Quiet PSU for an old PC

Associate
I have an old PC that is used for a media center. It doesn't need a lot of power but it does need to be quiet. It currently has a Corsair 450W Builder Series PSU that's started to get really noisy. I'd like to replace it and the obvious choice wouild be a CX500 which is actually cheaper than the 450 at about £47, but I am not sure about Corsair since this will be the fourth PSU I have thrown out in recent years for noise reasons. There seem to be so so many alternatives at the moment I thought I would ask you guys for some ideas. :D There seem to be some nice BeQuiet's and EVGA's around.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't touch any of the low end Corsairs. If you want quiet then go for a psu that has a quiet fan or hybrid fan mode where the fan doesn't run until the unit hits a certain load or temp.

If you don't mind fixed cables the Bitfenix Formula series 450w would be a good buy. It's gold rated, has a very quiet fan, is compact at only 140mm long and has a 5 year warranty.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

A good semi-modular choice would be the Antec Earthwatts 550w. This is another gold rated compact 140mm long unit. The hardwired cables are the ones you would be using anyway (24 pin, 4+4 pin, pci-e and I believe a chain of sata cables but can't be sure from the picture). The removeable cables are another couple of sata chains and another pci-e lead. It has a 7 year warranty. The 650w version is the better buy though as it's only £6 extra.

If you want fully modular then the Seasonic Focus Plus 550w is a excellent unit. Another gold rated compact 140mm long unit but with a excellent 10 year warranty. It also has selectable hybrid fan mode and all cables are modular.

Soldato
The Corsair CX series (Grey label) are actually pretty decent units :) Not sure how quiet they are though as I haven't owned one. I built my parents a pc for their lounge with a SuperFlower Golden Green 350W in it and that is quiet. A media centre isn't going to put any strain on a psu so you won't need a lot of wattage. A 350W would easily do.

Soldato
One of the main features I've looked for in a PSU for a long time is how quiet it is. I've never had a problem with noise when it comes to buying the latest Seasonics at time of purchase. Having said that, my most recent purchases have been a EVGA G2 & Superflower Golden Green, they've been pretty quiet too.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the suggestions.
Not sure which yet, but I will buy one of your suggestions. I am tired of Corsair failing, it really is about time I tried something else.

Soldato
bequiet- half the audio of poor or high quality Units - what adds the price on to their PSU , fans are about £20 retail

that or fanless like seasonic above but makesure you have POSITIVE pressure in the case - Negative in theory is better but you'd be cleaning that PSU filter a lot as theres no resistance there without a fan

Soldato
You don't need to go fanless on these higher end gold rated PSU. The reason being the hybrid fans only spin at higher load, and when they do spin they tend not to spin much. My HTPC in front room was using a Seasonic G550 and that PSU fan never activated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom