R5 5600X build for £800?

Associate
Hey, haven't upgraded my pc for a good 10 years now, current specs: i7 960, GTX 580 (1.5gb), 6GB RAM, x2 1TB HDD's don't even have an SSD lol, and a super old Antec 900 case.

Think it's time to build something new completely from scratch to cope with the latest games to hopefully last me another 5+ years like this current PC did.
The only game I'm playing atm is WoW which requires a lot of single core performance afaik, and from what I've seen the 5600x outperforms the 3600 by a nice margin single core especially in 1080p. I will likely be playing other new games once I've upgraded, and probably new releases in the future so it isn't just for WoW. I'm still gaming in 1080p, and to be honest I have no interest in playing at a higher res and have been super happy with my current monitor since I bought it (XL2420T, 120Hz version) unless this one goes faulty I think I'll be sticking with 1080 120 for now.

Would be greatly appreciated if someone could price up a build around £800, ideally with a R5 5600X as the results look phenomenal and I'm looking to make this PC last without having to upgrade for a long time, but I was wondering if that is even realistic considering the £800 budget, if it isn't realistic and you think a 3600 would be a better choice let me know. Would also like the build to have a 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM, and maybe even a 1TB HDD for storage but I can probably use my old 1TB HDD's for that to save some money, but kinda worried they may die at some point considering the age. Ideally would like a case that offers somewhat decent cable management that comes with a rear/front fan. Stock cooler will do I guess unless you guys suggest otherwise.

Don't really want to spend more than £800 but if you think an extra £100 or so is going to add some extra time to the machine then I'll consider it. Thanks a lot guys.

Edit: Don't need Windows. And I currently use a 300mbps pci-e card for wireless so mobo would have to have a slot for it, or built in wireless.

Last edited:
Associate
Okay so I've gone through what you're looking for and I tried my best to fit 5600X but it's just not feasible without hitting £1,000

This is what I cooked up;

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: Gigabyte B550M DS3H
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 3200Mhz
SSD: WD Blue 1TB M.2
GPU: 1660 Super 6GB VENTUS
Case: Phanteks Exlipse P300A
PSU: Corsair RM750 (80+ Gold)

This would roughly cost around £900

The motherboard is a M-ATX board so it's a smaller form factor, has enough slots to meet your needs & if you choose to upgrade to 5600X or higher later down the road that's a possibility for you.
If you need anymore information let me know, I'll try my best to help you out.

Associate
OP
Okay so I've gone through what you're looking for and I tried my best to fit 5600X but it's just not feasible without hitting £1,000

This is what I cooked up;

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: Gigabyte B550M DS3H
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 3200Mhz
SSD: WD Blue 1TB M.2
GPU: 1660 Super 6GB VENTUS
Case: Phanteks Exlipse P300A
PSU: Corsair RM750 (80+ Gold)

This would roughly cost around £900

The motherboard is a M-ATX board so it's a smaller form factor, has enough slots to meet your needs & if you choose to upgrade to 5600X or higher later down the road that's a possibility for you.
If you need anymore information let me know, I'll try my best to help you out.

Thanks for putting that together man, if I was to decide to go ahead and spend more and still go with the 5600x, would you keep everything else in that quote the same? And how do the similarly priced AMD GPU's compare to the 1660? Also, is the 750 gold necessary?

Last edited:
Associate
if I was to decide to go ahead and spend more and still go with the 5600x, would you keep everything else in that quote the same?
Personally if I was on the same budget constraints as yourself, yes just remember the difference between 3600 & 5600x is roughly £100-120.

how do the similarly priced AMD GPU's compare to the 1660
I have no personal experience in comparing AMD GPUs with NVidia especially when you've got the 1600 / 2000 models Vs. 5000,6000,Vega & others so if anyone else can give you a better answer they might be able to help.

Also, is the 750 gold necessary?
I personally put it there because you might want to upgrade GPU to the 3000 series if the 1660 Super isn't to your taste / want to OC the CPU or GPU.

personally I tend to give myself headroom for expandability rather than limiting myself to having to upgrade the powersupply down the road.

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot, makes sense. Would be nice to have some more input and opinions from others on the above specs if possible.

Soldato
With a limited budget the GPU is far more important than the CPU and will yield far more fps per £ spent.

I'd say to go with a 10400F and a 3060/ti build as this will considerably outperform a 5600X + 1660 super in games for a similar outlay.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
With a limited budget the GPU is far more important than the CPU and will yield far more fps per £ spent.

I'd say to go with a 10400F and a 3060/ti build as this will considerably outperform a 5600X + 1660 super in games for a similar outlay.

Hmm, that's a super cheap CPU, worries me that the performance in WoW wouldn't be too great as that is heavily cpu dependant what do you think? I do also play CS from time to time which again is CPU dependant. Wouldn't a 3060 be overkill for CPU intensive games?

Soldato
Hmm, that's a super cheap CPU, worries me that the performance in WoW wouldn't be too great as that is heavily cpu dependant what do you think? I do also play CS from time to time which again is CPU dependant. Wouldn't a 3060 be overkill for CPU intensive games?
Either way it would still be a massive step up from what you're currently using and since you mentioned playing some new releases then having a 3060 would give you a much better gaming experience over a 1660.

Associate
Either way it would still be a massive step up from what you're currently using and since you mentioned playing some new releases then having a 3060 would give you a much better gaming experience over a 1660.

Legit question, I'm not familiar with the new 3XXX lineup, is the 3060 available? if so if it's around £300 MSRP/RRP then OP should be able to pick one up in replacement for the 1660 Super I suggested.

Soldato
Legit question, I'm not familiar with the new 3XXX lineup, is the 3060 available? if so if it's around £300 MSRP/RRP then OP should be able to pick one up in replacement for the 1660 Super I suggested.
The 3060ti version is out right now while the non ti should be released in the next few weeks along with the 3050 / 3050ti so really it would be best going for one of these new Gpus even if OP decides to do the rest of your system right now.

Associate
The 3060ti version is out right now while the non ti should be released in the next few weeks along with the 3050 / 3050ti so really it would be best going for one of these new Gpus even if OP decides to do the rest of your system right now.

Sounds great, if they can snag one of the new GPUs for roughly £300-ish it'd still be within the max £900 price.

Associate
OP
Not too sure what to do with the CPU though if I get one of those new 3060's.. seems 10400 with 3200 RAM is slightly better than a 3600 in games at a cheaper price, correct me if i'm wrong. But the 3600 is better overall when it comes to video rendering and that kind of thing which doesn't really bother me all that much. The 10600k though looks to be quite a fair bit better than the 3600 in terms of gaming with not too much difference in price, hmmm.

Don
Not too sure what to do with the CPU though if I get one of those new 3060's.. seems 10400 with 3200 RAM is slightly better than a 3600 in games at a cheaper price, correct me if i'm wrong. But the 3600 is better overall when it comes to video rendering and that kind of thing which doesn't really bother me all that much. The 10600k though looks to be quite a fair bit better than the 3600 in terms of gaming with not too much difference in price, hmmm.

honestly just look for benchmarks of the games you want to play at the resolution you want for the 10400 + a GPU of the £300 range. If the numbers are higher than your monitors max refresh then it's perfectly fine

Having a CPU /GPU combo that does 200+ fps but you only have a 60/120 refresh rate is overkill for the sake of it

Top Bottom