Purchased an iPad 3 on the 15th of last month. Would they swap?

Associate
Called the Aberdeen store as my other half bought an iPad 3 on the 29th of September, they said they would be extending the return period to 30 days so she can just swing by and swap when they are released.

She wasn't overly bothered about the upgrade but is certainly happy she can swap it.

Soldato
I bought my new iPad on Sept 20th from John Lewis, do i need to contact John Lewis or Apple about getting it swapped?

Associate
OP
I bought my new iPad on Sept 20th from John Lewis, do i need to contact John Lewis or Apple about getting it swapped?
Most likely John Lewis. Apple's phone/online support will have to stick to the text book seeing as they don't have the power the manager of a store has.

Good luck!

Soldato
You bought a product, they released a new one, why should they swap it? :|

Live with it, or sell it and buy the new one. If you chose to buy Apple you will get screwed over at some point by their 'refuse to tell anyone what is being relased marketing'

Associate
OP
Just took mine in, was 40 days from purchase and they were great an still said they would swap it :), decided to get the money on a store card and I'm going to be getting a cheap mac book air, the iPad was less productive for work than I thought it would be

Associate
got mine from currys hope they will swap it, if not ill snap it in half and see if those knowhow guys can fix it, when they cant ill get my replacement :)

Soldato
Opinion seems very polarised on this issue, with some aggrieved at the launch of a new model so soon whilst others are of the opinion that what you bought is still as good as it was before the new model was announced and you have no right to be upset about it.

Personally, I think the issue this time is with the secrecy surrounding the iPad4 and the fact that there was very little info or even rumour about its release until very recently. Whilst all technology is constantly upgraded/replaced, at least with most technology, such as processors, graphics cards and so on, we know what's coming well in advance and are thus able to make an informed decision on whether to buy or wait. Even with the iPad3, we all knew it was coming a good few months before it actually arrived, so you can decide to wait if you want to.

With this model though, even a month ago there was virtually no reason to believe a new model was coming, so people had no reason to wait and bought the then current iPad3. I think the annoyance comes from the fact that, had they known the new model was coming, they'd have been able to make an informed decision on whether to wait or not and it's this that feels like a slap in the face.

Imagine if car manufacturers gave no notice of new models and kept them completely secret then, a couple of months after you pay out £20k for your shiny new car, it's replaced with a new, improved model. How annoyed would you be at that?!

Soldato
Was listening to Howard Stern on the radio swearing about the update in disbelief to his millions of listeners in the states the other day. He always gushes about apple stuff but I was cracking up at how angry this made him cos he always has to have the latest thing. He basically told millions of people to **** apple and this guy has a lot of media pull in the states.

Associate
OP
Opinion seems very polarised on this issue, with some aggrieved at the launch of a new model so soon whilst others are of the opinion that what you bought is still as good as it was before the new model was announced and you have no right to be upset about it.

Personally, I think the issue this time is with the secrecy surrounding the iPad4 and the fact that there was very little info or even rumour about its release until very recently. Whilst all technology is constantly upgraded/replaced, at least with most technology, such as processors, graphics cards and so on, we know what's coming well in advance and are thus able to make an informed decision on whether to buy or wait. Even with the iPad3, we all knew it was coming a good few months before it actually arrived, so you can decide to wait if you want to.

With this model though, even a month ago there was virtually no reason to believe a new model was coming, so people had no reason to wait and bought the then current iPad3. I think the annoyance comes from the fact that, had they known the new model was coming, they'd have been able to make an informed decision on whether to wait or not and it's this that feels like a slap in the face.

Imagine if car manufacturers gave no notice of new models and kept them completely secret then, a couple of months after you pay out £20k for your shiny new car, it's replaced with a new, improved model. How annoyed would you be at that?!
Yes this is more the problem for me. I mean hardware wise I'm not bothered being a generation behind I mean I'm pretty sure you would't be able to tell the difference. It's just Apples stance of only telling you on the day when their website will advertise the iPad 3 as the latest and greatest and boom it's now old technology in compared to what you could have got for you're money.

Although I have to admit Apples support is amazing for this. One of the many reasons I will allays get Apple hardware directly from one of their stores. As you can see it has paid off for me anyway

Xee

Xee

Associate
Anyone know what Tesco's policy is?? - I bought an iPad 3 last month. Not even sure they have any 4's yet.

Any chance I could try Apple?

Last edited:
Soldato
Seriously, and I say this as an iPad3 owner, unless you bought one in the last couple of weeks I don't know why people are moaning. Just skip it and think how much of a leap the next iPad will be when you come to upgrade.

Soldato
I bought my iPad3 on release back in March. Yes I think it's a bit of a slap in the face to refresh it after only seven months but that's the way it is. If I ask myself whether, had I known back in March that they'd refresh it seven months later, I'd have waited, the answer is no. I had a 16GB Wifi iPad2 but wanted the retina display, more space and 3G which is what I got the iPad3 for. I wouldn't have waited another seven months for the iPad4 so it makes no difference. I'll hang on for the next one and see what that brings, just as I'm perfectly happy with my 4S :)

Associate
It overheats to the point of shutting down or system instability? If so, take it back.

Well i am now wondering how out of the ordinary my overheating is, maybe i would have pretty good grounds for swapping it.. the whole getting overheated thing was well documented though, i thought everyone had this problem.

I use it all the time on the move, emailing, internet, handling large PDF's.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only time I've noticed it get warm (not hot) is when I was playing that racing game - can't remember its name - and I kind of expected that since the graphics were quite good.

Aside from the fact the thing takes forever to charge I really can't fault the hardware (iOS is another matter). It's a great tablet, and that doesn't really change in light of the 4th gen.

Back
Top Bottom