• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon HD 6990 leaked slides

Associate
amdradeonhd6990_offdetails_2a_dh_fx57.jpg

amdradeonhd6990_offdetails_4a_dh_fx57.jpg

amdradeonhd6990_offdetails_5a_dh_fx57.jpg

amdradeonhd6990_offdetails_6a_dh_fx57.jpg

amdradeonhd6990_offdetails_13a_dh_fx57.jpg

amdradeonhd6990_offdetails_15a_dh_fx57.jpg

amdradeonhd6990_offdetails_16a_dh_fx57.jpg

amdradeonhd6990_offdetails_17a_dh_fx57.jpg

amdradeonhd6990_offdetails_18a_dh_fx57.jpg

Source:http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.donanimhaber.com%2Fekran-karti%2Fhaberleri%2FAMDden-dunyanin-en-hizli-ekran-karti-Tum-detaylariyla-Radeon-HD-6990.htm

Associate
I can tell from seeing a lot of shopedewoops in my time that this is defiantly real :/

Tbh its right around the corner and i will beleive it when i see it, two 6970s are 50% faster then a single gtx 580 were in gods name are they getting a ni extra 20% from? from my understanding two seperate cards running 1 core will run about the same as 1 card using two of the same core's.

Soldato
I can tell from seeing a lot of shopedewoops in my time that this is defiantly real :/

Tbh its right around the corner and i will beleive it when i see it, two 6970s are 50% faster then a single gtx 580 were in gods name are they getting a ni extra 20% from? from my understanding two seperate cards running 1 core will run about the same as 1 card using two of the same core's.

Maybe AMD are surprising us and using 28nm??

Maybe they will be releasing something more powerful than the 580 to compete with it and using two of those on the 6990.

The card usage is around 450w so that would suggest two 70's

Soldato
Alex Hull @ Vortez said:
I can now confirm that the card will utilise two PCIe 8-pin connectors. This means the power requirements have gone up, and the most interesting question is why? We saw EVGA show off their Nvidia dual-GPU card at CES 2011 in January, widely assumed to be a version of the upcoming GTX 590, which used the same power configuration. It may be an attempt by AMD to match or even beat the performance of the GTX 590, which makes things very interesting indeed.

http://www.vortez.net/news_story/amd_radeon_hd_6990_antilles_to_launch_march_8th.html

Associate
OP
according to tPU @ 2560x1600

6950CF is 40% faster than gtx 580 on Avg

since 6990OC is 67% ,stock one will be around 60% i guess,
which doesn't look right

Soldato
I've published this and summarised my thoughts on some of the more interesting observations.

Alex Hull @ Vortez said:
Two versions of the card, Normal and 'OC', differing in clockspeed from 830MHz to 880MHz respectively. A switch-able configuration using the Dual-BIOS on the card, to give higher core speed and voltage.
The 'OC' version sports a massive 450W TDP, confirming the extra power requirements we hinted at yesterday.
67% faster than a GTX 580.
Almost perfect scaling for CrossfireX in certain configurations.

What do you guys think - does that cover it or are there any other subtle nuggets of info of note that we're missing?

Should make a good fight with the GTX 590. I believe nVidia were waiting for AMD to make the first move, so this is it and they seem to have gone all-out, moreso than we expected. I think nVidia can probably match (at least) the performance, but can they compete on price too? Doubtful, but should be interesting. It highlights the other point though, the GTX 590 is going to be expensive, now the HD 6990 looks very pricey too - they're never going to be remotely mainstream, and if we're pushing 450W you're going to need a serious rig to do these justice anyway. They probably won't even reach the market penetration of the GTX 295 or HD 5990 in my opinion, and will be reserved for super-high end.

Last edited:
Soldato
TBH i don't really see the point of dual GPU card these days, I mean it would be better to crossfire/SLI two cards IMO, if you can afford these cards you surely must have a high spec mobo that can support SLI/crossfire.

Soldato
I don't think it's fake. If it is, they've gone to some lengths to produce a full presentation. All the facts make sense with what we know so far - I've even seem glimpses of the actual card over the net, and the increased TDP is reflected in the 2x8-pin config, rather than the 6/8 pin we saw when AMD's Matt Skynner showed off the card in January.

Back
Top Bottom