Quick tax question please!

Soldato
Hi,

I'm picking up a car on monday, which is untaxed. I have the tax renewal form, and will be taking my insurance certificate and MOT certificate along.

However, the previous owner's name and address are on the renewal form. Is that a problem? I will also have the new owner's slip :)

Thanks!

Soldato
Trying to remember back to when I taxed the 214...

I think I took the new owner slip and they wouldn't let me tax it.

Still, I drove it for 2 weeks before I recieved my insurance documents. And I've been driving the 220 to work and back for 10 days with an expired tax disc and haven't been pulled over.

/Before anyone feels like commenting on the above...

Don't worry I get paid tomorrow and was going to tax it as soon as I could afford it.

Soldato
OP
agw_01 said:
Cool, there you go then Ben :)

edit... Oh I remember, it was because I hadn't had my insurance docs through.

ah, good good. I'm arranging the insurance tomorrow so i can get the documents through asap, hopefully by the end of the week :)

Soldato
did mine today and had the whole v5 for the previous owner as hadn't sent it off yet, they (post office) told me to sign it and they would send it off for me.

Saved me a stamp

Seem to recall them doing this on one of my other cars :)

Soldato
agw_01 said:
Trying to remember back to when I taxed the 214...

I think I took the new owner slip and they wouldn't let me tax it.

Still, I drove it for 2 weeks before I recieved my insurance documents. And I've been driving the 220 to work and back for 10 days with an expired tax disc and haven't been pulled over.

/Before anyone feels like commenting on the above...

Don't worry I get paid tomorrow and was going to tax it as soon as I could afford it.

I thought it was all automatic fines now? So you don't really want to be testing the limits.

Getting pulled over is just another risk.

Still your getting it done, so no problem.

Soldato
I think they give you 14 days after the tax has ran out to do it.

I've not recieved anything so far.

I have all my docs in the car with me, so if I did get pulled over, I'd simply hand them to the officer and say I was getting it taxed today. If I'd have been honest and said I had full intentions of taxing the car and was going to do so as soon I got paid, they'd not have believed me.

Soldato
MonkeyMan said:
I thought it was all automatic fines now? So you don't really want to be testing the limits.

Getting pulled over is just another risk.

Still your getting it done, so no problem.

Non point endorsable offence and only goes to line the pockets of the government so although I do it within the month I do make them wait on a new car.

On an existing car they do have all your details so can fine your but easily and I pay when the reminder comes through.

Back
Top Bottom