• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

r9 290 DVI-D to VGA adapter?

Associate
So I bought an r9 290 and I tried to hook it up with my 1600 x900 VGA monitor, and I tried to use an old dvi-i to vga converter - but as the r9 290 only has DVI-D ports, will it work with a DVI-D to VGA converter?
Also, my mobo has just a normal vga slot, could I just connect my monitor through the mobo and still use the gfx card in HD?

Cheers.

Associate
yes you can use a dvi-d - vga converter, and not sure what you mean by use the onboard vga output, if you use that it will only display through the imbedded gpu and wont use the 290 at all, my advice would be to disable the onboard gpu and just use the 290 with a converter.

Associate
The output from DVI-D is digital only, so I seriously doubt the VGA converter is going to work, unless of course it is an expensive active converter, but I have been wrong before ;)

Associate
OP
The output from DVI-D is digital only, so I seriously doubt the VGA converter is going to work, unless of course it is an expensive active converter, but I have been wrong before ;)

Digital only? Not trying to sound like an arse here, but my monitor is flat screen and hd, but it only has a vga connector, so bits not digital?...

Associate
Reading reviews of some DVI-D to VGA converters confirms that they do not work.

DVI-D is digital only, DVI-A is analogue only, DVI-I is both. VGA is analogue and can only accept analogue signals, not digital.

Associate
If your monitor only has a VGA ( D-Sub ) connector then it will not work with a DVI-D output unless you buy an active converter which will likely cost more than the monitor.

So no, your monitor is not digital if it only has the 15 pin D-Sub ( VGA ) connector, sorry :(

Associate
Seriously people ? , you can get a dvi-d to vga converter for about £20 if you 'look' about, and yes its active and yes it works, i have one.

Permabanned
So I bought an r9 290 and I tried to hook it up with my 1600 x900 VGA monitor, and I tried to use an old dvi-i to vga converter - but as the r9 290 only has DVI-D ports, will it work with a DVI-D to VGA converter?
Also, my mobo has just a normal vga slot, could I just connect my monitor through the mobo and still use the gfx card in HD?

Cheers.

The adapter should not even fit in the DVD-D slot and if it did it cannot turn digital into analogue.

You are going to need buy a "Box of Tricks" like I did long ago to get VGA to S-Video, the simply adapter cables cannot work.

Soldato
Darket is bang on, that will work perfectly for connecting a 290 to a VGA-input monitor. Or, if the Displayport output on the 290 is not in use, there is the "DP2VGA" that will work just as well (and is three pound cheaper than DVI2VGAE on the Rainforest's UK website). Wish OcUK stocked stuff like this, would make it easier linking directly to items.

Permabanned
Seriously people ? , you can get a dvi-d to vga converter for about £20 if you 'look' about, and yes its active and yes it works, i have one.

Seriously, learn to read what he is talking about and other peeps replies are about.

This will not work for him :

2zgeour.jpg

He would need an active box of tricks.

@Confused Stu, He is not bang on about the DVI-I to VGA Adapter the OP is trying to use in a DVD-D port.

Last edited:
Associate

LOL!??

That is exactly what I said, with the exception of my thinking it would be expensive ( the last time I looked they were a lot bigger and more expensive - but this was several years ago ).

It will not work with his old DVI-I to VGA adaptor, which is also what I said.

Last edited:
Permabanned
^^ Correct.

A few years back you could convert some of the signal/ports not all but it cost a lot to buy the box of tricks, I remember the original RF to Scart being £79.

Bath Salts+posting on internet=bad idea. :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
IMPORTANT - Can confirm that a DVI-D to VGA adapter will not work with the current set up I have (r9 290). So ill have to buy a new monitor.l that accepts DVI or HDMI. So when buying a new ATI card, pleased ensure you have a digital monitor!

Soldato
forgive me for playing devils advocate here, but perchance a new monitor is needed? this issue aside are you not losing out considering the 290 can push a considerable amount more than 1600*900? i presume this is being used for games and such

Back
Top Bottom