Query on what ram can/should be used

Associate
Evening all!
Currently have a Maximus V Formula, running 24gb of corsair vengeance, when i run Speccy i see:
24.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Listed for my RAM. i'd like to upgrade it but no idea whats best bang for buck in terms of RAM.

So have come here to seek advice on what the upgrade should be :)

Regards
Rich

Soldato
Your memory is running @1333MHz (Double Data Rate). The best upgrade may be to overclock it. I'd be happy with reaching 1600Mhz, as the gains beyond that are minimal.

First things first - is XMP for the memory enabled in the BIOS already? And by upgrade do you mean replacing the RAM, or adding to it?

Soldato
Try the memory at 1600, but personally I would just keep running at 1333.

If overclocking I would only keep with-in the recommended voltage as increasing memory voltage can shorten component life.

Buying faster RAM will give a few percent increase at most. Ask yourself would you upgrade your CPU for just a few percent, probably not. Save your money and put it towards a big upgrade in a few years.

Associate
OP
Evening all and thanks for the responses.
Why upgrade? Just thought it was time to bring the old beast a little more up to date.
Currently have 2x 8gb modules and 2x 4gb modules in. Both are matched pairs and run the same, don't have any issues with it just thought it could do with a bit of a change.
Not sure what else I could upgrade, cpu, gpu, ssd, psu and case are all bang on.
Ssd is the evo 1tb, gpu is the R9 290. Recently picked up a cracking monitor for it and fancied updating something else :) any suggestions other than ram? How will I know what best setting is to OC to?
Regards
Rich.

Back
Top Bottom