• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon 5850 VRM Temp

Associate
I now have my card watercooled at last but am a little concerned about VRM temperatures. I've fitted more heatsinks to the chips and everest is now reporting the VRM temp as 70C in furmark. How does stack up to other peoples readings? I'm wanting to get this sorted before I start pushing the card for clock speed as its no good having a cool GPU if I'm frying the VRMs!

Soldato
I don't own a 5850 but i'm pretty sure the vrms are rated to 120 degrees celsius, 70 is fine.

Have you renamed the furmark exe? ATI drivers limit the performance of non renamed furmark due to it breaking the vrms on the 48xx cards, renaming it removes the limit.

Associate
If your stressing the GPU in Furmark and that is a stable temp then I would not worry, this is the GPU being pushed to its limits, 70C is not dangerous

Whilst playing games the actual stress on the GPU is a lot less, (I do not know much about VRM's but I'd say what I have said is close to being correct, if not please correct me)

Associate
OP
Just done that same result it seems the extra heatsinks I've added to the initial ones have done the trick just wanted to compare against stock cooling. Foolishly forgot this reading before changing over doh!

Associate
OP
An old koolance one on a custom loop does the trick though was worried it wouldnt cover the die properly but after some careful measuring first its fine especially with the chip being mounted at 45 degrees compared to my G92. By the looks of it my temps are fine but if anyone running this card has everest it would be good to see their readings or someone running a 4870/90 card.

Associate
OP
Had to look up what that meant lol. Don't really wanna mess about with the camera right now to be honest was just interested what peoples temps are. Its nothing fancy anyway just does the job! Gotta say though it was a real pain trying to find a screwdriver to remove the four screws holding the heatsink in place around the back of the GPU!!!

Soldato
I had a couple of ideas for heatsinks lined up to go with gpu only blocks for the 5870, I went with full cover in the end. Always interesting to see cooling solutions, you never know with a pic or two of the vrm area might be able to able give some suggestions. Oh btw, I've seen a few water-cooled 5800 now and a couple of people seem to have forgotten the separate vrm at the front.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'll try and post some in the morning calling it a night now too many hours at work lately! So you've basically used the plate without the heatsink from the stock cooler right? I've read about people doing that with the 4870/90 today looked interesting as you can do that, use a waterblock and still stick the sinks to that too if you like it seems. It looks to me though that this card might take the thermalright VRM cooler for the 4890 so might end up doing that at some point.

Soldato
I'm using a Thermalright VRM-R2 cooler on my 4870, works better for me than doing the backplate mod. Not sure if the mounting holes of the core and vrms are the same with the 5 and 4 series, would be great if i could stick my cooling on a 5870:D

S5000459.jpg

Soldato
some pictures of the watercooling would be good

Got a Dtek universal waterblock as well but cooling the VRM's seems to be the main thing!

Back
Top Bottom