Queen Elizabeth Aircraft Carrier sets sail tonight

Associate
What a beautiful sight:

Certainly is and I'm sure a very proud day for all those on board and involved behind the scenes.

Have noticed that she hasn't had any of her armaments fitted yet. But seeing as she's conducting sea trails and not entering service until 2020 I'm sure they've more important things to worry about at present :)

Soldato
Someone clarify for me, she has now done basic sea trials.
So she doesn't leak overly, or if she does they'll be sorting that next.

What % of her equipment is installed?
They said she'll receive aircraft by end of 2019, but not be fully operation until 2023.

So what's onboard and what is yet to be installed?

There was a story last week of a chap who landed his big drone on her desk, was a bit surprised it wasn't detected by radar or defensive systems or by some chap actually patrolling the desk at night.
As some point one would assume a fully operational flagship will have the ability to detect and stop someone landing a big drone on the desk?

Man of Honour
Someone clarify for me, she has now done basic sea trials.
So she doesn't leak overly, or if she does they'll be sorting that next.

What % of her equipment is installed?
They said she'll receive aircraft by end of 2019, but not be fully operation until 2023.

So what's onboard and what is yet to be installed?

There was a story last week of a chap who landed his big drone on her desk, was a bit surprised it wasn't detected by radar or defensive systems or by some chap actually patrolling the desk at night.
As some point one would assume a fully operational flagship will have the ability to detect and stop someone landing a big drone on the desk?

I'd be more worried the Type 45 that should be shadowing her didn't pick up on it their systems should be able to detect something like that at short range and supposedly in the extreme resolve a firing solution on an object the size of a cricket ball doing like mach 2 or 3 or something at medium to long range. Eventually the carrier should have some of the same type of defensive systems but no idea on when/if they are operational.

I despair something when it comes to this country - while unlikely in the event of conflict breaking out it will be WW2 all over again and we'll take a bunch of totally avoidable losses - which would probably include one or both carriers - early on before people get organised and take stuff seriously.

Soldato
I despair something when it comes to this country - while unlikely in the event of conflict breaking out it will be WW2 all over again and we'll take a bunch of totally avoidable losses - which would probably include one or both carriers - early on before people get organised and take stuff seriously.

WW1 and 2 all over again. Before both wars the government made huge cuts to the military, they never learn. Though next time I doubt conscription would work to well, so we would be stuffed.

Associate
LOL...

She's a long way from being ready. The "basic" sea trial is just that, and it's not looking for leaks and sorting these out. The fact she's currently sailing with 200+ contractors on board should give you an indication as to what's left to check, double check, triple, snag list and yet to install. When whoever signs on that dotted line to take her off the hands from the contractors they'll want to be sure that they're getting their £3bn worth.

Remember this is her first trip out, she'll still have things such as cold & hot water/climate trials to do, full engine trials etc. That's before having any aircraft to worry about and her combat systems, once they're all installed. The full bureaucracy/paper work involved must be overwhelming.

The drone story is the first I've heard of it. But on a carrier you don't have someone patrolling the flight deck at night :) at least not whilst at sea, in port yes, but not at sea.

Also, once she's signed off and handed over the crew get put through their paces with BOST etc under the watchful eye of FOST.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Looking into it seems it was fairly early on when the drone was "accidentally" landed on the carrier while still docked up at Invergordon, Scotland so a little less concerning though not ideal. Would have been much more alarming if it was while under way joined to a group.

WW1 and 2 all over again. Before both wars the government made huge cuts to the military, they never learn. Though next time I doubt conscription would work to well, so we would be stuffed.

I really don't understand it - there are cuts and then there are taking ridiculous risks even with the high chance of getting away with it - because one day you won't and it could cost us dearly.

Soldato
I live in Pompey and thought about going to have a look after work. I hear it's clearly visible from Portsdown Hill too, and that's not surprising given it's size.

Man of Honour
For those who would like to know more about these ships I'd urge you to move away from the mainstream media as it's soundbite, politically biased (both ways) and usually badly informed. There are some fair to good online sources out there, one mentioned above, but others such as:

http://www.defencetalk.com/
http://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/
http://navalanalyses.blogspot.co.uk/

Like all sources there will be opinion and editorial bias but most of them are objectively analysing things. When it comes to defence matters on this and other forums it tends to be a 'quick, rush to Wikipedia' approach, but for those interested in such matters, with a naval bias these offer a fair perspective.

Man of Honour

Yup, this. People complaining all over the web about how peaceful things are, there is no war, spend it on other things. People never learn. I would rather have a load more ships and not have to use them.

Man of Honour
Yup, this. People complaining all over the web about how peaceful things are, there is no war, spend it on other things. People never learn. I would rather have a load more ships and not have to use them.

Me too as ships are ace, especially Battleships which are super ace. :D

Man of Honour
Me too as ships are ace, especially Battleships which are super ace. :D
I often take the riverboat part of the way home on the River Thames and pass the HMS Belfast. I appreciate it's only a Cruiser and it's incredibly old now but it's a lovely sight.

Soldato
And sadly almost completely redundant in modern warfare.
Still not been properly replaced in the naval gunfire support role and probably never will be but like you say beyond that they really offer nothing in a modern navy that is rightly made up of small technologically advanced ships or in the case of the Royal Navy small badly designed and poorly equipped ships in insufficient numbers!

Back
Top Bottom