Quantum physics theory made to make even less sense

Soldato
Gone is the cat who might be dead, or alive but is most definitely both states until observed

Instead we have Anna & Brad as psychic buddies outside the box observing and a physicist with test equipment inside schrodingers box making quantum physics that bit more confusing

Schrodinger's cat has gotten several upgrades throughout the years. Hungarian physicist Eugene Wigner proposed a version involving a physicist who lived in the box and had a measuring device for determining one of two options.

And it's this version of the 'box' that Frauchiger and Renner are upgrading. In this version, they have two Wigners doing an experiment on their friend who they keep in the box.

One friend (Anna) tosses a coin and (because she's luckily a physicist) makes a quantum message to send to her friend Brad. Brad (who is also a physicist) can pick up Anna's message and understand the result of the coin toss.

The problems start when the Wigners open their boxes to check on their friends. According to Renner, when they open their boxes, they should conclude with certainty where the coin landed in the toss.

However, their conclusions are inconsistent. “One says, ‘I’m sure it’s tails,’ and the other one says, ‘I’m sure it’s heads,’” Renner told Nature. The pair of Swiss physicists have managed to considerably upset modern physicists in the process of sharing their new deliberations.

“Some get emotional,” Renner said. And different researchers tend to draw different conclusions. “Most people claim that the experiment shows that their interpretation is the only one that is correct.”

https://interestingengineering.com/new-interpretation-of-schrodingers-cat-disrupts-quantum-mechanics

Using this theory would mean that no 2 persons realities are the same, if multiverses are real then you could have people experiencing multiple universes at once just they observe different realities at different points in time :confused:

It could potentially mean that false memory - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_memory isn't actually false memory but just a persons observation of different but entirely real reality :eek:

Soldato
Sounds like someone's been watching Fringe

although, in all seriousness, I have experienced alternate realities before

Last year I asked the mrs where both pairs of bathroom scissors were. She said "we've only ever had one pair, not two". A few weeks later, there were two pairs on the shelf.

and before any bright spark says "well she's obviously been out and bought another pair", she didn't

Soldato
I don't understand this at all, it seems like some information is missing from the article... everything has an observer what does one person being in a box change?

Caporegime
although, in all seriousness, I have experienced alternate realities before

Last year I asked the mrs where both pairs of bathroom scissors were. She said "we've only ever had one pair, not two". A few weeks later, there were two pairs on the shelf.

and before any bright spark says "well she's obviously been out and bought another pair", she didn't

I too have experienced alternate realities... one time I was plugging in a USB stick... I tried to plug it in one way up and it didn't fit, I then flipped it over 180 degrees and tried to plug it in and it didn't fit... then I flipped it over 180 degrees again, and it did fit! :eek:

Soldato
I too have experienced alternate realities... one time I was plugging in a USB stick... I tried to plug it in one way up and it didn't fit, I then flipped it over 180 degrees and tried to plug it in and it didn't fit... then I flipped it over 180 degrees again, and it did fit! :eek:

Yup, alternative realities explains a hell of a lot

Soldato

quantum usb superposition, it's a well known phenominon, the only sure-fire way to prevent this is to observe the stick to determine which of the 2 states it is in thus locking it to that state.

Soldato

Interestingly this fits with the "spin" of quarks which can have rotational symmetry greater than 360 degrees. (I.e. you have to rotate them more than once before they come around to right side up again).

I think you just unified quantum mechanics and general relativity.

Associate
This is where the theory falls down. Brad is not the kind of name that Physicists have. Brad is almost certainly either a jock or some slimy middle manager type.
Hmm, maybe Brad can be everything until someone has a look and collapses the wave function/splits reality/etc.?
And physicists wonder why they don't get invited to "those sorts of parties" :)

Man of Honour

I have something like that with a screwdriver - part of a set of two - for months at a time it is nowhere to be seen then suddenly pops up again (no one is borrowing it). When I last moved house I went through every one of my tools looking for it when packing them up definitely wasn't there yet a few weeks later there it was in the draw making me feel like I'm losing my mind hah. I'm packing up to move again at the moment and I can't find it for the life of me but it was there a few weeks back.

Back
Top Bottom