Punching bags & boxing gloves

Soldato
if you dont use gloves the your knuckles will increase in bone mass and the nerves will be numb after a few years

why would you want to harden your knuckles?

to cause more damage in an actual fight, and at the same time feel nothing

if you're punching a reasonably heavy bag properly you WILL break bones in your hand.

properly? what do you fill your bags with, rocks?

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah then when your about 40 you'll keep dropping stuff cause you'll have no feeling in your hands and there'll be full of arthritis.

More weight of glove, the bigger and more padding it has. Normally use bigger gloves for sparring.
You can get diffrant gloves for pad work, sparring and bag gloves as well.

I really would forget about the hevey bag until some has shown you how to hit it properly. And watching youtube video on how to hit the bag wont work ether as you cant see if your doing it correctly when your hitting it.

Associate
if you're punching a reasonably heavy bag properly you WILL break bones in your hand. The amount of stupid kids/chavvy teens we see in the gym doing this past few years is unbelievable.

Yeah 2nd that. Unless you punch like a granny then u'll Hurt your hand and wrists.
Our gym wont even let people hit the speed ball without handwraps on lol.
I like watching new starters hit the bag, for some reason 80% of um try to emulate hatton. Which is bad style for a beginner try and do lol.

Soldato
Just buy a big heavy bag, what i did, 6ft everlast bag i have, it's top, allows you to practice kicking too.
Decent pair of leather gloves too.

Make sure you have a decent wall to fix the bracket to though, i eventually had to screw the hanging bracket onto the wall and stick a couple of kind of u shaped brackets round that. Breezeblocks suck.

Associate
if you dont use gloves the your knuckles will increase in bone mass and the nerves will be numb after a few years

to cause more damage in an actual fight, and at the same time feel nothing

properly? what do you fill your bags with, rocks?

If you are punching corrctly you will break your hands. Its not rocket science the bones in your hand aren't going to take the sort of punishment you give a punchbag. If you're starting off fine, but i'll assure you that if you punch with any sort of technique and power you will get hurt. Why do you think people are told to wear gloves? it's not for fun!!!

Associate
I'm hoping to start learning how to box soon (intend to join the boxing gym after payday).. but am a bit worried as I broke my right knuckle (little finger side) about 4 years ago after smashing a brick wall :(
Obviously the wraps and gloves are designed to protect your hands when hitting things, but is it likely that the previous break will cause problems ?

That hand in general seems a little weaker than the left (even though I'm right handed), probably not helped by the fact I broke and dislocated the wrist when I was about 12 (almost 29 now, gah, getting old).

Soldato
If you are punching corrctly you will break your hands. Its not rocket science the bones in your hand aren't going to take the sort of punishment you give a punchbag. If you're starting off fine, but i'll assure you that if you punch with any sort of technique and power you will get hurt. Why do you think people are told to wear gloves? it's not for fun!!!

power? yes

technique? no

Soldato
if you're punching a reasonably heavy bag properly you WILL break bones in your hand. The amount of stupid kids/chavvy teens we see in the gym doing this past few years is unbelievable.

Why do you think boxers (and most contact MA) have strappings under their gloves? Get yourself a nice pair of heavy gloves and work on your technique, i'll assure you this is beneficial not having to worry about broken bones in your hand and having the confidence to punch through rather than 'at' things is much better than having some scratched skin on your knuckles.

If you are punching a bag, the best advice is to wrap your hands and wear some bag gloves / mitts. I've seen a few broken fingers and wrists from people hitting the bag barehanded.

Associate
power? yes

technique? no

i've seen broken metacarpals from brief sparring sessions in the gym that will say otherwise. If you're only moderatly powerful but punching THROUGH the bag you will get hurt.

Off the point anyway.

Make sure you get some nice heavy gloves not the cheapest tat you can get from sports world. Wraps may be overkill, but some padding underneath never goes amiss.

Back
Top Bottom