• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 280x is landing on runway B

Associate
I have updated my 2nd PC from a Q9550 and 4gb RAM, to a AMD FX8350 and 16gb RAM with a Corsair PSU VS550 but i'm still using an original R9 280x that i've had and the system is performing well but .....

i'm still getting peeved about the aircraft taking off noise from the R9, its been loud since day one and i know it's a noisy card that runs hot and i've put up with it but now i want a replacement that doesn't break the bank but will definately be quieter and hopefully performance similar to the 280.

For example, what about a 460/470 with 4gb or maybe a 1050 and remember the PC isn't my main one so it will be only used for limited gaming and as a back up but must be quieter so any advice welcomed.

Associate
I believe OCUK sell aftermarket coolers that you can attach to the 280x yourself. I used to have some Arctic Cooling ones a long time ago. Made a huge difference to temps and noise.

Associate
OP
From my original post this is an update to express some disappointment and to see if anyone wants to comment

So i did buy the RedDevil RX470 with free game offer @ £158 as suggested and am now selling R9 280x, so all works out a good deal money wise ...... but
i'm unhappy at noise performance of card despite various reviews saying its fairly quiet during gaming, for me its only marginally quieter than the R9 and yes i am using the "silent bios" switch thing so clock speed 1220 compared to 1270 at default.

Is there something else i need to do to make it run quieter, i know its a moan, but yep i feel a bit let down by card.

Caporegime
From my original post this is an update to express some disappointment and to see if anyone wants to comment

So i did buy the RedDevil RX470 with free game offer @ £158 as suggested and am now selling R9 280x, so all works out a good deal money wise ...... but
i'm unhappy at noise performance of card despite various reviews saying its fairly quiet during gaming, for me its only marginally quieter than the R9 and yes i am using the "silent bios" switch thing so clock speed 1220 compared to 1270 at default.

Is there something else i need to do to make it run quieter, i know its a moan, but yep i feel a bit let down by card.

Have you tried using Wattman to fine tune your GPU?

Soldato

Have you tried making a custom fan profile?

Maybe have a look at the airflow in your case. If your case has poor airflow any card will scream.

Back
Top Bottom