Question for anyone who can speak/pronounce Greek....

Soldato
How would you pronounce this name:

Avgerinopoulou

One colleague is convinced the V&G are both pronounced, the other thinks one of them would be silent..

What say ye? :)

Caporegime
Is that the English translation of the name?
With Greek letters you pronounce them .

When you translate names is the name spelt in English to allow us to pronounce it how it would be in Greek?

If so do you have the Greek spelling

Soldato
OP
Is that the English translation of the name?
With Greek letters you pronounce them .

When you translate names is the name spelt in English to allow us to pronounce it how it would be in Greek?

If so do you have the Greek spelling

This is how the Greek person said their surname was spelt is all.

Soldato
can't help with the pronunciation - well i could but it would mean email a friend that lives on Paros and waiting on a reply by which time i imagine you'll already have your answer. that said, if you don't get any joy tag me in a post or ping me a message and i'll see if i can find out

Be careful, misspelling or mispronouncing a foreign name is casual racism according to some on here.
i've just read your filthy, disgusting, utterly racist post. how very dare you. i'm assuming that you suitably castigated yourself (and hopefully publicly!) once you realised the folly of your ways. if Jade Goody wasn't dead i'd think you were her!!!! :p trolololololol

Associate
Well, it depends on also where the emphasis is given. Is it Αυγερινόπουλου in which case the emphasis is on the 4th syllable, or Αυγερινοπούλου, in which case it would be on the 5th. I think the second option is probably the one most commonly used, so if that is the case, it should be pronounced as: Av-ye-ri-no-poo-loo, with all consonants being pronounced soft, and emphasis on the -poo.

Hope this helps a bit.

P.S. the google translate sound (when you click on the Greek speaker side) is not bad. It is robotic, and would think somebody is challenged if they spoke like that, but if said as one smooth word, is not too far off the real thing.

Back
Top Bottom