1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiet (silent?!) air CPU cooler for Ryzen

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by tonyyeb, 19 Aug 2019.

1. tonyyeb

Mobster

Hi all

Got a Ryzen 5 3400G and using the stock cooler (no overclocking) and it absolutely drones on even at low load! Can someone please recommend an air cooler that is very quiet (possibly silent at low loads)?

Thanks

2. HeX

Capodecina

Last edited: 19 Aug 2019
  3. tonyyeb

Mobster

Excellent, many thanks for those!

4. tonyyeb

Mobster

Silly noob question but I've seen install videos that show fitting a bracket to the back of the motherboard but I screwed the stock cooler straight on without adding anything? I don't want to pull my motherboard completely out, would I be able to screw say the Cooler Master into whatever I have my stock cooler screwed into? Thanks!

5. HeX

Capodecina

I would imagine you'll need to use the CM back plate that comes with the cooler. Does your case not have a cutout behind the mobo to allow access to the CPU backplate?

6. doyll

Sgarrista

Are your temps high just because you OC'ed with stock cooler or is the air temp inside of case going into cooler much warmer than room air? This is a common problem when users do not setup case airflow properly. If you are interested, below link is to basic guide to how to optimize case airflow.
    https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Would help if we know what case and mobo you are using. While 212 is an okay cooler, there are better ones at similar prices. .. like Alpenfohn Brocken
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpe...ion-dual-fan-cpu-cooler-140-mm-hs-05f-al.html

7. tonyyeb

Mobster

Just checked and yes it does, thanks for that! Does the old plate just pull off?

No as stated in my OP no overclocking and I have no plans for overclocking either. This is my work PC mainly and I don't want to listen to the fan drone on for 8 hours per day!

Case is AvP X6 Mid Tower Gaming Case and motherboard is a MSI B450 GAMING PLUS. Not sure you'd call 32 deg C idle as high either?

8. doyll

Sgarrista

The bigger the cooler the slower it's fan and case fams need to run so the quieter it is.

With my 6700 rendering graphic at about 80% load is so quiet I can't hear it a meter away.

9. tonyyeb

Mobster

Ok so the extra 20mm is what makes the difference here?

10. EsaT

Capodecina

That's exactly the wrong choise for return on money when it comes with also acoustically mediocre fan. (powered by inbalanced internal combustion engine as motor maknig it vibrating roller)
    Scythe Mugen 5 is class better for cheaper price.
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=mugen+5

That depends on particular cooler.
    Some use their own backplates.
    Scythe's mounting uses default backplate of AM4 boards.
    ftp://ftp.scythe-eu.com/Manuals/CPU-Cooler/Mugen-5-Rev_B.pdf

11. doyll

Sgarrista

It's a combination it being a well constructed cooler with more fin surface area and more heatpipes. Not so much fan size, but yes, 140mm fans can move more air at lower speed than similar 120mm fans, so are usually quieter .. but not always. Tower coolers do a better job of moving heated air back and out rear exhaust and thus keeping from mixing and warming up the air coming into cooler .. and ever degree cooler the air into cooler becomes same degrees cooler CPU will be at same airflow rate/fan speed.

12. tonyyeb

Mobster

13. an0nym0us

Wise Guy

14. doyll

Sgarrista

Have you installed it to see if case will close? Often case companies say CPU clearance is a few mm less than it actually is. Could just set cooler on CPU and try closing case. It just might fit .. assuming you have it.

15. tonyyeb

Mobster

I ordered the AM4 mount with it.

Not yet but I'm very sceptical that it will fit. Just offering it up to the front of the case it is almost as wide.

16. tonyyeb

Mobster

Fitted and it is very quiet and very efficient, 29deg C idle, 50deg C load vs 70deg C for the stock cooler. However it is about 3mm too tall to fir the case side. Doh.

17. an0nym0us

Wise Guy

That's annoying.

If you replace the original fans with square 120mm fans, would it manage to fit?

18. soulhunter123

Gangster

Check out Frostytech. They have charts including one for silent coolers. Their testing is incredibly in-depth.

19. tonyyeb

Mobster

Possibly. I'm going to have jiggle about with the fans to see if they can be moved lower on the heatsink.

20. an0nym0us

Wise Guy

That's a good idea. Maybe it's possible to just clip the fans slightly lower down on the heatsink.