Quick MOT Question

Associate
Just found out that my mot expires tomorrow, so just want to clarify something... Am I ONLY allowed to drive the car if it's been pre-booked at a mot test centre and I am on my way there? (As I'm planning on doing so first thing in the morning).

Associate
just to slightly hijack this thread.
If i was buying a car from a long way from home, and i booked it into a test station near home, then drove it straight there, am i taking any risks with that?

how bad is it if the car is also not taxed? (it would be insured)

Associate
Im not too sure but driving a un taxed car may invalidate your insurance, im sure no MOT does though - i dont think the police would be too sympathetic to you.....

Associate
teulk said:
Im not too sure but driving a un taxed car may invalidate your insurance, im sure no MOT does though - i dont think the police would be too sympathetic to you.....

the old it's not insured, if it's not taxed/mot'd comes up all the time. it is insured for all circumstances.

Guv

Guv

Soldato
Zuma said:
just to slightly hijack this thread.
If i was buying a car from a long way from home, and i booked it into a test station near home, then drove it straight there, am i taking any risks with that?

how bad is it if the car is also not taxed? (it would be insured)

I expect there's some guideline about it being a 'reasonable' distance to the test centre or something. I'm not sure though

Associate
Zuma said:
the old it's not insured, if it's not taxed/mot'd comes up all the time. it is insured for all circumstances.

It isnt "insured for all circumstances", yes you will be driving to a MOT centre and that is ok but there is the question of distance, however if you knowingly drive a car with no Mot without the intention of getting the test done then your driving an vehicle unworthy to drive on public roads and that "may" invalidate your insurance - i say "may" though

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/28.htm

quote "MOT. Cars and motorcycles MUST normally pass an MOT test three years from the date of the first registration and every year after that. You MUST NOT drive a vehicle without an MOT certificate, when it should have one. Driving an unroadworthy vehicle may invalidate your insurance. Exceptionally, you may drive to a pre-arranged test appointment or to a garage for repairs required for the test.
Law RTA 1988 sects 45, 47, 49 & 53 " unquote

Also driving without tax carries a maximum of a £1000 fine, driving without an MOT also carries a maximum fine of £1000

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom