Purchased an iPad 3 on the 15th of last month. Would they swap?

Associate
So getting ready for Uni I purchased an iPad 3 to take notes on in lectures. Got it from my local Apple store and well hadn't heard anything in the rumor mill about any new refresh for the iPad line up.

And well would you know it. My device which is just over a month old is now a generation behind (Not overly bothered). I haven't had much experience with Apple's customer services as well nothing of their's I have purchased has happened to go wrong. I purchased it from my local Apple store, what is the likely hood they would swap it for the latest model?

I have heard cases of it before but I'm not sure about this far down the line from purchase :/

Soldato
So getting ready for Uni I purchased an iPad 3 to take notes on in lectures. Got it from my local Apple store and well hadn't heard anything in the rumor mill about any new refresh for the iPad line up.

And well would you know it. My device which is just over a month old is now a generation behind (Not overly bothered). I haven't had much experience with Apple's customer services as well nothing of their's I have purchased has happened to go wrong. I purchased it from my local Apple store, what is the likely hood they would swap it for the latest model?

I have heard cases of it before but I'm not sure about this far down the line from purchase :/

Call tomorrow, I will be .. Purchased mine on the 30th so just under a month, not really happy :/

Associate
OP
Call tomorrow, I will be .. Purchased mine on the 30th so just under a month, not really happy :/
Yeah reckon I will, I mean it's worth a try XD

It's not that I'm sad enough to be like ow I'm a model behind I mean I'm sure it will be hardly noticeable but I just wish Apple would announce these things at least a little bit. While their website still says get the "NEW" iPad 3 and boom not even a month later and their is a new model when I could have easily waited :/.

One down side thou is iOS 6 will be forced upon me. Which means no more jailbreak for a while :(. Only really comes in handy on the iPhone anyway so won't be too much of a big deal. Will miss NCsettings for the wifi/airplane toggles thou.

Soldato
No luck on the phone line, its a 14 day remorse period and Apple have on their internal system that its a 'minor update consisting on some technical fixes and a new connector only' so they won't be accepting returns.

Quote Apple care UK.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
The 4 has the SoC that the 3 should have had. It won't suffer with battery life and heat issues as much.

***** move there Apple.

Associate
OP
Called my Apple Store in Norwich and they are doing this 'swap ipad 3 for 4 scheme'.
I mentioned that I am outside the 30 days and they said that if I popped into the store they could look at the ipad you have and discuss the possibility of doing a swap, but its not guaranteed.

Now to hide my jailbreak so it's not obvious to the naked eye. What are the chances they would plug it in and detect a jailbreak?

Anybody else called yet?

Soldato
Called my Apple Store in Norwich and they are doing this 'swap ipad 3 for 4 scheme'.
I mentioned that I am outside the 30 days and they said that if I popped into the store they could look at the ipad you have and discuss the possibility of doing a swap, but its not guaranteed.

Now to hide my jailbreak so it's not obvious to the naked eye. What are the chances they would plug it in and detect a jailbreak?

Anybody else called yet?

Me, no luck what so ever.
Did you get yours from an Apple store out of curiosity or somewhere else?

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Yeah! How dare apple improve their technology and fix issues!

They haven't, that's the crucial thing - they've replaced it. When the iPad3 came out, it was noted that the performance was below that of the iPad2 in certain situations, and this was due to the higher resolution of the Retina screen and the aging A5 based SoC. The heat it produced, and the battery life were also called into question.

They should've waited until the A6X was ready to ship, that is the SoC that it should've had. To replace your flagship tablet in ~6months is a move that's going to leave a nasty taste in the mouth of many of their customers.

We're getting off topic there though, so I'll shurrup!

Associate
OP
Me, no luck what so ever.
Did you get yours from an Apple store out of curiosity or somewhere else?

I got mine directly from my local Apple store which meant I was able to talk directly to manager, who aprently is able to waver the 14 day return time to 30 days or even more if you are lucky.

Soldato
I got mine directly from my local Apple store which meant I was able to talk directly to manager, who aprently is able to waver the 14 day return time to 30 days or even more if you are lucky.

Got mine from Argos, on the request of the Apple store in Birmingham BullRing =/

They were out of stock of 16GB models and said its due to popularity, I could wait until the end of November for the next big shipment or go to another reseller, after all "If theres any issues you can still come here and get the same great Apple care experience!"

.. except in this situation, its like banging your head into a brick wall.
Argos are the only company in the world with a ridiculous no returns policy it seems, and Apple just say "Well, should have purchased it from us!"

The Apple Care rep agrees with me that the "its out of stock because its so popular!" was a big lie, and stock constraints were in place due to a refresh, but still don't see why I'm in any position to be annoyed.

They also flogged me that "you have no need to worry sir, we support all our devices for at least 5-6 years so your device will continue to be great for a long time to come".

I replied with "IOS 6, iPad 1.. yeah 5 years you say?"
and got a "well, obviously in exceptional circumstances such as the hardware just not being up to task.."
To which i replied, "so clearly not 5 years then? so in 2 years time the chances of my iPad 3 being in the same situation?"
him: "Obviously we can't guarantee that.."
me: "But you said 5 years?"
him: "look, I'm sorry sir there is nothing that can be done, i hope you have learnt your lesson about shopping elsewhere and have a good day"

I said yeah, okay .. and put the phone down.

Raging.

Associate
OP
Got mine from Argos, on the request of the Apple store in Birmingham BullRing =/

They were out of stock of 16GB models and said its due to popularity, I could wait until the end of November for the next big shipment or go to another reseller, after all "If theres any issues you can still come here and get the same great Apple care experience!"

.. except in this situation, its like banging your head into a brick wall.
Argos are the only company in the world with a ridiculous no returns policy it seems, and Apple just say "Well, should have purchased it from us!"

The Apple Care rep agrees with me that the "its out of stock because its so popular!" was a big lie, and stock constraints were in place due to a refresh, but still don't see why I'm in any position to be annoyed.

They also flogged me that "you have no need to worry sir, we support all our devices for at least 5-6 years so your device will continue to be great for a long time to come".

I replied with "IOS 6, iPad 1.. yeah 5 years you say?"
and got a "well, obviously in exceptional circumstances such as the hardware just not being up to task.."
To which i replied, "so clearly not 5 years then? so in 2 years time the chances of my iPad 3 being in the same situation?"
him: "Obviously we can't guarantee that.."
me: "But you said 5 years?"
him: "look, I'm sorry sir there is nothing that can be done, i hope you have learnt your lesson about shopping elsewhere and have a good day"

I said yeah, okay .. and put the phone down.

Raging.
Man that'sreally noy great. I would say call you're local Apple store anyway but I'm pretty sure it would be impossible for them to replace it. Might be worth a try and get them to be simpithetic with you seeing as you aren't even over the 30 days are you?

Soldato
Man that'sreally noy great. I would say call you're local Apple store anyway but I'm pretty sure it would be impossible for them to replace it. Might be worth a try and get them to be simpithetic with you seeing as you aren't even over the 30 days are you?

Just tried two stores - Solihull and Bullring.

Bullring won't be doing any exchanges, at all, unless its within 14 days of purchase from the date of shipping/release of the new iPad (so almost no one will be covered).

Solihull will be doing exchanges but 14 days from the date of announcement (ie: count back 14 days from yesterday) but only for people who purchased their iPads in a physical store, purchases from resellers (authorised professional like the one in Merryhill or just normal bog standard like Argos or Tesco) must be dealt with though them. Purchases from the Apple online store must be dealt with through their online phone system .. I'm told.

So to summarise, they lied about the stock, told me to go somewhere else, and in doing so screwed me over royally.

Yeah, thanks Apple .. i love the iMac and my partner loves your phones, but personally you can go do one with future purchases.

Soldato
Argos just called me back, why on earth they did I have no idea: I've already spoken to them this morning and got told theres nothing they will be willing to do after all.
So someone from CS calls me and just to say they were sorry for the situation but company policy prevents them from doing anything at all.. reiterating what I've already been told, oh well its their phone bill.

They did ask if there was any message i wanted to pass on re: the situation, to help them with future policy making and CS issues.

So i said simple: Apple are apparently doing that little bit extra with a returns policy for recent purchases, your not. Maybe its reasons like this that cause them to be the richest company in the world, and Argos to be closing down stores all over the place.

The caller laughed, we said our goodbyes and that was that.

Totally bizarre situation though.

Back
Top Bottom