Purchased a small French lightweight hot hatch - Renault Clio 172 Cup & NOW 182 Trophy

OcUK Staff
OP
Yeah I 100% think I need camber bolts, just checking really, shall grab a set, then just need to know whats a good fast road alignment to put on it, guessing rear is spot on, so just a case of trying to add more front caster and negative camber. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

As there is a few Peugeot fans here, can't really find a Peugeot thread as sorts, as I originally mentioned I would also love to find a real nice 106 GTI, unmolested example in great condition, a few have popped up.

Question is too experts, particular for future values do you think there will be much difference in value between a PH1 and PH2 GTI, from what I can tell the PH1 had none body coloured bumpers and cloth interior. Whereas PH2 had body coloured bumpers and the half leather interior, were there any other more serious changes?

Out of colours what do people think will be the most sought after:
Sundance yellow
Blaze yellow (really nice gold colour)
Diablo red

Those seem to me the three colours that seem to get snapped up, also I think none sunroof model is probably always worth more but maybe not critical to the cars value.

Seen a diablo red, under 40k miles at a fair price, tempted to grab it and just garage it then as free time allows restore that one too and have two totally mint little French classic hatch backs. :D

OcUK Staff
OP
I keep looking at 306 Rallye's after this thread! My first car was a 95 1.6 XS and Peugeot's have always had a place in my heart. They are still incredibly cheap for what they are. With throttle bodies the engines make 200bhp.

Good cars, I just in this kind of car, smaller and lighter the better.

Also remember the Clio 2.0l is good for around 190HP with throttle bodies, exhaust etc. Will be interest what mine makes once 182 mani and PMS exhaust is on the car with EFI remap, will be chuffed with anything 180 plus, might be a stretch but shall see.

Man of Honour
106 GTI looks great in black too, with the half leather/half alcantara

Friend of mine bought this one from new:

image.jpg

P2jpg.jpg

Soldato
My 106Gti was Diablo red. Looked awesome when clean!

They're a bit too slow for me though. Never forget being beaten in a straight line by a Clio. It's what made me go out and buy one ha

Soldato
Rallye would be a better watch out than GTI I'm my opinion but if a GTI is a must, facelift would be my preference.

Not considered 306 GTi6 (nice Astor Grey one on eBay now) or Saxo VTS?

Caporegime
Good cars, I just in this kind of car, smaller and lighter the better.

Also remember the Clio 2.0l is good for around 190HP with throttle bodies, exhaust etc. Will be interest what mine makes once 182 mani and PMS exhaust is on the car with EFI remap, will be chuffed with anything 180 plus, might be a stretch but shall see.

The Rallye is 1163 which is very light for its size. Also the 6 speed is a peach and accelerates on par with a Renault Sport with arguably a stronger engine. The XU engine is an almost legendary engine powering Group B (205 T16), WRC (206 WRC) and F2 kit cars in the 306 Maxi. They make in the region of 230 BHP with just cams throttle bodies and basic bolt ons.

OcUK Staff
OP
The Rallye is 1163 which is very light for its size. Also the 6 speed is a peach and accelerates on par with a Renault Sport with arguably a stronger engine. The XU engine is an almost legendary engine powering Group B (205 T16), WRC (206 WRC) and F2 kit cars in the 306 Maxi. They make in the region of 230 BHP with just cams throttle bodies and basic bolt ons.

Yeah still a great car, just my goals were more size and weight, smaller and lighter the better, hence the 172 and it is just nice that the 172 happens to have close to 170HP out the box too.

Also checked the tyre pressures, 33psi front, 31psi rear, so dropped the fronts to 30psi and it has made quite a remarkable improvement to the understeer, car/tyres are certainly sensitive to pressure changes. :)

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Had some fun at Curborough sprint circuit yesterday at the OcUK track day meet:

curb1.jpg

curb2.jpg

curb3.jpg

The car was huge fun, been pretty much an original cup but all fresh it handled and gripped fantastic and was extremely progressive, easy to drive at 10/10 tenths and not get into trouble.
Yes due to only running -0.5 negative camber on the front the car was pushing a little and the outer edge of the tyres got a good scrubbing, I've now got a pair of camber bolts for the car as the outer edge of tyres were also scrubbing a little on road too, so it absolutely needs a little more front negative camber, so am gonna set it to around -1.00 per side and see how it goes.

Car engine maintained temperature perfectly, no overheating at all which for such a short spring circuit is very impressive as my E46 M3 gets pretty hot here.
The brakes were also flawless, no fading, hugely powerful and only thing of note was smoking pads, not an issue with a couple of cool down laps.

The car is a little soft, as are the tyres particular on a red hot sunny day like yesterday, but as this is not a track car, on the road they perform excellent as they grip from the word go and are excellent in the wet.

Overall the car was huge fun, no issues and did I say a lot of fun. :)

P.S. Last bit of the puzzle has arrived, 182 manifold, PMS manifold back exhaust system with 200 cel cat and silencer. Once fitted off to EFI for a map, hopefully all this will improve the mid range 2500-4500 region.

OcUK Staff
OP
is the m3 going i feel its getting pushed out now :)

Nope, I am in the M3 today. :)

The Clio is fun, but then I get in the M3 and oh my it feels so tight, zero slop and the RWD fun.
M3 is going nowhere, taking it for MOT later and just about to buy another set of wheels for it along with some super sticky AR1 track tyres.

I have now what I consider pretty much a perfect 100k garage:
SVR - Epic AWD fun car, huge power, silly fast. With a cracking and popping loud V8.
M3 - Proper focused track car which drives lovely on road and is RWD, plus in my view BMW's best M car ever! Glorious straight 6 with carbon air box.
Clio - Maybe the best FWD handling and most fun hatch ever made? With a lovely fizzy and buzzy 2.0 4 pot engine.

Not a bad 100k garage! :D

Permabanned
Nope, I am in the M3 today. :)

The Clio is fun, but then I get in the M3 and oh my it feels so tight, zero slop and the RWD fun.
M3 is going nowhere, taking it for MOT later and just about to buy another set of wheels for it along with some super sticky AR1 track tyres.

I have now what I consider pretty much a perfect 100k garage:
SVR - Epic AWD fun car, huge power, silly fast. With a cracking and popping loud V8.
M3 - Proper focused track car which drives lovely on road and is RWD, plus in my view BMW's best M car ever! Glorious straight 6 with carbon air box.
Clio - Maybe the best FWD handling and most fun hatch ever made? With a lovely fizzy and buzzy 2.0 4 pot engine.

Not a bad 100k garage! :D

well cant argue you with that you seem to be enjoying yourself :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Pure Motorsport lightweight stainless exhaust system arrived:

PMSexhaust.jpg

It is a modular system, this one is designed to fit 182 manifold, I also have a 182 manifold, this one has 200 cel performance catalyst and centre silencer with the standard stealth (downturned) back box, noise wise its probably marginally louder than stock system, of course been modular swapping in a de-cat pipe or even removing the centre silencer is easily accomplished should one ever wish for more noise.

As my car has a Klarious ECP cheap exhaust on it, I wanted to get a nice quality system on it and the PMS system really is indeed very nice, good welds and a lovely polished finish which will really finish off the underside.

Shall also remove the spring from the brake bias, that should hopefully stop the rears locking causing instability when braking hard from high speeds.

Next step is off to see Chris at EFI for a remap, question is should I pop an ITG or other performance panel filter in the stock air box or do they not make any additional power?

Soldato
Have a chat with Chris and see what he advises. He was really great with information regarding hardware when I was enquiring. I'm off to see his early next year :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Have a chat with Chris and see what he advises. He was really great with information regarding hardware when I was enquiring. I'm off to see his early next year :)

I did and he adviced 182 manifold and full exhaust, he said PMS is best, so that is what I got, he said to expect 10HP from it, he said the remap tends to make 5-7HP, maybe 7-8HP with a panel filter, of course peak numbers, the gains in mid-range are far greater.

My guess is car is 165-169HP stock, so hoping it makes around 180HP, of course he will dyno it before mapping but of course it will have the 182 manifold, exhaust on etc which I am sure may improve its stock figures due to better breathing etc.

Soldato
So he said panel filter is better over an open cone? I'd just go with that if he's advising it. He certainly seems to know his stuff and is well regarded in the Renault tuning circles :)

OcUK Staff
OP
So he said panel filter is better over an open cone? I'd just go with that if he's advising it. He certainly seems to know his stuff and is well regarded in the Renault tuning circles :)

He did say a good induction kit can work, but did not really say which ones, I shall ask him, he said panel filters normally give 1-2HP over a new renault paper filter, so they give a little, but not much. I guess the question is does a stock paper filter maintain peak performance longer than say a foam or cotton performance filter?

Soldato
There's a 205 Rallye for sale at £7k, or as near as damn it, I've just seen on Facebook. SV Performance Imports are selling it.

Claims it's one of, if not the best, example out there. There's some money in old French hatchbacks!

Back
Top Bottom