Quitting or changes hobbies

Associate
Just wondering what you all think of when it comes to changing or quitting something that you have done for a long time but either have fallen out of favour of or your circumstances no longer allow?

I am coming back over to PC Gaming after a big chunk of time away. For the past 25 years I've been RC Racing, whilst good fun and highly competitive. I find the time commitment and cost difficult with a little family.

I am hoping that coming back over to gaming will give me more flexibility to have gaming fun around my family duties, bring on iRacing :D

Whilst I know its the right decision its a shame on having walking away from something that I have done for so long is hard. However, I am looking forward to trying some different things out.

Anyone else been there?

Caporegime
25 years is some serious commitment. Apart from scooters as a kid I haven't had a hobby for more than a week, as evidenced by the mountain of barely used / completely unused goodies I have hidden in every nook and cranny in my house.

Soldato
Gave up competive clay pigeon shooting having been a keen shooter for 20 plus years and represented both Hertfordshire and Greater London. The amount of time and money required to progress above A class in the trap disciplines wasn’t compatible with raising a family.

Wasn’t overly upset about it as the politics of the sport had been sucking the fun out of the national events for me for a while.

Wise Guy
Soldato
Put it all up in the attic, completely forget about it, and then force your grandkids to take it in 40 years time when they randomly mention something about RC, after digging through the attic for 5 hours.

Soldato
I never completely give up hobbies, but I do tend to have one hobby that is almost all consuming and the rest get side lined. That used to be Guitar, from 1995 to about 2005. Then in 2009, it became RC helicopters, which I'm still obsessed by. I still have all my guitar stuff, and I still play, although only a couple of times a year.

Soldato
If you have all the gear you can still use it every now and then, just avoid the competitive time consuming side.

PC gaming is probably a bad choice for saving money :p

Associate
Started scuba diving in 1997 and immediately fell in love with it. However, weekends away each month didn't fit with the family once my son was born in 2008, so I had to give it up and sell the kit. Still miss the experience over a weekend - prepping the kit, planning the dive (s), looking at the history of the wreck we'd be going to, spending a weekend out on a boat in all weathers.

Soldato
At 25 years I dont think you are giving up buddy. You have done and dusted it, now get on with the next one before you get too old :)

I used to play football at a pretty decent level and had to give it up soon after my son was born as it kept me away all weekend pretty much. It was hard at first especially as it's a team sport but I got over it eventually

Soldato
I naturally swapped hobbies from tai chi and photography to yoga and salsa a few years ago. It was a fairly organic transition, based on wanting to be more sociable. I still enjoy photography sometimes though.

Associate
I gave up football after 20 years. I was obsessed to the point of it ruling my life. I haven't played or watched a minute of it in about 3 years now and I couldn't feel better about it.

Soldato
I have not really had a hobby at anytime in my life, I have had interests which have held me briefly but not for very long.
I did love upgrading my pc's usually unnecessarily and building a new was always fun, the researching componends for weeks, the opening of the boxes, the build the solving of the inevitable problems and then I developed major sleep deprivation issues following a major illness and discovered that my concentration was shot to hell, could no longer read a book for any length of time, watch a film and i lost interest in upgrading/building pc's.
I also discovered that I have real difficulty learning new things, got into my local wildlife and wanted to photograph it and bought a DSLR camera an accessories but found I just could not learn and retain the basics of the settings which is quite horrendous when I have always been pretty hooded learning new stuff. Still take photos but with a bridge camera which us not quite the same.

Caporegime
Nah even if I had to start a family, I wouldn't quit biking. It's my escape and passion. Id find time, albiet family would come first but I wouldn't stop something I love for something else I love. I'd just find a good comprimise.

Caporegime
For the past 25 years I've been RC Racing, whilst good fun and highly competitive. I find the time commitment and cost difficult with a little family.

Anyone else been there?

Been EXACTLY there. Was seriously racing 1/12th LMP for years, went to the Euros at the Hudy Arena in 2016, did quite well considering it was my first international event (I was an A final regular in 13.5T at the UK nationals). Then I got married mid 2016, new house, my son came along in 2017 and I've simply not been back racing yet. In the end I wanted a hobby that I could do primarily from home, still not sure what that will be yet, though I do have a project car (2003 MX5) sat on the drive that I do have plans for, so I guess that can take up the time/money that went into RC.

Soldato
For me it's rarely a conscious decision, other commitments mean I rarely get to the gym these days, still game but not at the level I used to, and can sometimes go weeks without a chance to sit down and play something.

I have noticed this though and am trying to make more time in the new year, I've got an allotment I'd really like to get going properly this year and have just got my first brewing kit.

Let's see if it all ends up on ebay :D.

Back
Top Bottom