Radiator Fans Question - replacing some old fans

Associate
The XE with push/pull fits. Only issue would be with some vertical GPU brackets.
I'm not particularly keen on the DDC pumps. Their "signature" noise can be fine for most, but for me wasn't pleasant if over 25%.
Going with the same de distro would mean 2 rads.
Going with the front one, doable with 3, but trick for the runs. Also the bottom XE with push/pull would be odd of going with hard tubing.

Associate
OP
Trawling online to find builds with triple rads and the front distro seems difficult to find examples, however it’s apparently doable with a slim rad in the vertical position. Did you try it yourself, drumroll? If so how did you get on and any build info or pics? Cheers.

Associate
No. Went with pump/reservoir combo.
I can imagine a PE on the side should work, as long it is mounted on the second chamber. If you search for regular O11 triple rad you may find something, but then the bends between top and side rad can be challenging if going hard tubing.
Also,looking for some triple rad and front distro, most would go with only pull or push for the bottom, if going with the XE, as it would require few bends to run the tubing of going push/pull.
Particularly, the distro looks fine, but I like the combo better. The side distro the issue is the pump. When I tried it, wasn't even able to push through 2 rads and GPU (front and active backplate) + CPU. The 3.2 pump is a must, but is advisable to use some sort of active cooling for it.

Associate
OP
Awesome thanks drumroll. What combo is good? How is the EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE D5 series? I have never used the EK kit before (only built one of prior to this and it used a bay pump/res here under a different username)

Last edited:
Associate
Is the one I've used.
Top quality pump, very quiet.
The unit is quite flexible, allowing top or bottom/side intake, which is handy when running tubing.
I'm away from my PC now, but there's a post under 3090 ownership s with a photo of my built at the time.

Soldato
So basic question is: my assumption says go for 55-60mm rads in push-pull, to run them at low rpms for a quieter overall setup. This would be 3 x 360 rads cooling one cpu and one gpu. Is this overkill? What other configs are worth considering?
I am curious as to how 35-40mm rads would work with push or pull (not push-pull) on the basis this will save space and/or cost. Am considering EKWB 360 range.
30mm rads will make almost no difference, or at least not enough difference to make a difference.
45mm rads will not be as good in Push or Pull as they will in Push-Pull.
60mm rads pretty much require Push-Pull, or some ******* hefty fans... but you'll then go deaf!!!

3x360 rads is a bit overkill for most modern power/heat-efficient kit, but more rad space is still more cooling and would likely take you close to the point of dimishing returns without going over the edge. It would actually be very good with my OC'd 5960X and 980Ti, as they put out a LOT of heat.
Cutting it back to just two 60mm 360s would probably do very nicely and I know a few guys on here who favour those EK 60mm 360 rads. Their systems are among the quietest I have ever known, and I'm rather jealous!

Associate
The XE with push/pull fits. Only issue would be with some vertical GPU brackets.
I'm not particularly keen on the DDC pumps. Their "signature" noise can be fine for most, but for me wasn't pleasant if over 25%.
Going with the same de distro would mean 2 rads.
Going with the front one, doable with 3, but trick for the runs. Also the bottom XE with push/pull would be odd of going with hard tubing.
I have the XE and an EKWB FE block in a vertical bracket and had to modify the bracket to make it fit.
I've played around with the push/pull and ramped down the push fans to see if it makes a difference and with my two rads there's 1 degree delta difference.

Associate
OP
Awesome feedback guys, thanks. Am erring on two approaches:

1. 2x 360 rads with the front distro plate
2. 3x 360 rad and a cylinder reservoir/pump combo mounted above the base rad on a fan mount.

Associate
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-ampere-rtx-3090-owners-thread.18898762/page-125
down the page my previous setup.
The PE rad is good. The XE is better, but need push/pull to perform, otherwise same level as the PE.
https://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/05/31/ek-coolstream-xe-360mm-radiator-review/4/
Test to give you an idea.

You should be fine with dual rad.
A third rad would allow lower fan rpm (more rad area), but if needed, higher fan rpm and the two rads are enough for most setups.
I wasn't impressed with the very restrictive 30mm Corsair rad.
Also dislike the DDC pump. The high pitch for me was too intrusive. The supplied 3.1 DDC barely managed to push the coolant. Impossible to bleed the system. The 3.2 was strong, but anything more than 30% and a high pitch was very noticeable.
If you set for a distro, I would suggest one with a D5 pump. No cooling required, reliable, and pretty quiet. No need to run 100%, unless the loop is very restrictive. In fact, I noticed better performance between 50-60%.
But I would like to highlight that's my opinion. Some people are less sensitive to noises.

If going for a D5 pump, or distro with D5, after bleeding the loop, you should play around and find the sweet spot for your pump, as every pump is different. I would start at 40% and increase 5% each time. Also, once the pump is performing as needed, and you're happy with the noise, don't bother setting up to increase it's speed. The only scenario which such increase would be beneficial is when the flow rate is too low to start with. But dual EK rad or even triple Ek rad + EK waterblocks, the D5 at 50%-60% (ish) should be enough.

If you decide for a DDC pump equipped distro, a heatsink for the pump and some slow slim fan should reduce greatly the chances of pump failure, as the main issue with the DDC is overheating. The D5 is cooled by the loop.

Associate
Just to complement, I've tried many rads/projects with the XL.
Top, 40mm ideal, 45mm (Alphacool XL) may complicate things a bit depending on your motherboard's heatsinks.
Side, 40mm or 45mm in second chamber, no issues. The Alphacool is slimmer, so won't be forced against the cables of the front IO panel. The EK fits, just needs to be gently fitted.
If you plan on fitting the side rad in the main chamber, I would stay with the 40mm if you plan to install the fans in main chamber, as the 5mm difference would put it very close to the bottom rad.
Bottom, the only limitation is if you're using vertical bracket for GPU.
60mm push/pull fits easily.

The advantage of the Alphacool rads is the multiport. Depending on how you're planning to run your tubing, it can be very handy. Also, you can easily install a drain port without the need of a Y splitter.
When I was using the Alphacool rads I was using those unused ports for temperature sensors. More like a project, as I was monitoring the coolant's temperature before and after each radiator. Spoiler: loop order doesn't matter, only the air you supply to the rads.
Top rad, exhaust, side and bottom rad, intake. Yes the side and bottom will dump some heat inside the case, which will slightly affect the top rad, but most of the heat is already out the case (exhausted by the top rad), and the side and bottom rads, using cool air, will only drop the coolant's temperature, as low as possible.

Associate
Hi Alex , I see you found a lot more knowledgable builders in this thread than the other one that I tried to help in.

I have Dynamic and a 60mm Alphacool rad at the top, it fits really well with just 25mm push fans. XL has same clearance at the top iirc. Linking from top rad to side distro plate was real pain and I had to use just fittings. If you try to stuff to many rads in you will get more and more difficult links if you are going hard tubing.

Glad I found this thread of yours because I now realise I can easily add a temp sensor to the loop, Ty Drumroll for pointing out the obvious to me. Now I am off to research LCD panels to show system stats.

Yes the DDC pump does have a squeal and I only run mine at 30% max. I have the 4.2 with heatsink and is still audible. I have learnt my lesson and will go D5 in future.

Associate
OP
Some awesome posts there guys, thanks, really helpful.

Yes on the rads I feel like I want to go to 3 rads and try to take advantage of lower RPMs and hopefully quieter system.

In terms of radiator brand, am considering the alphacool rads on the basis they have multiport, which I find quite attractive as a feature. Although the EK rads are obviously quite good from what I can ascertain. The alphacools thickness However is noted. Considering going push pull in bottom rad then either 38mm EK PE radiator, or alphacool XT45, for the side and top. But I suspect the 45mm may not fit once MoBo is considered.

In terms of reservoir, I think distro plate may be out as fitting will be tight with three rads and the vert rad would need to be 30mm if I did go for front distro, which may be minimal gains for the added complexity, so as to be questionable as a system design. Even if there are flat ones with D5 pumps. Although this is still tempting: EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 360 PWM D5 D-RGB horizontal mount perhaps?! hmm...

D5 pump, yes will be going for this type, with whatever unit I end up going with - still researching those.

Next item to consider now are updating myself in the world of fan controllers: not sure how far this has moved on since my last system build using an aquero 5 (iirc, no at pc). And of course deciding on the best fans…. What a minefield!

I should add, case arrives today so can do some measurements and investigations..!

Last edited:
Soldato
Often the fan controller is specific to the fans you buy.

As for Alphacools, consider cross flow rads for the roof and floor. For the roof rad, if you can get a crossflow that has ports on top and bottom, you can have an easy way to fill and drain your system.

Associate
OP
With regard to fan controllers, am used to aquero 5. Could stick with the version 6 for this build, unless anyone recommends anything better? Need to control some fans rgb also, and ideally daisy chain the fans.

yeah the alphacools definitely look good with the multiple ports top and bottom. In terms of draining, last build (and only!) I did I put a drain port down at the bottom of the system.

Associate
OP
So got the case. Very nice piece of kit. Not quite as big as I was expecting actually! Really neat design though, very well considered.

measuring this thing up, as drumroll and others said, definitely looks like 40mm rads for top and side are about right. The 45mm alphacool rads feel like they might be too tight.

Bottom rad, a 60mm rad in push/pull would be 110mm approx (very thick overall) but looks like it would just fit (although tight to a motherboard bottom edge) However as mentioned above by drumroll this prohibits the gpu riser card. although I wonder what thickness bottom rad would permit it?

so am considering either:

1. 38mm rads all round, bottom in push/pull

or

2. 60mm bottom in push/pull, and 38mm side and top.

Associate
OP
Just to complement, I've tried many rads/projects with the XL.
Top, 40mm ideal, 45mm (Alphacool XL) may complicate things a bit depending on your motherboard's heatsinks.
Side, 40mm or 45mm in second chamber, no issues. The Alphacool is slimmer, so won't be forced against the cables of the front IO panel. The EK fits, just needs to be gently fitted.
If you plan on fitting the side rad in the main chamber, I would stay with the 40mm if you plan to install the fans in main chamber, as the 5mm difference would put it very close to the bottom rad.
Bottom, the only limitation is if you're using vertical bracket for GPU.
60mm push/pull fits easily.

OK, so I have been measuring...!

Top Rad:
Looks like it'll work using the Alphacool NexXxos UT45 45mm thick rad - only just - and not clash with the motherboard and leave enoug gap for the cable connections on that edge of the motherboard. However, given this will be a push fan configuration only, would a 45mm really be better than the EK PE at 38mm? Soemthing to consider.

Vertical/side Rad:

A) a 38mm EK PE in main chamber with 25mm fan in pull configuration (fan also in main chamber) would just clear the bottom rad, as you state. Question is, this fan could technically be complemented by a set of push fans mounted in the outside chamber, making the vertical side rad a push/pull on a38mm EK coolstream PE. Again - is it worth it? Curious to try.

B) Looks like an Alphacool UT45 could just fiot in the second chamber, but with pull fans mounted in the main chamber. Not sure this would be worth it.

Bottom Rad:
Thinking either the 45mm or 60mm Alphacool NexXxoS UT45 or UT60 Full Copper 360mm - either rad fitted with push / pull - or, go for the EK Coolstream XE 60mm, alos push/pull. The Alphacool 45mm perhaps making the case slightly less tight.

Had hoped to go for a vertical GPU on a riser, but short of working out some sort of custom bracket like @Jay85 did on his awesome build, don't think that'll be a goer.

Any thoughts? Cheers :)

'Sensible' would be 38mm top and side, and either 45mm or 60mm on bottom.
'Enthusiastic' would be 45mm top, 38mm side, 60mm bottom.

Soldato

OK, so I have been measuring...!

Top Rad:
Looks like it'll work using the Alphacool NexXxos UT45 45mm thick rad - only just - and not clash with the motherboard and leave enoug gap for the cable connections on that edge of the motherboard. However, given this will be a push fan configuration only, would a 45mm really be better than the EK PE at 38mm? Soemthing to consider.

Vertical/side Rad:

A) a 38mm EK PE in main chamber with 25mm fan in pull configuration (fan also in main chamber) would just clear the bottom rad, as you state. Question is, this fan could technically be complemented by a set of push fans mounted in the outside chamber, making the vertical side rad a push/pull on a38mm EK coolstream PE. Again - is it worth it? Curious to try.

B) Looks like an Alphacool UT45 could just fiot in the second chamber, but with pull fans mounted in the main chamber. Not sure this would be worth it.

Bottom Rad:
Thinking either the 45mm or 60mm Alphacool NexXxoS UT45 or UT60 Full Copper 360mm - either rad fitted with push / pull - or, go for the EK Coolstream XE 60mm, alos push/pull. The Alphacool 45mm perhaps making the case slightly less tight.

Had hoped to go for a vertical GPU on a riser, but short of working out some sort of custom bracket like @Jay85 did on his awesome build, don't think that'll be a goer.

Any thoughts? Cheers :)

'Sensible' would be 38mm top and side, and either 45mm or 60mm on bottom.
'Enthusiastic' would be 45mm top, 38mm side, 60mm bottom.
Sorry mate, if you need to know which parts i used to make the custom vertical mount i can list them sort of. Just can't mention competitors but can at least show you the brackets you need. Requires some cutting too.

Back
Top Bottom