Purchasing Land (Farmer)

Soldato
Things like this often are a nightmare and take an unnecessarily long time.

Who did your design and how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking ?
Can you share the design on here ? I always like looking at things like this, I need inspiration for my own garden. :)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Genuinely cannot believe that the price was so low, absolutely delighted to be totally wrong on that one! :) Great job.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Things like this often are a nightmare and take an unnecessarily long time.

Who did your design and how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking ?
Can you share the design on here ? I always like looking at things like this, I need inspiration for my own garden. :)

Design at the moment is a little bit all of the place, its more in my head as a vision and i have stuff mapped out i have done. I just have not yet had time to put in 5D planner and do renders. Lots of Pinterest items i have saved down but i am going for more woodland style. Sleepers and lots of bark as i want to keep it a woodland, similar to the rest of the garden. This however will be sectioned off and have two zones

1. Somewhere that's a little bit special for my daughter. I want a section to be built out as she grows up she will have a large wooden playhouse.

2. Pizza zone... a proper circle setting we can use.

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
I would say that's a bargain for that price. Looks like it pretty much doubles the size of your garden?

Yeah, maybe more. I had a landscaper call in yesterday to look at costing the job. He was seriously shocked at the size. He said this will make a HUGE difference.

However, the original land owner is happy for me take another significant chunk at (no cost) but that means bringing in a water easement/brook onto my land. This is a stock image, but its very, very similar.

My wife works for a water company - she has advised against us doing this should we have any problems (blockage, etc). However, our fence will be right up against this so we now have the sound of running water :)

t6SJtwY.png.jpg

Soldato
Yeah, maybe more. I had a landscaper call in yesterday to look at costing the job. He was seriously shocked at the size. He said this will make a HUGE difference.

However, the original land owner is happy for me take another significant chunk at (no cost) but that means bringing in a water easement/brook onto my land. This is a stock image, but its very, very similar.

My wife works for a water company - she has advised against us doing this should we have any problems (blockage, etc). However, our fence will be right up against this so we now have the sound of running water :)

t6SJtwY.png.jpg

There's also the caveat of flooding - unless it's significantly below your garden level.

Where i grew up, some houses round the corner had a brook/stream running through their back garden - was a lot smaller than the picture above. Although a rarity, it did flood once causing a lot of damage.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
There's also the caveat of flooding - unless it's significantly below your garden level.

Where i grew up, some houses round the corner had a brook/stream running through their back garden - was a lot smaller than the picture above. Although a rarity, it did flood once causing a lot of damage.

Its a good 8 feet below garden level. A condition for the original house contractors was to build this up and make good prior to development. Its a water easement/brook that has been lined with boulders and rock.

In 9 years i have never seen it even go above 1.5 feet . However, i rather just not take any chances.

Soldato
Presumably whether it floods or not it won't matter. You're not changing the lay of the land here, just taking ownership of it.

I'd definitely want the brook, that's badass. You could put a little hydro dam in there.

Soldato
Yeah hydraulically it's not going to make a change to flooding unless your concerned about fence posts lower down. I think it would be nice to have but depends overall how much you'd have on the land and possibly concerns about impacts to dogs /kids if you have any..m

Associate
Soldato
take plenty of before, during and after photos please. I'm interested to see how this plays out. :D

Can't believe you've only spent £2k so far. Local builders round here want £1k just to lay 6 patio slabs lol

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
take plenty of before, during and after photos please. I'm interested to see how this plays out. :D

Can't believe you've only spent £2k so far. Local builders round here want £1k just to lay 6 patio slabs lol

I will keep the thread updated. However, i have spent a little more than just the land cost.

• 8 alders tree's fell or significant reduction (up to 4-6m). (£1070)
  • OST land drawings complete for legal (£385) including full survey boundary lines. + Additional £100 after finding out two deeds (£485)
  • Solicitor fees. (Total £670)
  • Transfer of land (Ive settled on 106 SQM, but have the option to take as much as maybe 200 SQM) (£2,001)

£4,226.00 to date.
*i am just hoping the additional land will add 10% more to the value of the house.

Estimated:

• £2.5 - 3K landscaping and fencing
  • £800 pizza oven and kitchen area
  • £1,000 additional garden furniture
  • £2,000 tree house & wooden climbing frame/set for daughter

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Are you in a position to buy the land now? If get it all sorted now incase anyone changes their mind!

I now own the land. There is no position for anyone to change minds. I have the full deeds (TP1) all setup and in my name. This was made official this week.

Soldato
I now own the land. There is no position for anyone to change minds. I have the full deeds (TP1) all setup and in my name. This was made official this week.

Sorry I meant the complete 200m2? Have you purchased all of the available land?

Will be watching this with great interest...the treehouse will be awesome. Do you watch the Sarah beeny new life in the country? They made quite a big one, no idea on cost but was epic.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Sorry I meant the complete 200m2? Have you purchased all of the available land?

Will be watching this with great interest...the treehouse will be awesome. Do you watch the Sarah beeny new life in the country? They made quite a big one, no idea on cost but was epic.

Yes, all done.

The tree-house is unlikely looking at it more closely (the trees have TPO's).

Over the years i have done a fair amount of work in the garden myself. I nearly spat my coffee out this morning when the first quote arrived.

£4,000 - 4 days work, hardcore and level with perimeter fence. It looks like due to the pandemic builders, landscapers can pull numbers out of the air and still be in demand :(

Associate
Hi, we're interested in buying a little bit of the field next to us, so couple of q's. The field next to us currently has a mortgage on it, so I think we'd need to get a release of charge from the mortgage company. I'm guessing you're fields you bought didn't have any mortgage on them so was more straightforward? What exactly did the solicitor do? Is it something you could have done yourself?

Soldato
I will keep the thread updated. However, i have spent a little more than just the land cost.

• 8 alders tree's fell or significant reduction (up to 4-6m). (£1070)
  • OST land drawings complete for legal (£385) including full survey boundary lines. + Additional £100 after finding out two deeds (£485)
  • Solicitor fees. (Total £670)
  • Transfer of land (Ive settled on 106 SQM, but have the option to take as much as maybe 200 SQM) (£2,001)

£4,226.00 to date.
*i am just hoping the additional land will add 10% more to the value of the house.

Estimated:

• £2.5 - 3K landscaping and fencing
  • £800 pizza oven and kitchen area
  • £1,000 additional garden furniture
  • £2,000 tree house & wooden climbing frame/set for daughter

Amazing isn't it - I spent about the same as you to have 25 meters of pitch and asbestos sewer pipe re-rounded and lined with fiber glass.

I would have prefered your spend but I can now poo without it backing up. :D:D

Back
Top Bottom