Purchased a small French lightweight hot hatch - Renault Clio 172 Cup & NOW 182 Trophy

OcUK Staff
OP
There's a 205 Rallye for sale at £7k, or as near as damn it, I've just seen on Facebook. SV Performance Imports are selling it.

Claims it's one of, if not the best, example out there. There's some money in old French hatchbacks!

Seen it, I expect it will be worth more in some years, but for me it does nothing for me.
If I buy another French hatch it will either be a perfect 106 GTi example or a Clio 182 Trophy, there was a 182 Trophy on ebay with no reserve with low miles, they had a buy it now at £8950 for weeks, never sold, so moved it to a BID auction with no reserve I said to myself if it stays under 6k I shall buy it as its a 7-8k car all day. It sold at £7500 so at the upper scale of the market.

Probably not really any better than my cup to drive, but the trophy looks nice in red and only 500 units, plus those sach dampers are rather special.

Though I was watching quite a nice R5GT that was clean, though not completely original, but it went what seemed cheap at £5100, still a very old car, but old school turbo hot hatch.

Soldato
He did say a good induction kit can work, but did not really say which ones, I shall ask him, he said panel filters normally give 1-2HP over a new renault paper filter, so they give a little, but not much. I guess the question is does a stock paper filter maintain peak performance longer than say a foam or cotton performance filter?

I suppose the good thing about a cone filter is you will be able to keep the airbox to go back on in the future for purposes of keeping it original.

If you get a good quality foam cone filter (ITG, Ramair etc) they can be washed when required.

Soldato
The panel filter will be more than enough for the engine, it just doesn't pull enough air to warrant a full induction.
Especially when some of the panel filters are as good as they are.

Soldato
Pure Motorsport lightweight stainless exhaust system arrived:

PMSexhaust.jpg

It is a modular system, this one is designed to fit 182 manifold, I also have a 182 manifold, this one has 200 cel performance catalyst and centre silencer with the standard stealth (downturned) back box, noise wise its probably marginally louder than stock system, of course been modular swapping in a de-cat pipe or even removing the centre silencer is easily accomplished should one ever wish for more noise.

As my car has a Klarious ECP cheap exhaust on it, I wanted to get a nice quality system on it and the PMS system really is indeed very nice, good welds and a lovely polished finish which will really finish off the underside.

Shall also remove the spring from the brake bias, that should hopefully stop the rears locking causing instability when braking hard from high speeds.

Next step is off to see Chris at EFI for a remap, question is should I pop an ITG or other performance panel filter in the stock air box or do they not make any additional power?

On the standard 172/182's getting an air feed to an induction system is very difficult, you basically have to run the CAF to the wheel arch where the stock air feed is, so you make very little gains if any. I was told not to bother.

On the Cups there is plenty of room to run a CAF to the front grill which has seen beneficial results, but you're only talking 5bhp.

My 172 had a 182 manifold, decat, 2.5" KTEC exhaust and an RS Tuner map on it. It made 177bhp. Best mod on it was definitely the decat, car revved so much better. The RS Tuner bringing the power in earlier also made a nice difference.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

So the exhaust has been fitted today, the garage did not enjoy the job, took around five hours alone to fit the exhaust due to the subframe having to come down in order to be able to get the 182 manifold fitted, all new gaskets fitted throughout entire exhaust system along with brand new 02 sensors as well, again I don't mess about, everything brand new! Picture of the exhaust installed:

exhaust.jpg

Looks good, also both front CV boots were showing some wear, very marginal hole in both, so replaced both CV boots for good measure.
Camber bolts also installed and now have an extra degree of negative camber each side, so now -1.50 per side negative, can get upto around -2.00ish if so desired but feel -1.50 will be enough.

Upon first startup and driving the exhaust was kind of boomy at which point I thought mmmmm not so sure about this and damn I am glad I got the catted and silenced version.
But after 30-40 minutes driving the boom and drone seems to have reduced a lot, I am guessing it is furring up inside or whatever you wish to call it.
It sounds OK, as good as a 4 pot can sound I suppose, the induction side of this car is where there is more potential for good sound. I would say at high RPM its got a nice burble and the blips on downshifts sound good.

Car certainly feels like its got more go everywhere and the top-end seems to rev faster.
Handling is improved for sure, car has a lot more front end grip for sure, so clearly needed that additional negative camber.

I got the ITG panel filter but am deeply unimpressed by it, up removing it from the plastic seal there was a huge amout of oil peeling away and excess oil generally on the filter.
Plus then upon putting it in the air box it seems like say 1mm too small in width and is not sitting nicely, in the end I put stock fiilter back in, not happy at all.

Shall probably take it back to ECP tomorrow and see if they will give me a refund. Surprised as ITG is normally good, but over oiled and does not fit well, not happy.

Remap this weekend!

Soldato
I know others will tell you not to bother, but I quite enjoy the noise of the KTR (K-Tec) induction kit on my 182. You can always replace the original airbox later for sale if the new owner wants originality.

OcUK Staff
OP
I know others will tell you not to bother, but I quite enjoy the noise of the KTR (K-Tec) induction kit on my 182. You can always replace the original airbox later for sale if the new owner wants originality.

Yeah everyone has said this, like stock air box and really don't like open cone filters, suck in too much hot air.
If I come across one second hand I would not mind the carbon fibre ITG Maxogen cold air intake as its a sealed carbon air box using original cold air ducting, bit expensive at £450 but they pop up second hand for £150 ish from time to time, but shall see what it makes.

Shall take the panel filter with me to ITG on Saturday, see what Chris makes of it.

OcUK Staff
OP
The extra camber is a beautiful thing, my god it was such a yobbo before, but then you can literally just throw it and I can now really feel it cocking a rear wheel in the air, front-end grip is massively improved and the R1R tyres really do feel like poo poo to a blanket especially in the cooler ambient temperatures of this morning.

Also rear spring removed from brake bias, which should not be there, car is now mega stable under braking, such incredible brakes on this car!

Associate
Yeah everyone has said this, like stock air box and really don't like open cone filters, suck in too much hot air.
If I come across one second hand I would not mind the carbon fibre ITG Maxogen cold air intake as its a sealed carbon air box using original cold air ducting, bit expensive at £450 but they pop up second hand for £150 ish from time to time, but shall see what it makes.

Shall take the panel filter with me to ITG on Saturday, see what Chris makes of it.

The V6 airbox or the phase 1 172 box are considered the best setup for these if you don't want an open filter. The V6 box has one large intake hole, whereas the ph1 has two smaller holes. They don't come up for sale often, and demand quite a high price nowadays.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

So this morning I made the trip to EFI Parts for my custom mapping session on the dyno at a cost of £179. Car setup and ready to get some baseline figures:

dyn1.jpg

dyn2.jpg

Chris was very professional, really knows his stuff and told me Cup 172's typically when stock will make 166-171BHP if they are healthy and as I have the 182 manifold and PMS exhaust system fitted it should be worth 5-6HP additional if the cars factory ECU has not leaned or gone too rich due to manifold change.
The first run car made 175HP, then 176HP and a final run at 177HP. This pretty much means if the car was stock, still 172 manifold and exhaust setup it would have probably made around 169-171HP, but the moment I fitted the 182 manifold and PMS exhaust system, the 5-7k rpm pull felt stronger, so when Chris said to expect 5-6HP from a 182 manifold / cat setup he was pretty much bang on.

Chris said, very healthy car indeed and once mapped to not expect much at the top-end as the fuelling is pretty good as it is, so expect maybe 180HP.

So Chris spent close to an hour fine tuning the car, getting the fuelling where he wanted and improving the drive ability of the car and reducing the cat warming setup so it no longer drives poorly when cold, something Renault do on purpose to fast warm the cat up, the downside is it makes the car feel very flat for first 30-60s of driving around 2000rpm.

Fine tuning complete and the car made 180HP and 161lb/ft, a result I am very happy with as the cars only modifications are 182 manifold and full PMS sport cat exhaust system. Chris said a panel filter put it in the 182HP region or a full CAI maybe 185HP but then the issues of heat soak and less power in real world hence the favourite option generally been PH1 air box or V6 air box, or the ITG Maxogen setup.

Dyno graph:

dyn3.jpg

You can see he has achieved more power and torque everywhere, now on the graph your maybe thinking that don't look like much and your never gonna feel 3-5HP gain, but do remember this is a 1000kg car.
I handed over the monies and drove home and within the first two minutes of driving the improvements can be felt, the car is smoother, it pulls away more cleanly, the 2000-4500rpm range feels transformed, it feels like its gained a solid 20-30HP here, of course it has not but the fact it feels like it has really shows you the improvement in drive ability. Coming out of corners now if your under 5000rpm are no longer an issue, before the car could feel flat due to how the stock map really leans out to give that kick. Whereas now the car feels much stronger, the kick is still present and the pull to 5000-7500rpm is just very clean.

A vast improvement, well worth the money and very happy. Might be taking a venture to Blyton Park in it end of this month as a few mates are going and they said in the Clio it will be great fun as its a track that suits smaller and lighter cars.

What is next, really nothing, that is really now as far as this car goes, anything further would detract too much from the car Renault designed, its an incredible and fun road car, pretty handy on a circuit too and very easy to drive. Now just to enjoy. :)

Caporegime
Blyton is perfect for small cars like these. I barely get out of third gear. It is a great leveler as my mates MX5 is no where to be seen on circuits like Donny and Snetterton but we can have a bit of fun on Blyton without the fear of running into barriers like Caldwell for example which is also great for cars like these.

OcUK Staff
OP
Blyton is perfect for small cars like these. I barely get out of third gear. It is a great leveler as my mates MX5 is no where to be seen on circuits like Donny and Snetterton but we can have a bit of fun on Blyton without the fear of running into barriers like Caldwell for example which is also great for cars like these.

Shall get myself booked on it then and get my Blyton cherry popped. :)

Soldato
Yep, Blyton suits small lightweight cars really well. Lotus Exiges are incredible around there! I did it in the M135i and it was just blasting between the corners really...good enough fun, but too tight and twisty for that car.

Soldato
Good update, Chris really is the man when it comes to mapping these cars. Blyton is a great track for little hot hatches but it can be a killer on the brakes; now the weather is dropping off it may not be such an issue though.

I may come over and spectate/say hello if you do book on.

OcUK Staff
OP
Full paint restoration completed by Autobrite:

ab6.jpg~original

ab7.jpg~original

ab4.jpg~original

ab5.jpg~original

ab1.jpg~original

ab2.jpg~original

ab3.jpg~original

Top job as always, car looks better than it did the day it arrived in Renaults show room, that is this cars restoration complete, first time I think a car was ever truly completely by me, now time to continue with the M3. :D

I probably have the most mechanically sound and cleanest 172 Cup in the UK, maybe in existence considering mechanically every is now fully refreshed when it comes to suspension, brakes etc.

OcUK Staff
OP
Amazing transformation mate, very nice.
What did the paint correction involve and how much if you dont mind me asking. What kind of defects did it fix etc. My 350z would benefit I feel

There was a lot of light scratches which are now 99% removed, there were some deep scratches which are improved and far less noticeable but still able to see if pointed out.
Swirling removed.
Interior de-fogged, to remove any odour from previous owner, paint sealed, wheels sealed, interior cleaned etc.
2 days work.

£300

Back
Top Bottom