Quiet Quad-Core Build

Associate
I started a thread about getting a new build the other day but I've now done more research / digging and think I've refined what I'm after somewhat!

So, my budget is between £500 and £700 (cheaper = better).

What I am after:
  • Quad core (a must for my development work)
  • Fair graphics card (TF2 at 1650x1080 is as taxing as it gets) - but not ATI
  • Support for dual monitors
  • Something _quiet_
  • Parts that are happily compatible with Ubuntu and Windows 7
  • 500gb or less storage

I have done several builds in the past and am happy replacing the fan on the graphics card if that's still a standard job in quiet builds.

I already have: case, keyboard, mouse, monitors, speakers, DVD writer and a wireless card

Any suggestions? :)

Permabanned
wont let me onto shop site atm, but Id recomend something around a i5 750 CPU, gigabyte UD2 mobo, NVidia 260 gfx
Edit: In now, done this, comes to top end of budget, mainly because Ive included premium case to match your request for quietness as best as possible

quieti5.jpg

re-edit: you may also want to replace the retail cooler for improved acoustics, but atm info on 1156 coolers is scarce, I suspect theyll just release new backplates to convert most the existing coolers over, but not many have done so yet, afaik

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've got a pretty nice Akasa case that is really quiet so I'll probably keep that and save £113 :D

Am thinking of spending the saved money on going to 8gb (4x2gb sticks). Is the stock fan that comes with the Intel CPU quiet? My last two builds needed ~£40 spent on a different CPU fan

Permabanned
The one with the M is MicroATX, so small form factor
Do you really need 8 gig of RAM, most people dont, re the CPU, I think for stock speeds the retail cooler is fine, but if you OC the additional load causes it to make a bit of a racket, as I say Im sure theyll do brackets for old coolers, so if youve got your old one you should be able to use that when the bracket gets released, just use the retail in the meantime

Associate
OP
The one with the M is MicroATX, so small form factor
Do you really need 8 gig of RAM, most people dont, re the CPU, I think for stock speeds the retail cooler is fine, but if you OC the additional load causes it to make a bit of a racket, as I say Im sure theyll do brackets for old coolers, so if youve got your old one you should be able to use that when the bracket gets released, just use the retail in the meantime

I'll probably not OC initially but may do in the future... guess I can try out the stock fan and replace if needed :)

Quite a few of the applications I use are memory hungry. Again, I could go for 4gb and see what it feels like and what the memory consumption is like.

Is going micro ATX a good idea? Or would I be better going for normal ATX? My case takes either if I remember correctly - and is still sold! http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-005-AK&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=507 :D

Just noticed that the gfx card has only one DVI output (and one VGA). Had a look around and can't find any that have two DVI and are still quiet... any ideas? (can survive with VGA+DVI but would rather two DVI)

Associate
OP
Ubuntu and Windows 7... Faffing about with Wine and getting games/Office running on Ubuntu just isn't worth the hassle when dual-booting is easy :)

Soldato
Top end of your budget!
PLus you should get free postage since youve been here 3 years and over 100 posts so it should be £697

As you mentioned you'll be using the PC for development work ive chosen the i7 over the i5, plus 1366 gives you the chance to upgrade to i9 and 6cores down the line.

2lm5uft.jpg

Edit: the vipers out of stock atm!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
PLus you should get free postage since youve been here 3 years and over 100 posts so it should be £697
Hadn't realised this, thanks!

As you mentioned you'll be using the PC for development work ive chosen the i7 over the i5, plus 1366 gives you the chance to upgrade to i9 and 6cores down the line.

Realistically, I'm unlikely to upgrade the CPU for another 2-3 years (how long it normally takes me to get around to it). Will we still have Intel chucking out 1366 chips or will I be forced to get a new mobo anyway? :)

Also, what makes the i7 more suitable for development over the i5?

Soldato
Well in 2-3 years time youll prob be able to pick upa i7 975ED cheap if you wanted to upgrade or drop in a 6 core I7 processor

i5 750 4 cores 4 threads
i7 920 4 cores 8 threads

i7's 1366's more suited to number crunching, video encoding and general heavy work

Edit: added 1366 in bold for derranged persons benefit below!

Last edited:
Permabanned
but the 1156 platform will allow you to drop in better cpu's down the line too, or even now, you could go for the i7 860, which is on the 1156 platform

Soldato
If i was you, i would go with the i5 route, and get a gtx 260 and not a gtx 275, all you got to do is overclock the gtx 260 and it will become faster than gtx 275, pushing towards gtx 280 lines. I know you don't want ati but there 4890 is probs the best card you can get for the price right now

Soldato
860's more expensive plus it utilises 1156 which allows for dual channel ddr3 rather than tri-channel ddr3 on the 1366.Tri channel has greater memory bandwidth.

Also 920 clocks like a mother and the 860 looks like itll match the 920.. but its more expensive!

Anyway this is my preference for the useage hes talking about

For the OP about free postage
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sh...&posted=1&utm_source=forums&utm_medium=banner

Soldato
what? the 750 beats both the 920 and 950, do your research

What ARE you talking about?

750 may beat the 920 at stock for gaming but not the 950 and besides if you read the Original Post its not to be used for gaming but for development work where the i7 1366's will be of MORE benefit for his need

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom