Quick release fittings?

Associate
I'm thinking of maybe getting some of these to make swapping out components a little easier.

Never used them before, haven't seen many that do.
Is there a reason for that, any major disadvantage (other than cost!) to be aware of?

Edit: More restriction seems to be a thing. . . . but not very much as long as the fitting is decent.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi

My friend is using quick release fittings. Seems like great thing, as it does quickly disconnect from the loop without a need to drain it. I would get them myself, but personally I am afraid of them not work so well and suddenly leak.

Soldato
They can be very useful and there's little to no chance of them just suddenly failing.

They do restrict a little, but not enough to make any real difference IMO. Depends on your loop and how restrictive it is in other areas really.

Basically, if you have a use for them, then get some :)

Soldato
Used two pairs of koolance LV4 (2nd gen QC before the 'no spill' ones)
Great, but pricey and quite long - the LV4 are as restrictive as a normal barb!
LV3 is the sweet spot and come in no spill versions

Linky

looks like Koolance are on a 4th gen QC now that doesn't even need a 1/4 twist to unlock :)

Last edited:
Soldato
The QD3 variety spill only a single drop of coolant when you disconnect them. The do introduce a bit of air when you reconnect but having to bleed that out is likely much less onerous than having to drain, fill and then bleed!
The major argument against them is cost but they are also fairly large (compared to a normal compression fitting) so if you've got a tight space to work in you may not have room.
They do versions of the QD3 with a compression fitting on the end, a barb or a G1/4 thread in either male or female for either bulkheading or connecting directly to a block. It does take a bit of force (against the springs that seal them) to plug two together so you may want to be careful if directly connecting to a block.

Back
Top Bottom