• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 5950X in Asrock X570 not posting - error 0d

Associate
Hey Folks,

Got my 5950X in the mail today and promptly put it in my system.
To my surprise it won't boot with it in - debug code 0d is shown on the board.
it runs for a minute, then resets itself, shows boot code A6, then 0d again. Its doing this in a loop.

Thing is with my old 2700X it is working just fine. I have tripple checked that I am on the latest BIOS version (3.61).

Config:
5950X (before 2700X)
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming X
Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600mhz memory
GTX 1080TI

So far I tried:
1. reseating the CPU
2. Disconnected from power and cleared CMOS
3. tried booting with minimal config (1 stick of memory, no SSDs, no M.2s, with and without gpu)
4. tried minmal config but with different memory ( random Crucial DDR4 8GB stick)
5. disconnected from power, pressed clear cmos button and removed the toy battery.
6. Swap CPU coolers (From a Noctua NH-D9L to a the AMD stock cooler, that came with my 2700x)
7. Reflashed the BIOS

No dice with the 5950X, as soon as I drop the 2700X back into it, it works like a charm.

Have I missed anything or is my 5950x DOA?

P.S: I have checked the pins of the 5950 and they are straight as a whistle as well. The CPU socket looks fine as well.

oap

oap

Associate
Should be a specific for bios the the 5 series cpu's, with a caution not to use older ones after updating to it.
There is for my x570 anyway :p

Just checked, you are on the correct bios, my bad.
Maybe a dud cpu then assuming your psu is good enough?

Associate
OP
Just tried P3.60, there. No dice. same story. Seems to try and boot, spits out debugger code A6 then switches to 0d.

Only other board I have lying around is a MSI X470, but that doesn't support 5000 series even on the latest bios... argh

Soldato
Do this in this order :-

1. stick 2700x in flash to latest bios.
2. go back into bios and set to factory settings (so clears anything that is added by you)
3. stick 5950x in.
4. clear cmos with PSU switched off at the mains. Use the jumpers to clear the cmos on the motherboard and leave the jumper on for a minute at least.
5. remove the jumper for cmos clearing back to normal position.
6. turn on the mains and try starting the system now.

If it fails again unplug from mains again, remove the cmos battery on the motherboard and stick the cmos clear jumper back on and leave for 5 mins.

Try again if nothing again could be bad cpu or your motherboard, psu or you have not connected all the CPU power cables, the 8pins and sometimes an extra 8pin or 4pin cpu power at the top of the board. Check your connections are all there and in right.

It also maybe your RAM the new CPU may not like the sticks used, so try 1 stick only too in the 4 slots one at a time move 1 stick up one slot at a time, start with the slot closest to the cpu then move up.

Also try the latest BETA BIOS's as they are newer than the official ones and if they don't work you can still go back to the official ones. https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X570 Phantom Gaming X/index.asp#BIOS

Version Date Size Update BIOS Under
/ How to Update
Description Download
[Beta] 3.67 2020/11/24 14.64MB Instant Flash Support DRAM voltage over 1.8V. Global China
[Beta] 3.62 2020/11/11 14.65MB Instant Flash Enhance AMD Ryzen 5000 CPU performance Global China

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Do this in this order :-

1. stick 2700x in flash to latest bios.
2. go back into bios and set to factory settings (so clears anything that is added by you)
3. stick 5950x in.
4. clear cmos with PSU switched off at the mains. Use the jumpers to clear the cmos on the motherboard and leave the jumper on for a minute at least.
5. remove the jumper for cmos clearing back to normal position.
6. turn on the mains and try starting the system now.

If it fails again unplug from mains again, remove the cmos battery on the motherboard and stick the cmos clear jumper back on and leave for 5 mins.

Try again if nothing again could be bad cpu or your motherboard, psu or you have not connected all the CPU power cables, the 8pins and sometimes an extra 8pin or 4pin cpu power at the top of the board. Check your connections are all there and in right.

It also maybe your RAM the new CPU may not like the sticks used, so try 1 stick only too in the 4 slots one at a time move 1 stick up one slot at a time, start with the slot closest to the cpu then move up.

Also try the latest BETA BIOS's as they are newer than the official ones and if they don't work you can still go back to the official ones. https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X570 Phantom Gaming X/index.asp#BIOS

Version Date Size Update BIOS Under
/ How to Update
Description Download
[Beta] 3.67 2020/11/24 14.64MB Instant Flash Support DRAM voltage over 1.8V. Global China
[Beta] 3.62 2020/11/11 14.65MB Instant Flash Enhance AMD Ryzen 5000 CPU performance Global China

Thanks for that,
Pretty much what I tried already.
Went through it again, as you suggested with the cmos jumper, rather then the button. But no dice.
I check the power cables, 24pin and both the 8 and 4 pin for the CPU, all seated good.

Tried different slots with a single stick of RAM also with the other 8GB stick I have, nothing. I don't think its the memory, otherwise shouldn't I get a memory related bios debugger code? 0d is even listed in the manual for my board.
I did try both of the beta bios's, under the 2700x they seem to work fine, but won't boot under the 5950X.

Unless the 5950x uses pins that the 2700x doesn't, I am inclined to make the assumption that the CPU is DOA. sugar.

Associate
OP
google search show 0D to mean Failed DRAM Training, RAM that doesn't work with your CPU
>>Not finding this in the manual for my specific board, only thing dr.google is spitting out for me is for different boards and a link to the FAQ where I can't find that code. Thing is with the 2700X it is working fine. Even with XMP enabled.

check if the code is A6 or Ab (lower case B).
Code Ab indicates under UEFI BIOS screen, code A6 related to mainboard detecting the drive.
When pushing the power button the first thing that shows is A6 then it switches to 0d (lower case d). I am not getting any display output, so the codes I have are displayed on the board itself. The screen stays black the whole time and it does this with the 5950x installed, both sticks of memory, one stick of memory, no GPU, with GPU, without any drives and with drives. The 2700X boots regardless of what is in.

Accourding to Crucial's website, this memory kit is compatible with this board. So unless the 5950X is even more picky with memory.

Associate
OP
I've 2 sticks of BL2K16G36C16U4B. And I also tried BLS2C8G4D240FSA and found some Gskill F4-2400C15D-32GFXR. All 3 work just fine with my 2700X and but neither make a difference on the 5950X.

Soldato
I've 2 sticks of BL2K16G36C16U4B. And I also tried BLS2C8G4D240FSA and found some Gskill F4-2400C15D-32GFXR. All 3 work just fine with my 2700X and but neither make a difference on the 5950X.
Well only thing left now is to try the cpu in another system, sounds like you have a bad CPU as the motherboard you have is basically an Asrock Taichi and every reviewer is using the Taichi to review these cpus, check techpowerup as an example. Yours is a Taichi with extra Ethernet port only and different coloured board. They even run on the same BIOS the Taichi and the board you have.

Soldato
Was going to say you did flash the bios to the latest before putting the chip in yes? Thats what I did with mine it was fine.

(There was also the little matter of forgetting to unplug the PC before doing it so as soon as I dropped the chip in and clamped it down the PC sprung into life and POSTed minus the heatsink.. but thats another story :eek:)

Associate
I'm gonna be a dick. Make sure ALL YOUR CABLES ARE PLUGGED IN! also what PSU are you using. And if it's a fully moduler PSU are you using cable mod cables? If so use the original cables that came with the PSU and see if that works. I had issues with cablemod with my ROG Thor 850W.

Associate
OP
Well only thing left now is to try the cpu in another system, sounds like you have a bad CPU as the motherboard you have is basically an Asrock Taichi and every reviewer is using the Taichi to review these cpus, check techpowerup as an example. Yours is a Taichi with extra Ethernet port only and different coloured board. They even run on the same BIOS the Taichi and the board you have.

>>I don't have another X570 available to me. So I can't test it in another system. I started the RMA, maybe OCUK can get it to work in one of there boards?

Was going to say you did flash the bios to the latest before putting the chip in yes? Thats what I did with mine it was fine.

(There was also the little matter of forgetting to unplug the PC before doing it so as soon as I dropped the chip in and clamped it down the PC sprung into life and POSTed minus the heatsink.. but thats another story :eek:)

>>Flashed the BIOS to P3.61 as soon as I got it, which my 2700X installed. I even tried older and Beta versions of the BIOS, all work like a champ with the 2700x but a no bueno with the 5950X. And yes I cleared the CMOS and loaded BIOS defaults before and after flashing the different BIOS version.

I'm gonna be a dick. Make sure ALL YOUR CABLES ARE PLUGGED IN! also what PSU are you using. And if it's a fully moduler PSU are you using cable mod cables? If so use the original cables that came with the PSU and see if that works. I had issues with cablemod with my ROG Thor 850W.

>> Using a Sesonic Prime TX-850 850W. All cables are plugged in on both ends snug as a bug in a rug. No extension or costum cables used. I am using the original ones.

Associate
I think you have a dud CPU, my 5950x arrived last weak. Built a new fresh build, I struggled to get it to post at the beginning and reset the CMOS when I had already flashed the bios. It eventually posted. But I never experienced the issues you are having. I have a ROG crosshair VIII hero wifi.

Associate
I've just installed my 5600x into msi b550m Pro vdh WiFi, and hit a few weird bits getting going.

When I enabled xmp2, I had all kinds of issues, not booting, not posting etc. Reset bios to default, and set the ram manually. Been fine since. Ran 3dmark, stress test and benchmarked in cpuz.

Might be worth a try

Back
Top Bottom