Putting power into a leasehold garage

Man of Honour
My house is freehold and there I have a leasehold garage with a long lease from the developers which is opposite the house and under a coachhouse. The coachhouse is owned by an investor who rents it out to the current tennants. The road between my house and the garage is apparently privately owned.

I'm wondering if it's even legally possible to have power put in the garage? I assume I would have to contact the developer and/or the building owner to gain permission, and then have the road dug up and a new RCB with cabling etc connected? Who could I even contact for a quote on such work, would it be a local electricians?

Permabanned
It can be done but it is messy. I would consider approaching the owner of the rented property and see if something can be sorted out / obtaining power from that rented accommodation.

Soldato
I know you can get permission to have cables buried under the road, since where I used to work got a fibre installed under a road.

I'd start with the developer, the other possibility might be to get a separate supply installed in the garage. But what ever you do it's probably not going to be straight forward. What do you actually require power for?

Man of Honour
OP
What do you actually require power for?
I have a car in there that's nearly used, I'd like to hook the battery up to a trickle charger rather than having to disconnect it and charge it in the house as and when. I'd also like light in there so I can find things without using a torch/headlamp etc.

Associate
probably cheaper to buy a decent rechargeable light and a second car battery than it would be to get power to that garage. I mean if that's all you want it for.

Soldato
Obviously anything under the road from your property (the correct way to do it) is going to cost thousands, potentially eye watering bills. Borrowing from the residence above would be fairly easy and cheap but depend entirely on how nice the owner is.

Personally I wouldn't bother with either, it's not been put in when built and is past the point of being an easy fix (and the gain seems fairly minimal).

Soldato
Yeah, cost for that would be a few hundred at most. A proper installation of power to the garage would probably run into the mid thousands - say £3k-£6k at a guesstimate depending on how much road you need to bring up and make good.

Man of Honour
OP
Points all noted, I guess I may have an EV in the future so it would be nice for that aspect too.

Is there anyway of fitting a small discrete and removable solar panel and hooking it up to a solar powered trickle charger?

I've tried, but the face of the garage is north facing so doesn't get too much sun.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Is the road block paved and rarely used if its private? Could always make some calls in person to the neighbours who share that private road with you and if the surface is easy to reinstate then you could just lay some SWA.

Without knowing the road situation its hard to comment...anything involving many parties or if there is much traffic on the road will be fairly hard to achieve. Who owns the road? Does it fall under your management company along with your leasehold garage?

Man of Honour
OP
Is the road block paved and rarely used if its private? Could always make some calls in person to the neighbours who share that private road with you and if the surface is easy to reinstate then you could just lay some SWA.

Without knowing the road situation its hard to comment...anything involving many parties or if there is much traffic on the road will be fairly hard to achieve.

The road is in a private courtyard with an entrance at each side. If it were dug up, people would just gain access from the other side if necessary. I don't think there'd be too many complaints.
No side window that you could sneak a wire in through so a panel could be faced south?
Probably not, there's about 4 foot between the only side wall and the next coach house, so again wouldn't be great for sun. I may reinvestigate though.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The road is in a private courtyard with an entrance at each side. If it were dug up, people would just gain access from the other side if necessary. I don't think there'd be too many complaints.

Probably not, there's about 4 foot between the only side wall and the next coach house, so again wouldn't be great for sun. I may reinvestigate though.
They key here then, is to find out who owns the road, who manages it, and apply for permission. If the road is private then this is a private negotiation between you and the owner of that road. Doesnt sound impossible at all if you gain their permission and are prepared to have whatever surface this is re-instated, and will use an insured contractor for the work?

Back
Top Bottom