Purchased a small French lightweight hot hatch - Renault Clio 172 Cup & NOW 182 Trophy

OcUK Staff
OP
That’s him :D wrong geeza as I was watching his Trophy review last week.

172 Cup, 182 Trophy easily the most fun cars on road I'd go as far as saying, right up there with MX5's for fun factor. Performance is not everything, slow and flat out can be huge fun, though they don't feel slow at all behind the wheel, quite opposite.

OcUK Staff
OP
Just had the car MOT, failed due to emissions, the problem I mentioned earlier, as expected it was the pre-cat 02 sensor, all fixed and passed, also had a new pair of CV boots as they were looking a bit tired.

Now its just the case of keep this or sell it and get an Abarth, quite a tough decision really as its such a good car and so so capable and so much fun, only real downsides is you know your driving an old French car, no AC, odd rattle, basic stereo, its a proper drivers car and raw, which I love, but can also be annoying. :)

Caporegime
Just had the car MOT, failed due to emissions, the problem I mentioned earlier, as expected it was the pre-cat 02 sensor, all fixed and passed, also had a new pair of CV boots as they were looking a bit tired.

Now its just the case of keep this or sell it and get an Abarth, quite a tough decision really as its such a good car and so so capable and so much fun, only real downsides is you know your driving an old French car, no AC, odd rattle, basic stereo, its a proper drivers car and raw, which I love, but can also be annoying. :)

Keep the Clio, everyone knows 500 drivers are gayers.

Soldato

Surely you could keep the clip as an appreciating asset and buy the Abarth too?

Soldato
Shame it's not the full fat.

I had a Clio 172, the AC worked really well.

I loved that car.... I would buy another, but they seem to be the exact same price as I paid for mine 5 years ago... Which is mental.

OcUK Staff
OP
Shame it's not the full fat.

I had a Clio 172, the AC worked really well.

I loved that car.... I would buy another, but they seem to be the exact same price as I paid for mine 5 years ago... Which is mental.

This is a Cup, much more limited, no AC, no ABS, the rawest of them all and the lightest I believe at around 990kg.

As a second car to the Ferrari, yes a more regular 182 loaded with options would probably be better, but I got this as a project and its a fun car, probably the rawest modern hot hatch there is, only way to go rawer is to go real old school like 205GTi, R5GTT etc.

Caporegime
Don’t want three cars any more and I’m planning on moving and we only want to have two cars ideally. Hence M3 going too just don’t want to use Ferrari as a daily.
Thought the Ferrari as a daily was the whole point?

Or is it more a case of reality being different from the theory as such? - I can well imagine a 458 as a sole daily can be a bit of a hassle...

OcUK Staff
OP
Thought the Ferrari as a daily was the whole point?

Or is it more a case of reality being different from the theory as such? - I can well imagine a 458 as a sole daily can be a bit of a hassle...

A daily in Summer months, but during Winter months I absolutely don't want to be using it on salty roads and it would be nice to have something with AC and can handle snow within reason as if we move where were planning its a bit out in sticks. Weather like today then yes the Ferrari gets plenty of use.

Soldato
I think it comes down to priorities change, has the 182 appreciated to a level you're happy to let it go to a loving home? Will you be kicking yourself in a couple of years if it goes up another £x? If so, keep it. If not, time to let go and move to something a little more dailyable.

OcUK Staff
OP
I think you should turbo the Clio :)

And ruin it!
Such a project be far better done on a more common 182, not a rarer special edition, would instantly de-value it.

I think it comes down to priorities change, has the 182 appreciated to a level you're happy to let it go to a loving home? Will you be kicking yourself in a couple of years if it goes up another £x? If so, keep it. If not, time to let go and move to something a little more dailyable.

Yes even if it sold for 4-5k now be fine, even if next year if would fetch 7k, it is 2k and in the grand scheme of things is not much, life will be easier with just a pair of modern cars, one is extremely special and the other can just be a modern warm/hot hatch.

Soldato
And ruin it!
Such a project be far better done on a more common 182, not a rarer special edition, would instantly de-value it.

Yes even if it sold for 4-5k now be fine, even if next year if would fetch 7k, it is 2k and in the grand scheme of things is not much, life will be easier with just a pair of modern cars, one is extremely special and the other can just be a modern warm/hot hatch.
Which is what the Abarth would excel at, comfortable, still fun to drive and yet practical (somewhat... have you worked out how you're going to go food shopping? Or fit a car seat? :D)

OcUK Staff
OP
Which is what the Abarth would excel at, comfortable, still fun to drive and yet practical (somewhat... have you worked out how you're going to go food shopping? Or fit a car seat? :D)

Yes an Abarth is favourite, will probably go all out and get a 66 or newer 180 Comp, spec needs to be xenons, performance pack and ideally beats with 7" in either Rosso red or Modena yellow. They seem to hold value reasonably well, be looking at a used 1-3yr old example, so 13-15k expenditure and probably lose a grand or so each year in depreciation but low running cost. Spotted a Rosso red for sale, facelift 16 plate, 40k miles £11,400 and open to offers and has performance pack, which seems quite a bargain but my guess is mileage heavily impacts the value of them.

Only other car considered is something like a 2.0TFSi Scirroco, maybe even R in the Viper green with DSG, because they excel at comfort, but on the flip side they are quite dull to drive but that is also what makes them good.

Think it needs to be be more fun, quirky/cool, 20-30mpg when driving around city and b roads with around 35mpg on a run and pretty cheap running cost which an Abarth does seem to excel at.

I could keep the 172 Cup as it pretty much returns 30mpg plus no matter how you drive it and can do 40mpg on a run (36mpg overall average), its quicker than an Abarth and handles a lot better, but its also a bare French hatch which literally just has 3 pedals and wheel, but as a drivers car I really can't think of any better hot hatch it is superb, but I will admit driving the Abarth put just as much a smile on my face and it felt more special, no doubt the Ferrari connection and the fact its got decent infotainment and toys in comparison to a baron French lightweight hot hatch special. The Abarth though technical not the best hatch, beaten by many and odd seating position seems to win hands down at generating smiles per mile, which is maybe to me what is more important in a car these days than outright performance. Why I went 458 over say a 488 or a Hurracan or 570S all of which are faster but in comparison felt somewhat numb at legal speeds.

Soldato
Driving a slower car fast will always be more appealing than a fast car slow.

It's a bit of a shame that you're selling the m3/possibly Clio, but why have something which won't get much use.

Get the abarth and enjoy it. Plus it'll be a good match for the fezza.

Caporegime
Driving a slower car fast will always be more appealing than a fast car slow.

It's a bit of a shame that you're selling the m3/possibly Clio, but why have something which won't get much use.

Get the abarth and enjoy it. Plus it'll be a good match for the fezza.

Cars like the Abarth are perfect daily cars in this day and age. I commute in a little 900KG 120BHP warm hatch and it is an absolute riot.

Back
Top Bottom