Associate
Hi all,

I've enjoyed reading the opinions of many on here and I'd like to test my proposed quiet 'n' powerful 4K gaming rig build out on you. I am intending to ask OcUK for a build quote on this - is there a preferred channel for doing so?

In designing this build, I've focused on

a) quietness - all components at or below 39 dB as far as possible
b) 4k, 60fps achievable on high settings. However, this is mostly future-proofing as MSFS 2020 is likely to be the only game that'll need this much power. I play Minecraft (Bedrock) and older DX11 games at the moment.
c) Future-proofing, even though this is a bit of a misnomer. Hence selecting a PCIe 4.0 capable motherboard.

My current setup is a pretty crappy cobbled together thing from bits with a case that dates back to 2005. Now that I can afford it (and I have a 4K screen) I am willing to pay a little premium for something that lasts a while and is almost inaudible. A good base case and motherboard will allow me to upgrade the other components.

Of course, if I can shave something here and there please let me know your thoughts too. I switched to a 6-core Ryzen 5 v 8-core Ryzen 7 but is there any risk of bottle necking? Sources are mixed.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,721.08 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Thanks!

Associate
The MSI X570 boards tend to have a poor reputation, although I am no expert on the various X570 models so I'm sure someone else can recommend an alternative.

I'd get a larger SSD. That will fill up in no time.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Good spot! I should've mentioned that I'll be bringing a (slow) 500GB SATA SSD to this system. Pretty much the only component salvageable from my existing ancient build.

Thanks also for the MSI Motherboard tip. I'm looking at budget X570 models.

With the above list - saving cash

Gigabyte X570 Gaming X £150-60 odd
Gigabyte 2080ti Gaming OC £1080-150 - windforce version is £1050-70
Crucial > BL2K8G36C16U4B £89 Or viper steel 3600hz for £96

Brings down to £2k

Plane X and MSFS eat VRAM

Last edited:
Soldato
MSI went from B450 hero to zero in X570.
Other B450 boards than MSIs have bare minimum or straight scam CPU VRM. (power circuity)
Then MSI copypasted same B450 VRM to half their X570 range making them bad or crap for the price.
Gigabyte X570 Gaming X would be least bad of cheap X570 boards.

Though for lower than next-gen console CPU 3600 there's little sense in such expensive board.
Future games are all multithreaded and 3600 would be way more likely bottleneck than PCIe v3 for graphics card.

And in graphics cards it's historically bad time to buy expensive with no future proofing, because of bad and super bad performance per price.
Especially next Xbox makes current graphics card look bad.
In raw power its GPU is equal to 2080 Super and pretty sure to surpass it in actual performance squeezed out from it.
Especially with raytracing, which makes performance of RTX cards suffer major hit all the way to 30% and even 50% in worst case.
Time to future proof would be when next-gen cards are out later this year.
Now you're just paying lot for empty air and little performance for it.

Flight simulator with high graphics would be one of the likeliest games to hog all kinds of RAM.
Though at least memory is easy to expand.

No sense in super expensive cooler for very frugal literal starting level CPU.
Even Shadow Rock 3 is overkill.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-quiet-shadow-rock-3-high-performance-cpu-cooler-hs-01h-bq.html

Most Samsung NVMe drives are pretty much brand scam level overpriced.
You can get doubled capacity drives for less!
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds500g2b0c-hd-56k-wd.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tosh...-3.0-x4-nvme-solid-state-drive-hd-04m-ts.html

There's no need for 750W PSU for low level CPU, but even that can be had for £30 less than Corsair.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-amp-750w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-09r-pt.html

Associate
I've had no problems with my MSI X570 A Pro. My partner has one also, solid, stable, great boards. No issues with power that I can tell.

They are, IMHO, better designed than other boards. Most other brands put the chipset fan nearer the graphics card so if you have a card with a large heatsink (such as my 2080Ti) then you might find that the chipset pulls all its air through the GFX card cooler and cooks itself when you're gaming. This is certainly the problem with the ASRock board I bought first. ASUS appear to put their fans in the same location. Gigabyte were looking a little better, but only MSI had their intake fan positioned to be completely clear of the GFX card.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the feedback! I think this has helped me decide where to focus investment whilst keeping the overall price round the same.

The MSFS 2020 system requirements being published have helped too. This is the revised spec, considering again that keeping things quiet is important.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,700.12 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Key changes:

* Palit 2080S card - seems second only to the MSI for noise at load but is about £110 cheaper at the moment. Only a 2 year warranty tho :o
* Upped the processor (stuck with smaller amount of RAM for the moment as it's an easy upgrade)
* Picked the Toshiba drive for a great price and good storage from the start (will be backed by slower SATA drives I already have and reasonably straightforward upgrade)
* Picked the Gigabyte motherboard as it has PCIe 4.0 x16 and a USB Type-C header on the board.
* EDIT: picked the faster RAM (as on offer) and
* EDIT: picked the Dark Rock 4 cooler vs the Noctua

Other notes:

* Stuck with the Corsair PSU as it seems to be quieter than the Phanteks at load - and I won't be maxing it out.
* Stuck with 16GB RAM for the moment as this is trivial to add later vs other components.

Getting a build quote now. Hoping it'll stay under the mental barrier of £1,800....

Last edited:
Soldato
Palit will be loud. Reason being , it a dual fan solution and RTX 2080S runs hotter then 2070S.

MSI would be quieter if that's the triple fan version

If you want silent. Gigabyte do Gaming OC 2080 water cooled for same price, but you've got to plum that in yourself . OCUK haven't listed it up in here yet. Kit like 360 Eisbaer and GPU extension with some distilled water and your silent !

Remember, 2070S is close to 2080 non S performance , lacks more surprisingly in 1080p then 2/4k

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I also assumed Palit would be loud but I was surprised to read this review which suggests it's pretty quiet! It's also £110 cheaper than the triple fan MSI which I originally considered.

Remember, 2070S is close to 2080 non S performance , lacks more surprisingly in 1080p then 2/4k

Would you clarify? I'm looking at a 2080 Super here. I saw on another thread a pretty attractive 2070S and did consider it.

Back
Top Bottom