• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

q6600 OC

Associate
hi all, how well can a 5 year old q6600 be expected to overclock with a noctua nh-d14? is it worth buying the noctua at all? i read that oc shouldn't do anything bad if done right, but would like to make sure ^^

thanks very much

Last edited:
Caporegime
What stepping is it? Is it a G0 SLACR?

If so then expect anywhere from 3.2-3.7GHz depending on the airflow through your case, your ambient temperature, your motherboard's overclockability, and how good a a chip you have.

Mine sat all day long air-cooled at 3.7GHz, but I appreciate that not all will.

Soldato
I'd say 99% won't ;) 3.4-3.6Ghz is likely a more achievable goal. That cooler should handle it well, though saying that! I've seen the Q6600 bring some coolers that were clocking 2600ks with no problem to their knees.. darn hot chip.

Associate
OP
thanks for replies! can't really tell what stepping it is yet. it's a hand-me-down that hasn't arrived in my hands yet. will it make a difference?

i was going to head for 3.6 anyway, nothing too drastic i hope :p

also my mobo is a GA-P43T-ES3G (rev. 1.3). supposedly it overclocks ok. (hope so anyway!)

Soldato
What stepping is it? Is it a G0 SLACR?

If so then expect anywhere from 3.2-3.7GHz depending on the airflow through your case, your ambient temperature, your motherboard's overclockability, and how good a a chip you have.

Mine sat all day long air-cooled at 3.7GHz, but I appreciate that not all will.

I'd say 99% won't ;) 3.4-3.6Ghz is likely a more achievable goal. That cooler should handle it well, though saying that! I've seen the Q6600 bring some coolers that were clocking 2600ks with no problem to their knees.. darn hot chip.

I would actually say it is more like 3.2-3.4Ghz with 3.2Ghz being the average overclock. Anything above that is bonus really.

Many Q6600s between 3.4-3.6Ghz may well be Prime95 stable, but running IBT on custom and ensuring high GFlops will crash these overclocks.

Soldato
I would actually say it is more like 3.2-3.4Ghz with 3.2Ghz being the average overclock. Anything above that is bonus really.

Many Q6600s between 3.4-3.6Ghz may well be Prime95 stable, but running IBT on custom and ensuring high GFlops will crash these overclocks.

Meant more likely achievable, when compared to 3.6Ghz. Definetly 3.2-3.4Ghz is more the norm. The IBT fails are more cooling related though and the oc might be considered still 'technically' stable as nothing will ever get it that hot. Had a few golden chips do 3.8Ghz over the yrs and passed prime/IBT with no problems but the number is definetly countable on one hand.

My (2nd hand) G0 Q6600 does 3GHz (333*9) at stock volts. That's on a Gigabyte G41 motherboard which apparently are bad at overclocking?

No idea as i never used budget boards to clock them, but the few G41 i played with topped out at around 340MHz, did 333 just fine and most Q6600 would do 3GHz at or below stock vid all day. Just did the odd E4500 or E5xxx on them though, no quads.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
4.0 :O. don't have the cojones to try that. seems like a touch and go kind of thing. well i'll see what i can get. fingers crossed for 3.6 still, even though the board is kind of budget...

Soldato
thanks for replies! can't really tell what stepping it is yet. it's a hand-me-down that hasn't arrived in my hands yet. will it make a difference?

i was going to head for 3.6 anyway, nothing too drastic i hope :p

also my mobo is a GA-P43T-ES3G (rev. 1.3). supposedly it overclocks ok. (hope so anyway!)

The cpu will either have Slacr (G0) or Sl9um (B3) stamped on it.
The G0 ones do overclock higher and use less voltage and produce less heat.
Saying that i have had a B3 at 3.3ghz before but on a P45 mobo with the NH-D14.

Max voltage is 1.5v and max temp is around 80.C

here is a thread, with settings for 3.2ghz with a Q6600 and your mobo.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/overclocking/39841-oc-help-q6600-ga-p43-es3g-mobo.html

Associate
Mine (G0 stepping) is happy at 3.5 but with hefty water cooling and 1.44v. I could probably get the volts down but have never had to worry about it given that I can cool it at those volts anyway.

It is a really great chip, but for me the newer motherboards offer enough new features to change.

Associate
OP
that thread's also gonna come in really handy, thanks a lot j.col!

lol yeah director, my tentative plan is to change with the ivybridge release anyway. either an ivybridge or hopefully a reduced 2500k

Soldato
I just bumped mine to 3GHz on stock volts with a P31 motherboard last week for the hell of it. I figured it was time to actually do something with it after finally sorting out the air flow in my case. That was simple, but I don't trust my motherboard with much further.

Associate
Ive got mine at 3.2ghz with arctic 7 pro, but it hits 75c underload. The vcore is low (under 1.3) idk if this is normal for a g0 vid1.225 chip?

Back
Top Bottom