Quooker/Hot Tap Energy Usage

Soldato
weak comparison. doubt the future is everyone have lazy taps, then again with the average size in this country...
They are getting cheaper and becoming much more common.
Yes there are times when boiling a kettle may be quicker.. Ie at xmas when we have 25+ for dinner. But in the main its another must have piece of kitchen equipment. It's connected to a smart switch, So at midnight it goes off and comes back on at 8am. Same with the recently added cooler too.

Caporegime
Yes there are times when boiling a kettle may be quicker.. Ie at xmas when we have 25+ for dinner. But in the main its another must have piece of kitchen equipment. It's connected to a smart switch, So at midnight it goes off and comes back on at 8am. Same with the recently added cooler too.
is the water that comes out safe to use for baby fomrula? or too hot and microwave would be easier? it's like the only scenario where I could possibly see the convenience really winning out, but then if you need to cool the water down anyway it wouldn't really be.

but then again the smart switch would have turned it off in the night anyway

Soldato
is the water that comes out safe to use for baby fomrula? or too hot and microwave would be easier? it's like the only scenario where I could possibly see the convenience really winning out, but then if you need to cool the water down anyway it wouldn't really be.

but then again the smart switch would have turned it off in the night anyway
It'll be too hot.. But then you could put Chilled filtered water in the bottle first then add the hot water.
Dont forget you can still nucleate water in a microwave so they arent fool proof either

Soldato
Hey,

My wife is set on getting a Quooker hot tap, the only info I can find from them lists it at 511kwh/year. The kettle seems roughly 0.09kwh per boil, so say 1kwh/day, which makes the kettle sound a lot cheaper than quooker per year (water usage aside).

Sure I am missing something though given all the efficiency claims! Does anyone that owns one have some real world usage figures, maybe that 511 is maximum usage or something but it seems steep, and probably pushing £250/year at October's rates! :(

Thanks!
As I posted above i remembered mine is connected to smart plug.
I cant remember when I fitted that but up until 11pm last night it had used 560.5 KWh Upto now a total of 561.7. So 1.2 Kwh in about 24 hours. Which doesn't sound a lot. But weve only had a few brews today...

I cant work out how to reset it though

Caporegime
Sounds expensive.
With new prices if it's a KW a day it'll be over 150 a year?
If it's 500KW that would be about 250 a year? Feels a lot.

Soldato
smart plug is a good idea .. personally need a similar solution for the pre-heat mechanism on the combi boiler, which regularly e-heats buffer tank.

after earlier discussion about lost oxygen/gases in hot water tank tap tanks, changing the tea taste -
V even if the water in tank is below boiling point the heat is pushing oxygen out of the pre-heated water,

dissolvedoxygen_fresh-salt.jpg

Soldato
Sounds expensive.
With new prices if it's a KW a day it'll be over 150 a year?
If it's 500KW that would be about 250 a year? Feels a lot.

About 1 KWH per day was my guess as well, give or take.

If you don't have it though you still boil a kettle multiple times per day if you make lots of tea though, which I do.

Caporegime
About 1 KWH per day was my guess as well, give or take.

If you don't have it though you still boil a kettle multiple times per day if you make lots of tea though, which I do.

I think I use my kettle 5/6 times a day.

But probably only on for 2 minutes.
3kw*6*2/60

0.6 KW

So the tap I guess is 2x expensive to run as I don't drink that much tea at weekends

So although not bank breaking got to drink a lot of tea or use a lot of boiling water to make it eco.

But I totally understand this is like robotic trvs. It's not really for money saving.

Soldato
That doesn’t cover water in a pressure vessel, there is nowhere for the oxygen to go so it stays in the water.
they have a combination valve on the inlet supply which evacuates into the drain - as I'd suggested in earlier post
e: so it's not sealed

Soldato
they have a combination valve on the inlet supply which evacuates into the drain - as I'd suggested in earlier post
e: so it's not sealed
As I explained it’s a pressure release to release excess water as it expands when heated if it goes above the threshold, it’s essentially sealed.

The water is never open to the air and it’s always under pressure so the oxygen can’t escape from the water.

If it does every let a bit of water out, we are talking about a few drips, the tank is still under mains pressure.

Soldato
Got a Franke Minerva boiling water tap coming as part of our new kitchen install, opted for this over a Quoker due to what appears to be more user friendly and intuitive interface.

Back
Top Bottom