1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick help with PSU

Discussion in 'New to PC gaming & upgrade advice' started by Ginjarou, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Ginjarou

Associate

Hi all,

I've just bought the following:

Ryzen 5 2600X
    MSI B450M mATX AM4 Motherboard
    Corsairs 2x8gb DDR 3200
    MSI RTX 2060 Ventus

I'm using my old case and an old Cooler Master G700 PSU.

This motherboard requires a 4pin CPU connector. This PSU doesn't have one but looks like it has 4+4 connectors as shown here.

I found these on my PSU and can insert them both into the 4pin socket. At first it looks as though the shapes of the connectors and socket don't match up but it does still fit.

Please can anyone advise if this is correct? I'm just worried I may damage something.

Thank you!

2. Danny75

Soldato

Yup, just stick one of the 4-pins in. There should be a clip on the connector which you match with the clip on the socket in case you have any doubt.

3. Ginjarou

Associate

I've put both these 2x2 pins in and they seem to go in fine. Let's see what happens :)

4. freddie64

Wise Guy

What Motherboard is it exactly?

Can't find one that only has a 4 pin CPU connector.

Do you mean it has a 8 pin + 4 pin connectors? In which case i believe you can use only the 8 pin on its own.

5. Ginjarou

Associate

Yes sorry 8 pin (2 by 4). It seems to work fine with these two 2 by 2 connectors.

My PC is silent - which I love. The only thing making noise now is the PSU which is making a lot more noise than it used to

6. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

Might be time for a new PSU...