Quote for electric work

Soldato
OP
The cable sizes look to be 6mm and 2.5mm.

The 6mm will typically come from the cooker switch at bench level to the outlet (the part you are trying to change)

You need to work out where the 2.5mm is going as it's not a usual part of the cooker circuit.

It may be the case that it's not needed and all you need to actually connect is the 6mm (which should fit the socket outlet you have).

Interesting. If I don't need it, can I just tape it up and ignore it? Or should I remove it? There is a plug socket to the left of the 'cooker cavity' which I suppose it could belong to and hopefully should be easy to figure out (I'll just unscrew the switch, and tug the wires and see if it moves I suppose). I would then just replace that socket with a blanking plate.

I'm going to buy a different brand of switch which looks a bit more accessible and try that and if that doesn't work then I'll try the above. Again, thanks for your help! Once I get this all sorted, I'll paypal you and Adam a beer!

Soldato
That is likely what it is feeding, an addition at some point and the cooker outlet was the closest power source (not the correct way of doing it) I'd of expected it to of been picked up on the EICR.

But yeah if you do find it is feeding a single socket and you can do without that socket the 2.5mm can be cut out/taped up.

I don't mind giving advice, I find people will have a go with or without it!

If stepping in with a warning or advice helps to avoid an accident then that's a good thing.

Somethings do need to be left to the professionals though.

Caporegime
You can offset these costs again tax if it’s a BTL so the actual cost to you is lower. Plus if anything goes wrong you have cover. You should have proper electrics done by professionals in BTL really. Especially that cooker.

Sockets and switches easy enough.

Associate
I am a little late to the party but we had 2 consumer units swapped for about total around £525 (including the vat) if I remember right and he swapped all of our light switches and sockets for another £30 (we bought the materials for this). Glad he did as he found some fire hazards with the wiring in few of the sockets from when the previous owner had done some electrics himself. He fixed those with no extra cost to us after he checked we were ok with removal of tiles in the kitchen to get to the wires and checked everything worked as it should after. Honestly I would rather pay someone who knows what they are doing to get the job done properly when it comes to electrics. But get better quotes.

Back
Top Bottom