Questions about tyres

Man of Honour
Get the tracking checked and also check your pressures. I don't think a 4 wheel alignment is worth it unless your rear tyres are wearing unevenly too and I don't know how much adjustment a Focus provides for anyway.

Soldato
JUST about legal IMO. Outer edges are worn indicating heavy cornering/under inflated or tracking is slightly out.

1. Check pressures.
2. Get new tyres when you can, not urgent (perhaps 1000 miles left on them)
3. Monitor new tyres, if outer wear continues, get the tracking done.

Soldato
Look fairly evenly worn, perhaps just a touch too much pressure in them.

If one side was showing canvas and the other had full tread then you would have an issue!

Some **** garages would cause more problems than they would solve "doing the tracking".

I'd leave them be, get a new pair of fronts and make sure the pressures right, can the rear suspension even be adjusted if you had 4 wheel alignment done...

Soldato
There should be a sticker on the car somewhere telling you. Often on the pillar when you open the drivers door, or the back of the fuel filler cap, somewhere like that.

Failing that, the recommended amounts will be in the handbook.

Associate
Look legal to me but I'd ditch them ASAP with the cracking and get a proper alignment done when new tyres fitted. How long have they been on the car?

Associate
For future reference - if you look in the deep treads you'll find several raised points (in your last pic there one just below the stone thats stuck in the tread). these indicate the legal minimum tread level. That said its not always a good plan to run down to the minimum.

As others have said tyres are not in great shape and it certainly looks like there is an alignment issue which you shoudl get checked as otherwise you risk have the same issue on the new ones when they are fitted. Also will be causing you to have less than maximum grip etc.

Soldato
The legal limit for minimum depth of the tread on your tyres is 1.6 millimetres, across the central ¾ of the tread around the complete circumference of the tyre.

I would think those have been under inflated to wear out the edges like that. I would change them asap as they must be close to 1.6mm across 75% of the tread and in that condition they are not going to move much water in a heavy shower.

Tyres are like PSU's not worth skimping on.

Andi.

Top Bottom