Radical Feminist and SJW's incessant cultural Marxism could create havoc on internet infastructure.

Soldato
Why is the difference between Connery, Moore, Craig, etc. unimportant but skin colour such a big deal for you?

It's called artistic integrity. I cannot suspend my belief if it's so obvious that the cast has been chosen to fore fill a diversity quota.

Like they're thinking of blackwashing The Little Mermaid by casing Zendaya as Ariel. They would then of course need to change the race of at least one of the parents to make sense (or do whats become a trend in movies and say they're "Adopted") It's becomes a mess and breaks the story in the name of shoehorning in virtue signalling. It moves the story more and more away from the original intent, rendering the whole thing a joke.

Same thing with Bond

Whitewashing is a problem (I wanted an Asian to play Motoko Kusanagi in GITS not ScrJo), but black/female washing is also wrong and two wrongs don't make it right

Caporegime
Oh dear, it seems that some people have pretty much reinforced Werewolf's point and decided to complain about pretty much what he was talking about.

I've had a look back at my threads and the last SJW thread I created was about the New York Times hiring someone who had made a whole bunch of openly racist tweets, albeit towards white people. Now I'd not consider that merely a politeness issues.

It is cases when identity politics goes way too far that I'd generally take issue with. I think a reasonable (but perhaps crude) test is to just switch the genders/or races around and ask whether the same thing/statement etc.. would be bigoted then.

For example I don't have any issue with feminists who state they're feminists in the sense that they are simply fighting for equality - that's great, there was a movement a couple of years or so ago where various men came out wearing the t-shirt with something along the lines of "this is what a feminist looks like" etc.. but I'd not self identify as a feminist as plenty of feminists seemingly aren't fighting for equality but are instead just seeking to advocate for women, gain things for women and in some cases just outright attacking men. It is not uncommon to see generalisations on social media about say "men" and inevitably some guy will chip in with "not all men" and the feminists get triggered. "Mansplaining" is another thing, ostensibly a phenomenon where men treat woman as though they're a bit dim and speak to them in a patronising way but now used to attack a man simply having an option on some issue related to equality.

I think one of the latest SJW outrages is about comedian Jack Whitehall being cast as Disney's first openly gay character - back to the crude test - flip it around and imagine complaining about a gay person playing a straight character... you'd come across as rather bigoted if you were to complain about that. Indeed thankfully the likes of Stephen Fry have come out in support of Jack, acting is acting... granted the (crude) test doesn't work if you'd wanted a white person to black up but if you want to switch the race of a character then that in itself shouldn't be controversial (if you're doing it for the sake of it, because muh diversity, and it doesn't fit then there might be complains about how it is silly but it shouldn't generally be an issue).

Anyway I don't think my typical objections about SJWs are much to do with politeness or fairness, if anything they're generally about how people aren't not being treated in the same way/unfairness is being demanded because some aspect of a person's identity means they should be treated differently. Like a person from a minority group being given a free pass re: having made overtly racist tweets.

Soldato
Why is the difference between Connery, Moore, Craig, etc. unimportant but skin colour such a big deal for you?
It's not just skin colour though. I'd have the same issue if they cast him as a 17 or 84 year old. I also don't want John Shaft played by a woman from Malaysia for the same reasons.

Soldato
The thing that I don't get when people get outraged for the 'historical inaccuracies ' is often they have looked past all the other ones in the game/movie but now there is a female or black person which apparently is a step too far.

Soldato
It depends largely how it's done though. I've played almost exclusively female characters in some fighting games. Kitana in Mortal Kombat for example and still use female skins in games like Fortnite. Ellen Ripley is probably my favourite character for a Sci-Fi film but she didn't feel shoehorned in. Wasn't the role originally supposed to be a man?

The BF5 trailer I thought was excellent overall, but the coloured hair, metal arm etc. just felt completely out of place and can see why people were annoyed by it. You could tell it was agenda driven and that's what people didn't like.

Soldato
Ellen Ripley is probably my favourite character for a Sci-Fi film but she didn't feel shoehorned in. Wasn't the role originally supposed to be a man?

Yep, Vasquez was also meant to be a male role IIRC but Jenette Goldstein absolutely smashed it. :D

Damn I love those films.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The thing that I don't get when people get outraged for the 'historical inaccuracies ' is often they have looked past all the other ones in the game/movie but now there is a female or black person which apparently is a step too far.

Because you can accept certain concessions in the name of fun, what people found a little hard to swallow was a female soldier with a prosthetic arm on the front lines. I dare say the reason the character was added was if they didn't add anything the likes of Polygon and Waypoint would rip it to pieces for being a male power fantasy game with zero women in it.

FTR, I was not fussed about it.

Soldato
Yep, Vasquez was also meant to be a male role IIRC but Jenette Goldstein absolutely smashed it. :D

Damn I love those films.
Ah Vasquez also a badass and totally convincing. I found out not that long ago that she also played John Connors stepmum in T2. Probably common knowledge but was news to me.

"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?"
"No have you?"

Awesome.

Soldato
Because you can accept certain concessions in the name of fun, what people found a little hard to swallow was a female soldier with a prosthetic arm on the front lines. I dare say the reason the character was added was if they didn't add anything the likes of Polygon and Waypoint would rip it to pieces for being a male power fantasy game with zero women in it.

FTR, I was not fussed about it.

In a game series where people jump out a jet head shot someone with a sniper then parachute into the falling jet and fly off? I would prefer the customisation be more period but people making a massive deal out of it and now somehow the series is ruined are hypocrites in my view.

Soldato
I'd imagine that would be a commercial decision as to the audience they pull in. It seems a little inaccurate though sure, though not something I was aware of until 5 minutes ago.

In the case of Patrick Stewart, it was an artistic decision:

http://www.playbill.com/article/patrick-stewart-stars-in-race-reversed-othello-in-dc-nov-17-com-72158 said:
It was Stewart who came up with the concept. "I've been imagining myself playing Othello and, in a sense, preparing for it, since I was about 14," he said in a statement. "When the time came that I was old enough and experienced enough to do it, it was the same time that it no longer became acceptable for a white actor to put on blackface and pretend to be African. One of my hopes for this production is that it will continue to say what a conventional production of Othello would say about racism and prejudice... To replace the black outsider with a white man in a black society will, I hope, encourage a much broader view of the fundamentals of racism."

It may be inaccurate but it's artistic licence, it's willing the suspension of disbelief. I don't see how it's any different to a black Bond.

Caporegime
It may be inaccurate but it's artistic licence, it's willing the suspension of disbelief. I don't see how it's any different to a black Bond.

Artistic licence doesn't mean you get carte blanche and are free from criticism.

With regards Bond being black, there are many exceptional characters who could pull it off, but it would be debated for many years as to "why" they were chosen and it would be argued it was "because they are black" and simply a PR move vs anything else.

In a game series where people jump out a jet head shot someone with a sniper then parachute into the falling jet and fly off? I would prefer the customisation be more period but people making a massive deal out of it and now somehow the series is ruined are hypocrites in my view.

As I said, it's what you want to let go in the name of fun.

Soldato
Artistic licence doesn't mean you get carte blanche and are free from criticism.

Oh, I agree entirely, I'm just trying to gauge where the line is drawn. There seems to be more of an issue around a black Bond than a white Othello — colour me surprised.

For the record, I do think the BF5 character is a bit out of place (assuming it's meant to be a realistic representation of WW2 and not a Castle Wolfenstein-esque take on the genre).

With regards Bond being black, there are many exceptional characters who could pull it off, but it would be debated for many years as to "why" they were chosen and it would be argued it was "because they are black" and simply a PR move vs anything else.

I'd love to see Idris Elba play Bond, not because he's black, but because I think he'd bring another level of grittiness to the role (assuming he played it like his character in Luther). They started going down the gritty route with Daniel Craig, I'd like to see them take it a step further. I don't think it would be seen as a PR move over a talented actor bringing something new to an established role.

Soldato
I really don't get the thing about Bond being black or not. Each new actor brings their own interpretation to the character. It's not like the audience is even asked to think of them as the same Bond. Why can't he be black?

Pet Northerner
Don
I'd love to see Idris Elba play Bond, not because he's black, but because I think he'd bring another level of grittiness to the role (assuming he played it like his character in Luther). They started going down the gritty route with Daniel Craig, I'd like to see them take it a step further. I don't think it would be seen as a PR move over a talented actor bringing something new to an established role.

I too would love to see Idris as Bond - for the same reasons as yourself.

Back
Top Bottom