Q4MAX 0.78 for Quake4 released!

Associate
quake4 1.4beta patch was released by ID software a few days ago. Last night the competition mod q4max, which has a substantial number of features and improvements was released last ngiht for use with this beta patch.

Servers can now set their own fps cap. The player model hitboxes have been significantly improved. There is a spectator feature called Q4TV included. Many sound bugs and netcode problems have been fixed.

Remember this is only beta, and further tweaking will be done before final release, but it really is an improvement to the game.

I suggest any of you who are past Quake players who were turned off Q4 at the beginning come back for another try. The game has changed MASSIVELY since then

Caporegime
Im gonna wait til the offical patch is out - last couple of betas for Q4 havent exactly been perfectly stable...

Any servers to recommend?!? Looks like Q4MAX might be the new OSP...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
Always wanted to play Quake, might try and get into this, sine the only FPS i play is UT04.
Can anyone give me some essential gameplay tips, for someone who has never ever touched Quake.

The equivalent in UT04, being things such as dodge jumping, wall jumping .... .ini tweaks for fast piped weapon switching, useful keybinds such as middlemouse brings up shield, those type of things.

cheers

Associate
Well, coming from UT04 myself....

For Q3 at least:
Duplicated all my binds for weapons over, shield=gauntlet etc.
Install CPMA mod (kinda like utcomp) which shows your speed on the bottom right and learn how to get up to fast speeds while retaining direction and attack abilities.

Which brings me to another point, I watched someone (in Q3) get up to 750ups in two moves without weapons. What exactly is being done by the player to do that, I just can't replicate it myself :/

What are the techniques for moving fast in Q4?

Associate
i played a little q4 when it first came out and i seem to remember you can ramp jump, strafe as normal like q3 and hit a ramp right and it sends you flying.

Caporegime
might be fps related - com_maxfps = 333 ;)

Bones said:
i played a little q4 when it first came out and i seem to remember you can ramp jump, strafe as normal like q3 and hit a ramp right and it sends you flying.
Most annoying thing when you are on a flag run - so hate it...

Associate
Yeah, I noticed there's some kind of funky crouch>jump business too. But never managed to send myself "flying" via a ramp.

To strafe jump do you need to alternate left right strafts?

Caporegime
sup3rc0w said:
WOW never realised Q3 A was so frenetic.... micght actually give this a go!!
I love the way you can boost and "climb up walls" by shooting underneath you!
LOL Q3A is the fastest FPS I know, you really notice how crap/slow you are when you have been out of the game for an age...

Check out own-age.com for more trickjumping vids :) - The OPC ones are excellent...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom