• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon 57xx (Vapor-X?)

Associate
Hey guys! I've a question for you knowledgeable lot.

For my new build (to be started [1] in a few weeks' time, once my house move is complete), I want a graphics card that is, most importantly, quiet. For this reason, I've had my eye on the Vapor-X 48xx cards. (Specifically, the 4890 Vapor-X, as I'd like a DisplayPort output.)

However, I'm also interested in the low power consumption (particularly at idle) of the new 5xxx cards.

Now, the thing is, I don't need a great deal of 3-D processing power. I don't do any gaming, for example. (My PC will be used mainly for Photoshop and Office apps on Windows 7.) Which is why I was intrigued when I read about the yet-to-be-released 57xx series of cards.

Money isn't that much of a problem, but I'd rather not spend money on performance I don't need. :)

So, my questions. Based on historical precedent (or solid facts, if known!):

- Are the x7xx cards quiet(er than the x8xx cards)?
- Will there be Vapor-X versions of the 57xx cards? (I don't think there are Vapor-X 47xx cards?)
- Will the 57xx cards have a DisplayPort output? (I think yes.)
- What do you think would suit me best? I'm open to suggestions at the moment. :)

Thanks!

[1] When I say "started", I really mean "finished": I already have the P55-GD65 mobo and 4 GiB of GeIL RAM. :)

Soldato
there will aparantly be more veriants out at some point with more video outs maybe more displayports. with a bit of hunting though you should be able to find a low end card with displayport you dont seem to need any real 3D capabilities. seems a waist of money

Associate
Wait for 57xx.

It should outclass 48xx and offer more features for same or lower price.

57xx will support OpenCL and DX11 which may allow acceleration in applications nsuch as photoshop.

Otherwise, get 4670, cheap and pretty good for the money.

Caporegime
I'd first decide how important a new card is, what do you have now and will it fit in the new build? If the answer to that is yes, I'd wait till Jan, the midrange 57XX cards are out in 2 days, while they don't cost much, if you won't game at all, theres really no need for one at all. In Jan(maybe before) the low end cards are coming, either 54XX/53XX series, they'll be significantly cheaper, not really gaming cards, but will have display port, dx11, as said things like open cl which may well add support for things like photoshop in the future(probably will), will obviously be much cooler and much easier to find passive versions or ones with literally silent fans.

Though tbh, my 5850, overclocked in gaming really doesn't spin up in terms of the fan at all, which is surprising. Its not any quieter than my 4890/4870x2 at idle, but under load both the previous cards(especially the x2) sped up a lot and the noise was louder, not intolerable or even that bad, but louder. THe 5850 though, barely goes up at all, still can't hear it, really good job especially for a reduced airflow extraction shroud.

A 5750 will do what you need it too fine, and most likely be silent, maybe even passive versions after not too long, but realistically without any gaming £100 is a little overkill when a £35 card will offer everything you need.

So if you can't wait, the 5750 will be a very good card, just more than you need to spend, if you can Jan, £30-40 cards will be great and do everything you want and potentially much much more.

Associate
If you really are just using it for Photoshop and Office work, anything over about £80 is a complete waste of money. Period.

However i'd get a cheap card (atleast Direct X 9 capable) with 1GB graphics RAM, as Photoshop CS4 now uses the GPU to to speed up processing, so having multiple large images open at the same time will eat up the graphics RAM now too (not just system RAM). Once all the graphics RAM has been taken up, Photoshop CS4 will render any other images you open without GPU acceleration.
You really need to do some serious PS work though for the graphics card to be of much benefit, as any modern CPU will be enough for most PS CS4 users.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom