RAC too slow Police recovered car but charged £150

Soldato
Whos good to go with? Just the AA?
The only time I've tried to actually use them, when my clutch master cylinder disintegrated in my old Golf, they refused to send a recovery until a van attended (because apparently they sometimes fix broken clutches at the roadside) and that would be a few hours. I told them not to bother and sorted it out myself.

I think these days both the AA and RAC have outgrown themselves. Only worth it if you're happy waiting all day for someone to show up.

Soldato
I have used my Nationwide Flexplus recovery which is through Green Flag I believe and everytime someone has shown up within 45 minutes and they always say their target is less than 90.

Soldato
A valid point. I’ve had to use recovery once in the last 6 or 7 years and that was only for a mangled tyre on the M74 as the car had no spare wheel. As it turns out I had no breakdown cover at the time (my mistake) and it cost me £270 to get taken to a 24 hour tyre place in Glasgow, 30 miles from where I was.

If I’d saved the £80 or so a year since then I’d be £480+ up.

Underboss
problem is, your paying for a service you may never use, but when you do need it, its there ready (or in RACs case they tell you they will be there but don't show up)

its probably cheaper to be a non-member and just call them when you need them

Soldato
Always had good service from them myself, nothing to complain about.
Just because you've had good service with them doesn't mean their isn't anything to complain about, RAC are a big company and while they might be good in the area you had an issue in they might suck in other areas other people break down in.

Soldato
I was reading through the latest T&Cs

https://www.rac.co.uk/pdfs/breakdown/310314-drive-uk-breakdown-terms-and-conditions.pdf

Which part says they will reimburse local authority recoveries? The only part I can see refers to Europe and even then just Motorways.

Breakdown or road traffic collision on a motorway in France or Mainland Europe Motorways in France and many other European countries are privately managed. If your vehicle breaks down or is in a road traffic collision on a French motorway, motorway service area, or other European private motorway, you must use the roadside emergency telephones as we cannot send assistance.

If the vehicle is recovered by the police or authorised motorway services, you may have to pay labour and towing charges on the spot and a standard tariff is normally applied. We will reimburse these charges as long as the vehicle is towed to the recovery company’s depot. This may also apply to other roads, so we recommend you use the emergency phones where available. If they will not send a breakdown recovery vehicle, you should contact us.

Seems a bit crap of RAC not to cover this though. I'm gonna always check this in the future. They could perhaps put a reasonable cap or something to avoid stupid costs occurring (£150 seems fine and probably isn't too far away from what it costs them).

Soldato
problem is, your paying for a service you may never use, but when you do need it, its there ready (or in RACs case they tell you they will be there but don't show up)

its probably cheaper to be a non-member and just call them when you need them

I do this, I ended up paying about twice to 3 times the normal annual fee. I've used a recovery service about 3 times in 20 years so I'm well ahead.

The other advantage is you can ring different companies and if the first can't send somebody fairly sharpish you just ring the next one.

Soldato
OP I'd push them for a resolution before going to the ombudsman.

The bottom line:

You're a paid up customer who needed their service. They were unable to provide help in a reasonable time. Police intervention resulted. All of this was beyond your control.

The root cause of this issue was their failure to assist promptly.

Soldato
My breakdown is via Admiral... When I have needed them they just called a local guy who got to me within 40mins.

I just went back into the mall and carried on shopping till he arrived..

Turns out my battery was dead lol

Soldato
OP
Iv now rang rac and logged a complaint with them. They said 5 days till someone gets back to me.
Insurance is fully comp and not worth even trying a claim for 150 quid.
Will see what rac resolution says. Iv advised i want the whole thing paid or my membership money back which is 100quid for the year.
Rac renewal is in feb so if they screw me over im not gonna renew.
Even then iv read up on suggestions earlier and autoaid do seem to be cheap for what they offer.

Soldato
Unless it includes breakdown insurance don't touch anything involving breaking down/wear and tear etc. to my knowledge.

I had my fees reimbursed for a police arranged tow, but that was after an accident... I would have thought being fully comprehensively insured would insure one against a loss like this, its not the op's fault breakdown did not turn up quick enough. I'm often wrong though xD

Anyway, good luck op, we all know they are in the wrong... they should have prioritised the recovery considering the location.

Back
Top Bottom