1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting down a pet...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vengance, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Vengance

Hitman

My dog is going to be put down in the next couple of days, he's 16, partially blind and his back legs dont work anymore. I know its for the best, dont want him being in pain.
    But i hate how everyone has been telling me, "its for the best", "he's lived a long time", "its better that you do it before he cant walk anymore".
    I still see him as my puppy and he's still so happy, wags his tail all the time :(
    Anyone else had to put a pet down before? Did people give you the same stupid lines to try and cheer you up?

2. knip

Capodecina

I wont be patronising and spin the same yarns. It hurts like hell.
    Just remember all the times youve had together and that will get you through.

3. MookJong

Sgarrista

First of all I know exactly how this feel, been in this situation. I mentally prepared myself for quite a while because I knew it was coming. All I can say is that he might not be around to see but you can still love him forever.

4. Ghosteh

Mobster

If you can, I'd recommend that you get one last picture together, because its what I miss most about my dog, I had the memories and pictures of him throughout his life, but I wish I just had one of me and him together near the end. But maybe that's just me heh.

Good look though mate, it will be hard :(.

And yes, I got the same old lines, both before and after. Made me feel worse most of the time heh.

5. SB118

Sgarrista

Been there, too often. The loss hurts like a mother hubard, but you will get over it.

6. marl

Mobster

No easy way of doing it. People probably mean well, but words alone just are not enough to tide you over this difficult time!

7. Azagoth

PermaBanned

Just don't let them talk you into being present! Say your goodbyes beforehand.

I was present when my cat of 19 years was put to sleep, his kidneys packed in and there was nothingelse that could be done for him, and it was very hard indeed. I'm not afraid to admit that I shed a few tears, it was the look that Parker gave me as he slowly closed his eyes that did it.

8. Hitman_Leon

Man of Honour

Ive had to say bye to a few good friends as they are hardly pets after you have had them so long and it never gets easy, you just have to get through it best you can.

9. _dogma_

Wise Guy

It will hurt. You'll have days where it feels worse than others but you'll get through it. You'll still have the memories and the knowledge that you're doing the best for him.

Hugs xx

10. doofer

Sgarrista

You have to be cruel to be kind unfortunately, I'd never forgive myself if I prolonged my dog suffering because I didn't want to see him put down.

11. Deluxe1

Soldato

My last dog was the same age when he was put to sleep and yes it was for the best.

I had the Vet come out to my house to do it so it would be less stressful on him,was devastated for sometime but you will get over it.

12. Cosimo

Man of Honour

Been there before, it hurts, really hurts but you will get through it. You must say goodbye, don’t stay to watch, can’t say much more than that.
    My thoughts are with you, take care.

13. Deluxe1

Soldato

I could never just walk out and leave my pet i`d have to be there until the very end.

On the morning even tho he couldnt understand me i had a little chat with him and told him what would be happening and then took him with me to the shop and got him a bag of his fav sweets.

He then sat in the garden with me watching me dig a big hole oblivious to the fact that it would be his grave,its been nearly 5 years since that day and thinking about it in detail has got me welling up.

14. theNude

Wise Guy

anyone else think of the jesse the dog from family guy?

the old mans (Herbert)

15. hp7909

Soldato

Went through the same thing around this time last year (see here)

Harder when the pets been with you for so many years, practically a member of the family :(

Don't know what to say, apart from if the vet says so then it really is for the best

16. benneh

Sgarrista

Several. If it's 'for the best' it's generally actually for the best.

17. Fyebot

Gangster

We had to put my cat down after she got cancer :(

Had an operation when she was first diagnosed to remove the tumor, and she seemed fine and happy for several months, but the cancer then spread to her lungs. She was having trouble breathing, just lying there panting and gasping for breath. Vet said we could try radiotherapy to see if it would help, but thought that would just be cruel as she wouldn't know why we were putting her through it and we were warned it was unlikely to help. Had to put her down, couldn't just let her slowly suffocate :(.

We did stay with her when she was put down, was very peaceful .. looked like she was just falling asleep.

Wasn't exactly a great time, my parents had just divorced a few weeks before as well, so my mother was a bit of a train wreck emotionally =/

18. V4NT0M

Capodecina

I took my dog to the vet the other week, he picked him up, had a look and told me he had to put him down, I was distraught, had to ask why, he said "He's ******* heavy!".

Bit of levity always helps...

19. Takhisis

Wise Guy

My thoughts are with you. It hurts so much.

I had to have my grumpy old man Merlin pts on new years day
    [​IMG]

I came down in the morning and found him unable to support his weight on his front arms at all. He had probably had a stroke :( He was a rescue who hadn't been able to be handled much and wouldn't go in with other rats, he was about 18 months when I got him and he lived for a year with me. He gave me a couple of good bites (including nerve damage to one of my fingers) but I still loved him to bits and he even accepted and moved in with two of my others so had rattie company too.

I still miss my little biter :(

20. Participant

Caporegime

What, "cheers buddy"?