Question? Can u remove innards from new smart phone to older smart phone?

Associate
Just out of interest........
Is it possible to (for example) remove the innards of a new phone and put them into an older style smart phone?
For example; A fairly recent iphone 6s or 7 into an older stlye iphone 4s?
Or any phone innards/workings into an older/another type of smart phone casing?
It's got me and a few people asking as everyone I talk with hates the super large smart phones that only seem to be available at the moment?
Surely someone with the expertise would make an excellent business out of being able to do this?

Associate
iPhone SE is a good choice.

I had an iPhone 6 for a while and couldnt get to grips with the slippy design, and it was slightly too big for my liking. I've had the SE since it released and it's still snappy.

I don't keep up to date with Apple too much anymore but I would guess at some point they would do an SE 2.0 as the original was quite a success.

Edit-
The SE has the same chip as the 6s

Associate
OP
Yeah, like the SE too, apart from the sony xz2 - everything else seems like a brick, who really wants a 'small tablet/laptop' in their pocket - quite a lot I suppose otherwise they wouldn't make them so big.
There's got to be a strong market out there still for a 'sensible' sized phone like the iphone 4s, which everybody loved.
PiKe; maybe so - maybe not? Maybe a good business opportunity for someone?
So anyone with the tech ability - please make a 'modified' iphone 4s or samsung s5 with the innards of the latest smartphones.

Soldato
This doesn't exactly answer the question but I feel it's relevant because I spent about a year looking for a smaller replacement to my Oneplus One (yes, really!). I eventually found the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite whilst not 'small' it is smaller than most alternatives. It's really very good actually; I got 5 days battery usage out of it last week!

Soldato
This doesn't exactly answer the question but I feel it's relevant because I spent about a year looking for a smaller replacement to my Oneplus One (yes, really!). I eventually found the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite whilst not 'small' it is smaller than most alternatives. It's really very good actually; I got 5 days battery usage out of it last week!
5 days is impressive! Not had that sort of battery life on a phone for years.

I recently made the move from a Note 8 to an iPhone SE, just because I’d grown tired of having such a big phone. I don’t regret it at all so far:)

Associate
I've had 2 iPhone SE's, my current one coming up to 2 years old, its starting to show its age now, crashing, slowing down, rubbish battery etc, have been thinking of upgrading to an iphone 7 or 8, but they are just too big in my eyes.

Associate
OP
They're all flipping bricks these days indeed Jasoncmor, so big that if you're a bloke and usually carry a phone in your pocket you're forced to take it out if you want to sit down. Massive market out there for one of the phone makers to release mini versions of the big phones surely?
The Sony XZ2 is 'comparitively' modest sized compared to the trend for elephantine sized collosal coffers they call smartphones nowadays. The SE is sensible sized too, but it would seem the phone companies are up to their old capitalist tricks again by their many 'updates' that are actually downgrades to make the phone appear slow and old compared to the newer models that they want to push.

Soldato
Can't stand big phones, which means I can only buy the Sony compact phones for me and Mrs Cheesyboy. Currently rocking an old Z5 compact, but it needs replacing - eyeing up an XZ1 compact (XZ2C is a bit pricey). Mrs C has an X compact.

Soldato
Is it possible to (for example) remove the innards of a new phone and put them into an older style smart phone?
It's got me and a few people asking as everyone I talk with hates the super large smart phones that only seem to be available at the moment?
Surely someone with the expertise would make an excellent business out of being able to do this?

I can't imagine it being all that difficult tbh, but the bigger question and the reason why you don't see this kind of thing offered, is what's the point?

Soldato

You can’t do this with iPhones. Even between the 4 and 4S there were changes that would prevent the MLB and some of the transducers from being interchangeable.

The only possible exception would be putting the 5SE internals into a 5. The main housing on the 5 wasn’t very robust, so I can’t see anyone wanting to even try this.

Soldato
I'm sure it's possible but the amount of effort and cost of getting it done would make it unviable, huge companies release phones with issues and they have entire teams of people trying to create a perfect product, not to mention it would probably be very frowned upon by the original manufacturer, you would be better off designing phone from scratch to meet your needs.

Could you put the innards in to another phone? Probably with enough time and effort.

Could you do it in such a way that you have a reliable device that you can use day to day? Doubtful.

Back
Top Bottom