• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon Adrenaline drivers have had DXR capable drivers since July

Soldato
I always suspected this and told people that my suspicion was that Nvidia and Microsoft made a deal to push RTX hardware based raytracing for a certain time peroid although the amd cards where equally capable like the 1080ti and 1080 can do. And that agreement is running out, but nvidia already impregnated peoples mind that ray tracing= rtx, big win.

What's your thoughts lovely clockers?

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/directx-raytracing-in-gpu-drivers

#edit gears 5 is supposed have dxr, but, is also a AMD title..... so maybe december we will see that become dxr enabled for radeon cards?

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I thought it was always assumed that AMD cards could do it but they were lacking the grunt to do so effectively via software only? As opposed to the RTX range’s dedicated hardware solution?

Soldato
OP
I thought it was always assumed that AMD cards could do it but they were lacking the grunt to do so effectively via software only? As opposed to the RTX range’s dedicated hardware solution?
They were as far as I remember considered better for it than a 1080ti etc as they were far more powerful in compute tasks.
Also the reshade raypathing works great on amd cards

Man of Honour
Think it needs more information really to know what is going on there - it might just be headers and entry points, etc. that exist simply for compatibility without any actual function code behind them.

Caporegime
Think it needs more information really to know what is going on there - it might just be headers and entry points, etc. that exist simply for compatibility without any actual function code behind them.
This is how I see it.

It isn't something that "just works" and needs proper coding for. NVidia obviously have been pushing RT with the latest RTX cards and would have been sorting the code out long back. AMD have the capability but not the code is how I expect it to be.

Soldato
This is how I see it.

It isn't something that "just works" and needs proper coding for. NVidia obviously have been pushing RT with the latest RTX cards and would have been sorting the code out long back. AMD have the capability but not the code is how I expect it to be.

AMD has both sound & graphics ray tracing on the Pro platform for a substantial amount of time.
All the cards since Vega are fully DX12.1 compatible also (needed for DXR). However AMD stated that they won't activate Ray Tracing until the whole product stack can support it.
So when the RX 5500/XT is out, with the upcoming Zen2 based APUs (Jan 2020) we might see it up and running.

Is funny also that everyone talks for Nvidia RTX, or AMD not been capable to support RT yet, when Intel has also Hybrid RT solution thats coming on World of Tanks shortly for all GPUs. Though I do hope would run on all CPUs and going to get really ****** if is Intel exclusive like the 25% extra boost on speed the players got on the last racing tank event. Yeah if you have an i9 (9900K basically) you got 25% more speed on your racing tank :mad:

Man of Honour
This is how I see it.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions either way - from what I've seen so far just not enough information.

Is funny also that everyone talks for Nvidia RTX, or AMD not been capable to support RT yet, when Intel has also Hybrid RT solution thats coming on World of Tanks shortly for all GPUs.

Intel's ray tracing is limited though IIRC only used to light/shadow active tanks - we've been able to do that for awhile developers haven't bothered with it as it is extra work for minimum returns when no one cared about ray tracing.

Soldato
I always suspected this and told people that my suspicion was that Nvidia and Microsoft made a deal to push RTX hardware based raytracing for a certain time peroid although the amd cards where equally capable like the 1080ti and 1080 can do. And that agreement is running out, but nvidia already impregnated peoples mind that ray tracing= rtx, big win.

Your suspicion is absolute nonsense, and I hope people laughed at you when you brought it up. DXR doesn't work like that. It calls whatever API that Nvidia/AMD use for Ray Tracing. Since AMD don't have anything to call, there is nothing that DXR can do. Just let me repeat that, there has been nothing to stop AMD from releasing an API that makes Ray Tracing work on their cards, they just haven't done so yet. And don't take my word for it. Lisa Su came out and said that they wouldn't be releasing any Ray Tracing until their ecosystem was fully ready.

Soldato
OP
Your suspicion is absolute nonsense, and I hope people laughed at you when you brought it up. DXR doesn't work like that. It calls whatever API that Nvidia/AMD use for Ray Tracing. Since AMD don't have anything to call, there is nothing that DXR can do. Just let me repeat that, there has been nothing to stop AMD from releasing an API that makes Ray Tracing work on their cards, they just haven't done so yet. And don't take my word for it. Lisa Su came out and said that they wouldn't be releasing any Ray Tracing until their ecosystem was fully ready.

They could have but were prevented by an exclusivity agreement already made between ms and nvidia. Im actually the one laughing at you.I've been saying that the cards are capable just as the 10 series nvdia cards are, more so because of the raw compute power in amd cards which path tracing favours, but the drivers weren't enabled. This proves that, as the code is on the drivers, and if allowed obviously would be turned on to play raytraced games. But wait.... All ray traced games are all RTX games, not dxr right........

Soldato
I dont think AMD are that bothered anyway because of the lack of RTX in games. For all Nvidia's huffing and blowing and fanfare its still a case of Nvidia saying "come get Ray Tracing buy our cards". Then it fizzled out as there are little games that use it.

People dont buy the 2xxx series just for Ray Tracing alone. Cyberpunk will sell Graphic Cards but I dont see consumers buying into Nvidia just so they can have Ray Tracing in one game. Then look around and see what Ray Tracing game shall I play next, uh, there are none. Nvidia needed to do what console manufacturers do when they release a new console and make sure there are at least 10 games that are just for the console. Likewise they should have made sure there were 10 good Ray Tracing titles. Alas too early too little.

Over a year ago 2xxx was released. Lets be wowed by all the RTX games we can play today.

Man of Honour
They could have but were prevented by an exclusivity agreement already made between ms and nvidia. Im actually the one laughing at you.I've been saying that the cards are capable just as the 10 series nvdia cards are, more so because of the raw compute power in amd cards which path tracing favours, but the drivers weren't enabled. This proves that, as the code is on the drivers, and if allowed obviously would be turned on to play raytraced games. But wait.... All ray traced games are all RTX games, not dxr right........

AFAIK unless there is more information all we have proof of is that the drivers have a few strings relevant to ray tracing - often that is a necessity as a minimum when supporting an API standard even if your drivers/hardware don't support all extensions of an API.

I don't think AMD would have quietly gone along with MS using DXR like that if they were locked out by an exclusivity agreement - it would have been far too much of a chance to generate bad PR for nVidia.

Soldato
OP
AFAIK unless there is more information all we have proof of is that the drivers have a few strings relevant to ray tracing - often that is a necessity as a minimum when supporting an API standard even if your drivers/hardware don't support all extensions of an API.

I don't think AMD would have quietly gone along with MS using DXR like that if they were locked out by an exclusivity agreement - it would have been far too much of a chance to generate bad PR for nVidia.
Im just going by the fact that any game with Ray tracing isn't a dxr title, they are always RTX on titles, as in only playable with nvdia, which is very sneaky because its technically not true at all. But the rtx rtx rtx rtx = raytracing has been a very powerful brain wash for gamers so far

Soldato
OP
I dont think AMD are that bothered anyway because of the lack of RTX in games. For all Nvidia's huffing and blowing and fanfare its still a case of Nvidia saying "come get Ray Tracing buy our cards". Then it fizzled out as there are little games that use it.

People dont buy the 2xxx series just for Ray Tracing alone. Cyberpunk will sell Graphic Cards but I dont see consumers buying into Nvidia just so they can have Ray Tracing in one game. Then look around and see what Ray Tracing game shall I play next, uh, there are none. Nvidia needed to do what console manufacturers do when they release a new console and make sure there are at least 10 games that are just for the console. Likewise they should have made sure there were 10 good Ray Tracing titles. Alas too early too little.

Over a year ago 2xxx was released. Lets be wowed by all the RTX games we can play today.
Cod, wolfenstein, control, deliver us the moon, metro, bf5, Minecraft, quake are all I can think of from the top of my head without googling

Back
Top Bottom