• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX Vega 64 vs. GeForce RTX 2080, Adrenalin 2019 Edition Driver Update Benchmark Test

Soldato
The price/performance ration isn't even close. Clear win for Vega64. And of course better IQ with AMD, AMD cards improve over time whereas NV gimp drivers for older cards.

Man of Honour
Vega card was hardly overclocked kaap. All he done was fixed the throttling that would happen out the box.
1500 is nothing compared to the Liquid version that can hit 1600 out the box and then pushed to 1700 with tweaking.

The point I am making is he is no longer comparing like with like standard cards.

+100mhz on the HBM and +25% PT is a noticeable OC too.

I am aware that the guys on the forum have been quite successful at overclocking Vega but Turing also can overclock a long way. This morning my RTX Titans were running @2100mhz on air with stock volts and bios, if I changed these they would go even higher.

https://www.3dmark.com/pr/22830

Man of Honour
The price/performance ration isn't even close. Clear win for Vega64. And of course better IQ with AMD, AMD cards improve over time whereas NV gimp drivers for older cards.

Definitely a win for Vega on the price/performance front.

IQ is the same for both vendors even though at default AMD have brighter punchier colours.

Having brighter punchier colours at default is not actually better as it can be over the top sometimes in the same way as Ray Tracing on Turing cards in BFV can look unrealistic.

Having said that I do prefer the default colours on AMD cards.

Soldato
The point I am making is he is no longer comparing like with like standard cards.

I am aware that the guys on the forum have been quite successful at overclocking Vega but Turing also can overclock a long way. This morning my RTX Titans were running @2100mhz on air with stock volts and bios, if I changed these they would go even higher.

Personally i thought he summed up why he did it well enough.

Since the RTX is factory OC I gave the RX Vega 64 a easy OC that everybody should be able to achieve with a few clicks: Undervolted the P6 state by 50mV, increased the PT by 25% and overclocked HBM by 100Mhz.

Basically the 2080 was not stock so he gave the Vega a small bump as well. Had he a V64 like my Powercolor Red Devil he most likely wouldn't have touched clocks. It's not like he went mental either. Both had small overclocks so pretty much like for like testing.

Man of Honour
Personally i thought he summed up why he did it well enough.

Basically the 2080 was not stock so he gave the Vega a small bump as well. Had he a V64 like my Powercolor Red Devil he most likely wouldn't have touched clocks. It's not like he went mental either. Both had small overclocks so pretty much like for like testing.

15mhz more than a FE 2080 is like practically non existent for an overclock - less than 1%.

With my RTX Titan this morning I was using +190mhz core and +1200mhz memory on air with stock bios and volts.

Permabanned

IQ is the same for both vendors even though at default AMD have brighter punchier colours.

Having brighter punchier colours at default is not actually better as it can be over the top sometimes in the same way as Ray Tracing on Turing cards in BFV can look unrealistic.

The colours on the Radeons are not brighter, actually the ones on the Geforces are brighter, washed out and with slight fog effect over the image.
The Radeons images are darker, with higher contrast and more naturally looking colours.

Soldato

I suppose IQ is in the eye of the beholder anyway, from my own experience going back years I've always preferred AMD's palette.

Soldato
OP

Stock HBM is 950 on my 64 so it's only 50mhz increase from my testing on my GPU that is very little difference. Even 1050 is not worth it that is why I keep my Vega at 950.
On balanced preset my Vega run from 1200/1400 up and down based on temperature because of the aggressive voltage out the box.
A simple lower of voltage makes my Vega run 1500 all the time.
Since the 2080 is tweaked out the box with a factory OC it's only fair like he done to give the Vega a little tweak to stop it throttling.

Man of Honour
The colours on the Radeons are not brighter, actually the ones on the Geforces are brighter, washed out and with slight fog effect over the image.
The Radeons images are darker, with higher contrast and more naturally looking colours.

Not darker, more saturated is the word you are looking for - either that or you need a new monitor.:D:p

You do realise that you can setup NVidia cards to do exactly the same.:)

Soldato
15mhz more than a FE 2080 is like practically non existent for an overclock - less than 1%.

With my RTX Titan this morning I was using +190mhz core and +1200mhz memory on air with stock bios and volts.
And the Overclock the Vega recieved is barely an overclock as well. My untouched reference sits at 1560mhz during gaming with occasional jumps to 1600~.

Soldato

You know fine well that it's not what is stated as the boost clocks which you go by. It's what the actual card boosts to and maintains. From toms review the FE would start at 1905 and end up at around 1800mhz when heated up. This oc card was boosting 1930-1950mhz and maintaining it, that's a decent chunk of mhz there. So basically the 2080 oc he is using takes away the throttling that FE has. His OC also has higher clocks. The tweaks he done to Vega pretty much do the same for Vega.

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-founders-edition,review-34552-11.html

Man of Honour
Stock HBM is 950 on my 64 so it's only 50mhz increase from my testing on my GPU that is very little difference. Even 1050 is not worth it that is why I keep my Vega at 950.
On balanced preset my Vega run from 1200/1400 up and down based on temperature because of the aggressive voltage out the box.
A simple lower of voltage makes my Vega run 1500 all the time.
Since the 2080 is tweaked out the box with a factory OC it's only fair like he done to give the Vega a little tweak to stop it throttling.

I found on Vega64 running the memory @1050mhz gave a very noticeable performance bump.

Getting the HBM2 on my other cards up to 1050 also gave good results.

Permabanned
Not darker, more saturated is the word you are looking for - either that or you need a new monitor.:D:p

My monitor has nothing to do with this. I am just looking at the video's left and right sides.

You do realise that you can setup NVidia cards to do exactly the same.:)

Possibly, if you play with the nvidia control panel and experiment. But you still won't be able to return the missing details in the Geforces images.

Soldato
OP
I found on Vega64 running the memory @1050mhz gave a very noticeable performance bump.

Getting the HBM2 on my other cards up to 1050 also gave good results.

In games or 3Dmark? Because in games I seen no difference I can even run a test to show this.
It's when you have Tony's HBM speed do you see the changes.

Man of Honour
You know fine well that it's not what is stated as the boost clocks which you go by. It's what the actual card boosts to and maintains. From toms review the FE would start at 1905 and end up at around 1800mhz when heated up. This oc card was boosting 1930-1950mhz, that's a decent chunk of mhz there. So basically the 2080 oc he is using takes away the throttling that FE has. His OC also has higher clocks. The tweaks he done to Vega pretty much do the same for Vega.

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-founders-edition,review-34552-11.html

You are talking lots of different variables which are not relevant.

Using the FE cooler my RTX Titans average 2050mhz when overclocked however long I run them for and sometimes hit 2130mhz which is not bad on air.

If only the guy in the video had used a FE 2080 and left the overclocking alone the results would have been far more meaningful.

If he had done the above I still think Vega64 would have performed very well indeed, unfortunately he messed up before he even started.

Soldato
My monitor has nothing to do with this. I am just looking at the video's left and right sides.
Possibly, if you play with the nvidia control panel and experiment. But you still won't be able to return the missing details in the Geforces images.
Can you elaborate on the missing details, Do you mean pop in, texture mapping or draw distance.
I'm not interested in the washed out look it's not an issue, It's clear why it's happened and there's no need to talk about it.
But if you can highlight the missing details then great.

Back
Top Bottom