Quitting smoking

kdd

kdd

Soldato
I have been a smoker for 8 years exactly and had what I hope will be my last ever smoke about an hour ago. Wish me luck please!!!! Anyone else stopping smoking after the public ban etc etc?

Permabanned
Hope you quit, never been a smoker myself, had the odd cig in my lifetime while drunk, you will save loads of money or at least not spend money on coffin nails.

Soldato
Mate of mine has just quit. He said the nicotine gum is brilliant.

Having said that, different things work for different people. Just find something that concentrates your willpower. Try drinking more :p

Associate
patches are great - helps with the craving whilst you work out what to do with your hands... then once you've got that sorted, you can work on the nicotine addiction ;)

kdd

kdd

Soldato
OP
Baldyman said:
Good luck kdd. Will you be trying any patches/inhalers/gum etc, or just will power?

The odd bit of gum but mainly willpower. God help me!
I'm going to do it though, I always feel better if I haven't had a cig for ages and I'm starting to feel the bad effects of smoking in my lungs, when I wke up my chest usually hurts. Going to do a bit of jogging when and if the cravings get really bad.

Soldato
=walls= said:
patches are great - helps with the craving whilst you work out what to do with your hands... then once you've got that sorted, you can work on the nicotine addiction ;)

I did the 24-hour patches. They are great. But you HAVE to make sure your locations for them are bare skin. Not even a little bit of hair. Otherwise they come off. I had shaved patches all over my upper body. Coupled with the sticky stuff not coming off and black stuff remaining, it looked quite funny. I did get addicted to chewing gum (Sugar free of course). And at one point was going through 4-5 packs per day.

You CAN do it. The fact that you want to means you can do it. The cravings pass quite quickly if you find something to do.

Associate
I'm trying to give up, not had a smoke since Sunday night. Using the nicotine gum when the cravings get real bad, but only had about 10 pieces so not that much.

Would still kill for a smoke though, really hope this passes soon as I can deal with the cravings, but just almost feel like somehting is missing :(

Deleted member 329

D

Deleted member 329

i may join you..

i have on cig left.... and i think i am going to try and stop!

its hard tho.. i stop for one day before... i am have little will power.
although if i can stop my self smoking i am sure i will feel more empowered to continue with my heathy life style.

I want to start body for life too... but one step at a time :)

i have some patches, i think the gum would be good for me. is it not REALLY expensive though?

Associate
I'd highly recommend Alan Carr's 'Easy way to stop smoking' book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs...9805222?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184140467&sr=8-1

I was a heavy smoker (more than 20 a day) from the age of 16 till 3 weeks ago. I'm 30 now.

After reading the book and pretty much understanding why I smoke I can tell you that quitting smoking is really easy. No withdrawals whatsoever, no willpower needed. You just stop smoking, but you do it so confidently that you never feel like your depriving yourself for any just cause. You just lose interest in the drug and become a none smoker and get on with your life.

I know some will say books are nonsense and willpower is what is needed. Well the book I recommend will cover all the other optional areas, including patches, gum, cutting down and explain why they are all for peeps trying to quit, as is the willpower method, but you are not trying to quit remember. You are stopping and there is only one way to do that.

I've given my copy to a close friend (and my mam) and they both quit within a few days with no willpower involved. I have a friend using willpower, stressed work colleagues on patches and 1 guy chewing his gum every day. None of them seem like none smokers

Last edited:
Soldato
I know of 2 people who have quit (long term, no sneaky tab while having a pint) through hypnosis. One of them tried unsuccessfully to quit several times before turning to the swinging watch.

Baz

Baz

Soldato
Both me and the wife are quitting Friday, she is on the new fancy tablets, which she started last week, and seem to be working, she is hardly having any smokes and they are making her feel sick when she does have one... We still have some patches left from our 10 flight last month, so I will be using them along with the half price ones from Boots... Did it once before on patches, and seemed really easy, hope I last more than 9 months this time... :)

Good luck everyone!

Permabanned
Boney where are you, fresh meat for the grinder here :)

Good luck to all of you on what is the most sensible decision you've made in a long time.

Two years, six months, one week, two days, 23 hours, 25 minutes and 15 seconds. 18419 cigarettes not smoked, saving £4,448.11. Life saved: 9 weeks, 22 hours, 55 minutes. (Based on £4.85 a packet)

My quit stats above. My advice - avoid the pub and treat yourself to things you wanted but did not need that you'd not have bought otherwise to keep the motivation going.
Allen Carrs book is a very good £8 spent.

Go for it.

Baz

Baz

Soldato
gjrc said:
i am about to go on a drug called champix...

check it out!

That is what the missus is on, working well so far....

DAMNIT, just remembered I have 20 or so Monticristo's left...

Oh well, just have to save them for special occasions :)

Associate
gjrc said:
i am about to go on a drug called champix...

check it out!

Thinking of trying this myself. I have tried numerous times just cold turkey and with variious nrt products and have read allen carr many times. Heard good things about the drug from people who used it in the states where it has been available for a while.

Soldato
kdd said:
I have been a smoker for 8 years exactly and had what I hope will be my last ever smoke about an hour ago. Wish me luck please!!!! Anyone else stopping smoking after the public ban etc etc?

Good luck, I smoked for 16 years and gave up over 2 years ago now. It gets easier so just stick with it!

Soldato
Wardie said:
I'm sure I read once that the physical addiction actually only lasts a couple of days, and the rest is mental?

Correct, it takes about 3 days for all the nicotine to leave your body then after that it's all psychological.

Soldato
Good luck on quitting! :)

I think I'm going to give up - have smoked for 7 years now and have meant to give up for the past couple of years. Managed 7 week a few years back just going cold turkey, and it was horrible - my concentration was just shot for hours at a time :(

Have been putting it off for the last year as had exams every 8 weeks so good excuse to myself not to try. Have read the Alan Carr book and wasn't much of a help tbh. I smoke about 5 rollies a day and I'll probably try patches again (the smallest dose 5mg/16hrs ones I expect) - think going cold turkey again wouldn't be much fun - find it difficult enough going through the day without a smoke, and though it'll take longer I need to be able to concentrate during the day...

Any massive difference between the 16hr and 24hr patches?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom