Puncture resistant canal path tyre recommendations?

Soldato
Hi folks,

I’ve been recently seconded to a government organisation from the fire and rescue service for 12-24 months which means I have the potential of commuting along a canal path from home to my new place of work. Did a dry run last weekend and it’s a 34 mile round trip and I really enjoyed it. My usual commute is on the roads on a road bike so it was refresh to not have to deal with the usual nuggets on the road in cars. :cool:

I am using my 2010 Cube Acid hardtail for the commute and it’s all good but it has Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres fitted which to me at least are overkill for canal toe paths and feel a bit too much like hard going. I’d like to swap them out for a decent 26” tyre which will cope with canal paths and a wee bit of tarmac better than the Smart Sams, have less rolling resistance and also be as puncture resistant as possible.

Looking for suggestions folks!

Thank you.

Associate
Hi folks,

I’ve been recently seconded to a government organisation from the fire and rescue service for 12-24 months which means I have the potential of commuting along a canal path from home to my new place of work. Did a dry run last weekend and it’s a 34 mile round trip and I really enjoyed it. My usual commute is on the roads on a road bike so it was refresh to not have to deal with the usual nuggets on the road in cars. :cool:

I am using my 2010 Cube Acid hardtail for the commute and it’s all good but it has Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres fitted which to me at least are overkill for canal toe paths and feel a bit too much like hard going. I’d like to swap them out for a decent 26” tyre which will cope with canal paths and a wee bit of tarmac better than the Smart Sams, have less rolling resistance and also be as puncture resistant as possible.

Looking for suggestions folks!

Thank you.
this may be useful for you:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/?_sm_byp=iVVMP0j0FQN6J7Mr

also look under touring bike tyres section too, they are generally quite tough.

do consider schwalbe marathlon greenguard. not the fastest but sure is miles muncher and cost quite abit less than other options.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, I’ll look at those.

My Smart Sams say 26 x 2.11 on the side wall, been looking online at canal path type tyres and lots are sized at 26 x 1.75.

Would that 1.75 size be okay to fit or do I need specific 26 x 2.11 tyres if I swapped them over?

Cheers.

Soldato
OP
Hi m8,

I’m already running with Slime inner tubes. Got a puncture last week with standard inner tubes fitted so swapped over to Slime ones for a bit more resistance. Really just looking for a decent tyre with less nobbly bits on it so it rolls a bit easier.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Plan is to fit easier rolling tyres such as Marathon Plus to my current wheels for my commute which is essentially 33 miles canal path and about 1 mile on the road split between either end. Then I plan on grabbing a spare set of wheels for the knobbly tyres so I can hot swap when I want to hit the trails.

Soldato
OP
Bargaintastic! Found a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26 x 1.75's for sale locally on FB Marketplace. Guy had fitted them to spare wheels and used them twice. Essentially brand new. £20 collected. Got them fitted now and in conjunction with the Slime inner tubes I think they should be quite durable. A mate who runs a cycling repair place said that most folk either stick to the same size tyre or go up a size but I've gone down from a 26 x 2.11 to a 26 x 1.75. I'll see how they work out, the Marathon + seems to get good reviews, they are quite heavy but I'm not planning on breaking any speed records tbh, they will undoubtedly roll better than the knobbly Smart Sams I had on.

Associate
he's already running Slime sealant. I run Slime on my commuter bike too. so far so good. although i heard some horror stories. compared to other sealant i used on MTB, it is abit....less confidence inspriing, but i havent had a bad one yet, so will keep them running for now.

Associate
Schwalbe Marathon pluses the dogs nuts set them up right they roll ok don't go too high on pressures! and forget the slime tubes as not needed just slows you down more.

Continetal do a wider touring 26" semi smooth in middle with mild knobblies on edges

Schwalbe do big apples that run anti puncture layers nice and wide roll great ive got the 2.0 kevlar folders rocking horse poo to get ride great.

Got a shed load of 26" tyres to sell some not used others part folder and non and a set of Mavic rims on Shimano XT Parralex hubs 9 speed

Back
Top Bottom