1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon FURY thread

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by truther, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Martini1991

Caporegime

They're not bad, but they're still second to the market and second best and more expensive :p? Fury X compared to the 980Ti.

Fury's unknown quantity till price is out, but even then, in the context of performance upgrade, it's meager. To be perfectly honest, I found the whole 970/980 to be massively underwhelming too, bar what they offered as a package.
    Lets not forget the hype the Fury X had. Many people were banging on about "Unprecedented performance" with its paper specs.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  2. Ian Evey

Wise Guy

I totally agree, Maybe it will be worth upgrading when dx12 games are out.

3. JediFragger

Capodecina

That's pretty damning right there :(

4. Gerard

Caporegime

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  5. Quarktran

Associate

Any idea of what time the fury will be available at tomorrow to order and what the price will be. Rocking an overclocked 290 here and just looking for an upgrade but not sure either are worth the cash.

6. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

Probably 1pm like X.

7. RavenXXX2

Capodecina

Ouch

8. Quarktran

Associate

cheers, in work and will decide then. not really struggling at 1440p on the 290 with freesync but just fancy an upgrade. will depend on price etc.

9. Lokken86

Mobster

Poor optimization from drivers, high cpu overhead, no mantle and looks like shader performance becoming saturated. That's my guess.

10. Gibbo

Commissario

Really?

Sales are higher this Summer than they were at Christmas, all records smashed! :)

Just all mainly green.....

11. Lokken86

Mobster

At least these will be in stock tomorrow for more than 60 seconds. Just hope its not £450.

12. JediFragger

Capodecina

Those Ti's must be FLYING out since the Fury launch :eek:

AMD, nVidia's new best friend....:D :p

13. D.P.

Caporegime

The same 4 shader engines (but more compute units per shader engine), the same number of geometry engine, same number of ROPs.

Having more shaders only helps you if :
    A) The game is limited by shader performance
    2) You can effectively utilize the extra shaders. The more you have the harder it is to maintain efficiency and peak load.

I expect 6 Shader engines with the same number of compute uits per shader engine and 2 geometery engines per shader engine would have boosted performance a load but was infeasible on 28nm.

14. D.P.

Caporegime

Sadly it take a long time to go through all the design work, tape outs and processing so once they commit there is no going back. Once the tiny Maxwell V2 in the 750Ti was released they probably knew they were going to have issues but by then it was too late and they just had to push n with their design decisions.

15. ICDP

Wise Guy

Ironic from HardOCP. 780Ti came in at $150 more than 290X yet gave very similar gameplay experience (less than 10% faster overall) on all games apart from the handful with PhysX. Yet HardOCP decided it was worth a Silver award.

Don't get me wrong, I think Fury is overpriced at anything more than £400 considering the ~10% slower 980 is available for £360ish.

It is clear AMD have decided they will no longer sell their GPUs cheap as they don't want to be seen as the cheap alternative. The problem for AMD is that neither Fury card is seen as a truly viable alternative to Nvidia's offerings.

Fury is marginally faster than 980, yet offers no tangible gameplay benefits.
    Fury X does have one benefit over 980Ti (AiO cooler as standard). On the other hand it is demonstrably slower at anything below 4K.

But these are not big enough reasons for anyone to go red over green. Overall FuryX is a decent card for 4K users, but the 980Ti is a better at the same price. Fury is just Meh to be honest. For me Fiji has made people sit up and take notice of Nvidia.

Overall Fiji will be seen as a failure IMHO, regardless of the fact they are reasonably competitive in certain scenarios.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  16. Vinno

Wise Guy

I have a 980ti in my basket waiting until tomorrow to click buy.

I'm 99% sure the Fury price is gonna be a big nope from me and I'll go green. After 15 years of AMD cards this is how it ends...I feel so dirty.

17. RavenXXX2

Capodecina

Furyx at 450 and fury at 350 is where AMD needs to be.

18. Martini1991

Caporegime

Agreed.
    But then a few months down the line, they're going to want it to be 350/250 :p

19. Orangey

Sgarrista

Pyschologically, looking at the 4000 chopped to 3500 it seems way more than the diff between 290 & X.

20. Gerard

Caporegime

Wonder if these are flashable....seeing as the chip and hbm are all in one package and the fact that the sapphire card seems to be exactly the same pcb as the fury x. Assuming the sapphire one has the dual bios id imagine it wont be long before we find out. That being said reviews seem to suggest not all that much between this and the fury x performance wise.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015