• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290x crossfire upgrade

Associate
Hi there, been running 2 x R9 290X since they released, getting a bit long in the tooth now and also crossfire isn't always supported so looking for a single card upgrade, playing upcoming games like Anthem and Division 2, also like some Battlefield.

Any recommendations without breaking the bank?

Associate
OP
Just a regular 1920x1080, no multi monitor at the moment.

Budget, as cheap as possible but be worth upgrading, not much help I know, £500 ish give or take I guess.

Associate
At 1080 an RX580 would do a good job. For flexibility, Vega 56 are good value just now as well, and would do if you upgrade your monitor in the future, both well below that budget.

Associate
OP
Anything less than a vega 56 will probably give less performance than 290x's in Xfire when they work. Anything better than a RX570 will give better performance when Xfire doesn't work.
Of course this is only a rough estimate based on techpowerup's GPU database.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-r9-290x.c2460

This is my main worry, I spend cash to upgrade and end up the same or worse than i was before. Amazing how little things have moved forward in such a long time!

Associate
OP
When crossfire scales well, ie around 80% you will be getting roughly 1080 performance if I remember right.
OK thats interesting, making me wonder if its worth upgrading? thought there might be a single card solution of a reasonable price that would easily out perform my current cards considering how old they are.

Caporegime
Id go Vega 56/64.

They'll easily outperform your 2x 290s, as have to remember, the games Xfire doesn't work in, or has problems with (which is a lot, as i know, as ive had Xfire, i had 2x Fury Pros before my 64), you'll only be running on a single 290, and the extra vram, will also be much better (if its only 2x of the 4GB 290s you have).

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Id go Vega 56/64.

They'll easily outperform your 2x 290s, as have to remember, the games Xfire doesn't work in, or has problems with (which is a lot, as i know, as ive had Xfire, i had 2x Fury Pros before my 64), you'll only be running on a single 290, and the extra vram, will also be much better (if its only 2x of the 4GB 290s you have).

Second this.

Back
Top Bottom