1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quietest PSU for 1950x and Vega64 system?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by GeX, Apr 8, 2018.

1. GeX

Soldato

Hiya. I'm building a new system and am looking for suggestions on a PSU for it.

I'm keen for the system to be as neat and quiet as possible. I'll be reusing my Vega64 and it will have a 1950x CPU. I hoard most of my data on my NAS, so this won't be full of spinning rust drives - likely ~1TiB of NVMe SSD.

Does it make sense to over-spec on the PSU, meaning it can run under less stress (and thus produce less heat?).

PSUs look to have moved on a lot since I last built a PC (been using laptops for a good few years now) - and some have features where you can monitor load (Corsair Link) - are these useful, or gimmicks?

2. orbitalwalsh

Sgarrista

For unit with active/semi active fan

recommend units with their Silent Wing 3 fans (£20 a pop) as they are prob one of the quietest silent fans on the market with high airflow/static pressure

https://www.bequiet.com/en/psucalculator

seasonic units are damn good but unsure of sound of the units- should be quieter then most . easiest solution for quiet PSU is the case its in :)

3. QlimaxUK

Soldato

everytime I read 1950x I always think of the old x1950 GPU by ATI

4. Kei

Wise Guy

I run my 1920x and vega 56 off a Seasonic prime 750w platinum. Seems to spend about 80% of the time running with the fan off. It is audible when it spins up but not particularly loud. A titanium spec unit around 850w may be able to run passively more often.

5. GeX

Soldato

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  6. Vince

Soldato

Running my 1950x / Vega / 3 other GPU's on a Seasonic Platinum Series 860w it really is a beautifully built piece of kit and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another :)

The seasonic also has that quiet mode button that runs it passive when your not going mental!

7. 4K8KW10

Wise Guy

8. GeX

Soldato

9. Habakkuk

Hitman

The AX860 also has a fan that turns off under 50 degrees/50% load.