason it just sounds better especially on some weaker Atmos soundtracks... you just get more going on. BUT from what I can hear, I'm not getting the same sound out of each ceiling speaker? Its a tough one this as I don't like messing with the original signals, but some Atmos soundtracks are just weak (BUT some are great!). The soundtrack on DTS:X Godzilla vs Kong... that's demo worthy as is the picture. Jumanji, once again outstanding with positional sounds are just stunning... but then you put some on and it's really weak and DTS:Neu seems to just up the anti a little!

Will do more investigation this week!!! Cheers for pointing out though as it's worth getting peoples views etc as I could be short changing myself!

Yes, looks like you're right - one of those things, I should have read a bit more before posting although there is not much info out there about it. I have the Yamaha RX-A3050 which is getting on a bit now, so I can't test it myself as it doesn't have the Neural X processing.

Try the Dolby Atmos demos such as the leaf one and see what you think - obviously go with what you think sounds best.

Great setup by the way :)

Soldato
OP
Yes, looks like you're right - one of those things, I should have read a bit more before posting although there is not much info out there about it. I have the Yamaha RX-A3050 which is getting on a bit now, so I can't test it myself as it doesn't have the Neural X processing.

Try the Dolby Atmos demos such as the leaf one and see what you think - obviously go with what you think sounds best.

Great setup by the way :)
Cheers man. Yeah, I've spent a couple of hours this week just messing around... tried a few atmos demos... adn the demo's sound great in Atmos... as they seem to emphercise the tops more than some films do... but I have to admit, watched a couple where there is serious movement to see how the DTS Neuo works and it does shift the sound around really well... like I said before it's a really tough one this as I prefer to keep with the original sound and keep processing down to a minimum. But just on some tracks the Atmos track is light... and with Neural X turned on the amp seems to be doing a better job of throwing the sound around so it's more pronounced! It's a bit like standard DTS soundtracks always sounding better to normal TRUEHD to me... gonna have to rea dup more on this... but right now, Atmos can be disappointing on some of the sound tracks compared to upscaling it... using DTS Neural

Back
Top Bottom