Putting the history of Earth into perspective

Soldato
I thought this was a fantastic way of showing how to conceptualise the massive numbers that get thrown around when talking our planets history

The fact that we've only moved 570ft from our (modern humans) evolutionary existence really puts our history into perspective and just how absolutely minute it actually is compared to the rest time in the 4.5billions the Earth has been around

Even the evolution of the first multicellular organisms is quite short even though it's 600million years ago

Soldato
stupid having the "Jesus is crucified" comment amidst all the scientific stuff.

Considering that the Life (And Death) of Jesus marks one of the most important pivotal moments in Human Social and political History, Why not?

(I do not know whether the world today would be a better place or a worse place had the Christian "Movement" fizzled out, but it would certainly be a very different place!)

Man of Honour
Hahahaha all the YouTube comments from people losing their mind over the non-use of Metric units...

stupid having the "jesus is crucified" comment amidst all the scientific stuff.

Mind you some of the science in there is best fit for the evidence we have and far from a certainty as to what actually happened i.e. it is still not entirely certain as to what happened with some of the mass extinction events - one of the ones ascribed to an asteroid impact for instance more recently evidence tends to suggest was only slightly responsible and the larger factor was probably a gamma ray burst event.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Except there is sound academic evidence for the life and crusification of Jesus
There's sound academic evidence for the crucifixion of loads of blokes...they're not all on the timeline, and the only thing differentiating this Jesus is that people fell for it. Hardly a great basis for inclusion in Earth's timeline.

Man of Honour
Why? Didn't that actually happen? Whether or not this dude got up again or was the son of God, who knows, but I thought some guy did get crucified?

Many people were crucified. Whether any of them were the figurehead of a new sect of Judaism that split off enough to be classed as a different religion is another story. Maybe. Maybe not. No way of knowing.

But the important thing is that it's not important enough to warrant inclusion on such a brief summary.

Permabanned
Talking of massive numbers, surely the number of times the " one where Joey is stupid and Monica is annoying "
episode of Friends has been shown around the world must have exceeded the number of atoms in the universe
a fair few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom