Quick Question, Worth going for a 1000w PSU over a 750/850 PSU

Associate
Hi there

So is it worth going for a 1000w PSU over a 750/850 PSU at the same price

Seasonic gold Ultra 1000W
or
Seasonic 850w focus/prime titinium

all are the same price at other places

I ask this as i know 1000W is over kill for any system but i ask this becasue the 1000W can be had for the same price as the 850W at the moment and are the same brand.

looking to build a 3900x or 3950x with a Vega card and gigabyte x570 master

would i benifift or lose andything by going the !000W over 850W like heat of noise.

thanks

Associate
OP
The Prime Titanium range has quality components... That would be my choice.

so what your saying the seasonic Gold Ultra Prime does not have quality compnents as the titainum i find that strange. what i am asking is there more problems with the 1000w over the 850w or 750w would it be wotrht going for the 1000w for the same price ? as i dont need it but also dont want to get one if the 1000W gets hotter or sounds louder.

Soldato
There is no reason to go with a 1000W unit. You won't even need 850W for a 3900X/3950X and Vega gpu. A 650W/750W would cover it.

You can get better value units than Seasonic own brand anyway. Even some of the Seasonic rebrands are usually cheaper (Antec, CoolerMaster and Phanteks all have some Seasonic units in their lineups) or look at other alternatives like the Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi, Bitfenix Whisper or SuperFlower Leadex III etc.

I am not a fan of the Focus units when paired with a Vega gpu just because of previous issues that model had with that card. They half fixed it with a pcie cable upgrade but that supposedly caused other problems. There is a new Focus range but I haven't looked at reviews for them.

Soldato
akk these PSU's have 10 yrs warranty, lee32uk? i'm tired for 2/5 yrs...espceially now with xfx xtr and sending to other country and shipping cost are not low.
who has best RMA process?

Associate
OP
The gfx card I have says min 750w so I was looking at the 850 to be sure. But I did notice the 1000w on sale at the same price now.

Yep I read there is a new focus model out that prob will have the fixes and problems sorted from the past. Also the primes are getting replaced to.

The problem is I thought the older models would have dropped in price but instead the new models are very expensive and the older models have went up in price and are about £30 behind the new range and are still silly money.

Soldato
akk these PSU's have 10 yrs warranty, lee32uk? i'm tired for 2/5 yrs...espceially now with xfx xtr and sending to other country and shipping cost are not low.
who has best RMA process?

Corsair have UK RMA, and most of their units have 10 year warranties. There is also a Corsair rep on here as well.

Soldato
The gfx card I have says min 750w so I was looking at the 850 to be sure. But I did notice the 1000w on sale at the same price now.

Yep I read there is a new focus model out that prob will have the fixes and problems sorted from the past. Also the primes are getting replaced to.

The problem is I thought the older models would have dropped in price but instead the new models are very expensive and the older models have went up in price and are about £30 behind the new range and are still silly money.

The gpu manufacturers always overestimate the psu side of things. Probably to cover themselves from people using lower end units. You should check a review of the gpu to get a better idea of power consumption.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
so what your saying the seasonic Gold Ultra Prime does not have quality compnents as the titainum i find that strange. what i am asking is there more problems with the 1000w over the 850w or 750w would it be wotrht going for the 1000w for the same price ? as i dont need it but also dont want to get one if the 1000W gets hotter or sounds louder.

From reading reviews, the Titanium models have larger capacitors than the Prime model... to quote one review, "This means that the capacitors in the Titanium unit are running at a much lower percentage of capacity under identical load conditions, which likely is helping improve the overall proficiency of the power delivery and ripple suppression."

That said, both are good products, and these differences may well be immaterial. My response was also a direct answer to your question... You don't need a 1000W PSU, so out of the options you presented, I would get the 850W Prime Titanium because it offers ample power delivery, better quality and the same price as the other options.

@lee32uk asks the better question, whether you need any of these options, and should be considering other products that are cheaper but offer comparable or close to comparable performance.

Associate
Looking at a similar build myself next year.

I already have a 1000w CoolerMaster V series barely used from an old Crossfire sytem, Seasonic platform.

But deemed that as complete overkill.

I have a new Seasonic 650w platinum PSU on its way to replace the Seasonic X-650w that is still going since my 775 system.

Just cant see where these massive 750w plus requirements are comming from these days with current hardware configs.

Associate
OP
Id go for the lower wattage one as it will have better quality stuff in it.. You get what you pay for these days.

that makes no sence at all, a lower Wattage PSU would not mean better quality components. to be honest a higher wattage unit should have better components to get it higher.

Associate
OP
Anyhoo, I just seen a 1000W Titanium Seasonic on sale and that is cheaper than these right now

850w gold, platinum and Titanium (alll higher priced)
750w platinum and Titanium (gold is lower priced)
650w Titanium (gold & Platinum are lower price)

the only PSU i can find that is the same price as the 1000w Titanium at the moment is 750w platinum version, as 850w versions are all more expensive. Even the new 850w focus platinums are slighty higher or same price at the moment.

so what would you go for ? i know i dont need 1000W but to get the same type of psu and price i would need to get the 750w platinum or focus 850w platinum.

the only cheaper PSU than the 1000w Titanium Seasonic is the

Seasonic Focus PX 750
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 750

Seasonic Focus PX 850
Seasonic PRIME Gold 850

thanks just thought i would ask as the 1000W Titanium is on a good price at the mement

thanks

Last edited:
Man of Honour
that makes no sence at all, a lower Wattage PSU would not mean better quality components. to be honest a higher wattage unit should have better components to get it higher.

That's not what Phil was saying. When he said the lower wattage one will have better quality components he meant because of the two you originally listed the 850w is Titanium rated while the 1000w is Gold rated. Theoretically the Titanium rated one should indeed have better quality components as Titanium is the best rating you can get and will need to be extremely good to achieve that rating.

Why are you hung up on Seasonic? Yes, they make some very good psu's but so do many other manufacturers. The recently redesigned and relaunched Corsair RM series psu's are very good and are at unbeatable prices from many retailers at the moment. The RM 850w is £95 on here and may be cheaper if you shop around. A quality, gold rated, fully modular psu with a 10 year warranty for less than £100 is a bargain.

Associate
OP
I have always bought seasonic since an antec psu decided to blow my motherboard years ago instead of turning itself of. Never had another brand since seasonic.

I am not to clued up on other psu manufactures as I have always been toled seasonic are one of the top psu's out there.

I am sure I read that some corsair psu where not that good ? Or it depended on what was inside them as I say I am not to clued up on what manufacture use what type of manufacture inside there psus.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
1000W is total overkill for a non HEDT single gpu system. I run a fully water cooled Ryzen threadripper with a vega 56, GTX780, intel 10Gb Ethernet card, rme pro audio interface card, 3 ssds, 3 enterprise hard disks and a blu ray writer all off a seasonic prime platinum 750W supply. I don’t deny that at full chat it’s got to be close to using every available watt but those circumstances are extremely rare and usually it’s plodding along using 1-200W.

Main reason I bought seasonic is because I’d rather buy from the manufacturer as you know they can’t have changed oem’s mid production.

Man of Honour
I have always bought seasonic since an antec psu decided to blow my motherboard years ago instead of turning itself of. Never had another brand since seasonic.

I am not to clued up on other psu manufactures as I have always been toled seasonic are one of the top psu's out there.

I am sure I read that some corsair psu where not that good ? Or it depended on what was inside them as I say I am not to clued up on what manufacture use what type of manufacture inside there psus.

Corsair has been gradually redesigning and relaunching their psu line up to bring them up to a very good standard. The once awful CX series are now fairly good and worth a look for a budget build although there are cheaper alternatives. The worst of the remaining line up are the awful Corsair VS series so they are to be avoided. The new Corsair RM series are very good PSU's. It's built by CWT (one of the worlds biggest manufacturer of psu's) to Corsairs specifications. It's fully modular with quality all black cables, is gold rated for efficiency and has all of it's 750w available on a single 12v rail. You can read a review of it here.

I am known on here to be very insistant on picking a quality psu so if it wasn't any good then I wouldn't have recommended it. I will only ever recommend components that I would be 100% happy to use myself and as the psu is argueably the single most important component in a pc it has to be good for me to recommend it.

Ironically that Antec psu that blew up on you (can happen with any brand) may well have been a Seasonic built unit as Antec uses them as one of their oem's. Brand loyalty based on a single rogue psu failing is not sensible as it rules out many excellent alternatives. In fact brand loyalty, no matter what it's for makes very little sense these days.

Back
Top Bottom